Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 41,966 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bye bye grandfathered unlimited data

Tip us?

crobs808
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic233 View Post
If you are in a Sprint 4G area, go for it.
I had to have an Airave device just to make a phone call.
Sprint changed their billing, I opted out with no etf's(a moto photon and a nexus s4g, about one month old), went to Verizon, signed on, came home, had full bars of 3G, and a week later they flipped the switch and I now have 4G.
I sent an open signal text to my old Sprint rep showing her the 4G and strength. WHat else could she do?
I recommend against going with Sprint as a "solution" to keep unlimited data. It's only a matter of time (soon) that they will follow suit...then you'll just be locked into worse CDMA/4G coverage for 2more yrs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA

Purist (less is more) | VZW SGS3 | CM 10.1 | Android Virtualization

crobs808
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobreak1970 View Post
Believe me I love FoxFi. My wife is a by the book type person.
She uses the hotspot feature for work as a necessity. No matter how many times I tell her that I'm 99% sure she wouldn't get caught using FoxFi she comes back and says that what if they do? I need this for work! I then just sigh.
Do you do what's right just not to get caught, or do you do what's right because it's right?

smokedkill
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobs808 View Post
I recommend against going with Sprint as a "solution" to keep unlimited data. It's only a matter of time (soon) that they will follow suit...then you'll just be locked into worse CDMA/4G coverage for 2more yrs.

It will be a while before sprint goes that route. They plan on getting many additional customers due to the change with Verizon. Its in their best interest to keep unlimited data for at least another few years. While Verizon can boast about its network in commercials, sprint will be able to boast about unlimited data.

I believe I will go the route of buying people's phones from Craigslist when they want the next newest phone available and I will get it for close to the subsidized price just a few months after release. I'm always seeing people sell the newest phones on there when they go out and get something better. I typically see them going for around $300 2 months after they are released and the owner doesn't like the phone. Sometimes even lower.

Keeping unlimited data is a necessity for me, getting a brand new phone isn't, as long as it was taken care of. When you truly maximize the benefits of owning a smartphone, eating data isn't anything.

jmath679
Old
Thanks Meter 9
My biggest issue with these plans is that you will be paying $20 more per data tier just because of the shared plan. So you get to pay more for less data that is being used by 2 or more people. STUPID. Add some real value and drop every tier by 20.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

crobs808
Old
(Last edited by crobs808; 12th July 2012 at 10:34 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 240
For anyone wondering, here is some clarification for those of us grandfathered in on unlimited data. You can keep your data plan, even when you renew your contract, and you will still only pay $30 a month, but you just lose the ability to get a discount on phones (i.e. no more $599 phone for $199 at time of renewal). You just have to buy your own phone (Amazon, eBay, etc.) or buy from VZW at full retail cost.

Here's my chat log with the VZW rep from today (July 12, 2012):
Quote:
Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with 'Kayla'
Kayla: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: I am grandfathered in on unlimited data. How long will that last? Will I be forced to switch to these terrible 'Share Everything' plans?
Kayla: I'd be happy to assist you.
Kayla: You will not be forced to switch to a share everything plan however if you wish to keep your unlimited data you will upgrade at full retail price.
You: I am paying $30 a month. For the SAME usage I have now (4GB) does that mean it will cost ($110 just for data) 40+70?
Kayla: Yes but that includes unlimited talk and text as well.
You: Oh, I don't need that. I use less than my 700 minutes
You: So, if I am paying $30 now for unlimited data, then how much will it cost when I have to renew my plan (to stay on unlimited)?
Kayla: Your plan will stay the same you just have to pay full retail price for a new phone
You: So we can keep unlimited for $30/month as long as I have service with Verizon, even into future renewals as long as I buy my own devices?
Kayla: That's correct.
You: Great, thanks for the information. I will save this conversation if that is OK with you.
Kayla: Yes it certainly is.
You: Thanks, have a good day.
Kayla: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
You: That's all.
Kayla: Thank you for visiting Verizon Wireless; it’s been a pleasure chatting with you. Have a great day!
Thank you for chatting with us, visit our Online Workshops to learn more about your devices. Click "End Chat" to tell us how we did today via our survey.
I may not switch to Sprint after all, it just depends on what kind of deal I can get on the phone I want when the time comes. I am very happy now that I have actual ICS on my Bionic though. Stable and everything works, so I think I'll be OK for a while now.

The Following User Says Thank You to crobs808 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kram28
Old
Thanks Meter 1
What ics rom are you using? The one i tried wasn't stable enough to be my daily driver..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

icebear8
Old
Thanks Meter 19
As long as you dont buy a new phone with the 2yr price then they will not take it away. But if your coming from 3g to 4g then they will force you to get off unlimited.

As long as you pay full price or buy used then you will be good. Last week i just bought a used droid 4 i took my samsung stratosphere sim and just threw it in the droid and everything works (and i checked my plan still unlimited)

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

linuxgator
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear8 View Post
As long as you dont buy a new phone with the 2yr price then they will not take it away. But if your coming from 3g to 4g then they will force you to get off unlimited.

As long as you pay full price or buy used then you will be good. Last week i just bought a used droid 4 i took my samsung stratosphere sim and just threw it in the droid and everything works (and i checked my plan still unlimited)

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app
I converted my 3G plan to 4G and kept my unlimited plan. This was just last week, since they changed the policy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

audiomixman
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I do not think the 3g 4g switch is an issue. I've gone back and forth between my 4G Bionic and my 3G D3 and not seen any changes to my plan. From what I understand, "data" is "data'. It doesn't matter if it's 3G or 4G plan-wise with Verizon.

Crobs808 - You said "renew your contract". Buying a full price or used doesn't require a contract renewal. Buying a discounted/subsidized device does require contract renewal. I've been out of contract for years (and loving it! :)

projektorboy
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobs808 View Post
For anyone wondering, here is some clarification for those of us grandfathered in on unlimited data. You can keep your data plan, even when you renew your contract, and you will still only pay $30 a month, but you just lose the ability to get a discount on phones (i.e. no more $599 phone for $199 at time of renewal). You just have to buy your own phone (Amazon, eBay, etc.) or buy from VZW at full retail cost.
If you buy a phone at full price, there is no renewal or contract involved. You're just buying a phone. Subsidized devices and contract renewals are not mutually exclusive. You'll simply stay month-to-month and can leave VZW at any time without an ETF as long as you keep buying phones at full price.