Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,657 Members 43,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MHL Adapter Question

Tip us?

stanglifemike
Old
Thanks Meter 423
I use Battery Monitor Widget Pro. It shows between 75-135mah, and yes its green. I guess I can take some pics with my 4th Gen IPod Touch. Why are some of you so set on the fact that its impossible for your phone to charge while streaming movies through the a MHL adaptor?
Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium
Main Phone: White Samsung Note 3 + 64GB card
Other Phone: White HTC Evo 4G LTE
Main Tablet: Asus Infinity 32GB Internal + 64GB card
Main Tablet: 2013 Nexus 7 32GB

98 GT: Lots of bolt-ons, suspension, exhaust.
06 GT: Vortech supercharger 10 lbs boost, full suspension, exhaust, too much to list here
Both purchased new and all mods done by me

Impulses
Old
(Last edited by Impulses; 24th October 2011 at 12:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 23
I never said it was impossible, just unlikely depending on what you're doing. I did say a combination of settings/kernels and/or less taxing content could allow for a positive charge.

Netflix streaming must be less taxing than Youtube or even local playback of Green Hornet for what you're saying be possible, and I'd love to figure out why. I'm not doubting you right now btw, just trying to get more info, I canceled Netflix so I can't test that.

Lemme ask you this, does Netflix allow you to turn off the phone's screen while playing back thru MHL? That could very well account for the difference we're seeing, the phone's native player wouldn't allow it while playing Green Hornet and with Youtube the screen remained on as well to display playback controls.

P.S. You're still charging like 8-10x slower than the normal rate off the charger, but that's still better than the borderline non-charge I saw with Green Hornet, I didn't think that clip's DRM and whatever other crap it's got going on would make much of a difference buy I guess it does.

I'll try some other local content later, maybe pick up a Hulu trial, anyone know of a player that will allow you to continue playback thru MHL with the screen off? Guess I oughta try 0 brightness too.

willfck4beer
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Thanks for the Battery Monitor Widget info! I had initially rejected off the cuff as a simple pretty widget... awesome to know there's something out there that reports actual ma usage. Appreciate it!

FWIW, Netflix does seem much less demanding than say HBO GO app...
for acceptable framerate/lack of sluggishness, my evo3d only needed to have 647MHZ ish set as max in set cpu for netflix (BTW doesn't have an option to turn of screen while HDMI playback as far as I can tell); whereas the HBO Go app required something on the order of 900ish MHz to not stutter.

Impulses
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Interesting, I'll check out what speed the CPU is running at with Youtube and other local content later... Could be Netflix is just vastly more efficient, I can see how higher quality local media and/or background DRM could push for higher utilization with GH (and the Youtube app always seemed like a hog to me, it behaves better on the 3D than my old EVO 4G but still...).

givemelove
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hey Guys,

First off, I'd like to thank you for your input on MHL in this thread; I was able to learn more in 5mins than browsing through the net.

I recently acquired a Galaxy Nexus and a MHL Adapter from Monoprice. Although the combination works like a charm on my TV, with the MHL Adapter plugged in my wall AC Adapter, I still fail to understand how it determines the power source is an AC Adapter vs something else.

Here's my objective and here are a couple things I've attempted:
The objective is to be able to mirror the screen of my GNext onto my car nav monitor (All the car-related parts are there and tested already).
I do have a dual USB Car adapter (Monoprice) and one of those external battery blocks which can charge at 2Amps as well from monoprice.

Here are also a couple tests performed:
Tweaked USB Cable = Cable with D- and D+ shorted together

1 - AC Wall adapter + MHL Adapter + Standard USB cable = Success (AC Charging)
2 - Power Cube + MHL Adapter + Standard USB cable = Failure (no charge reported)
3 - Car Adapter + MHL Adapter + Standard USB cable = Failure (No charge reported)
4 - Power Cube + Standard USB Cable = Success (USB Charging)
5 - Car Adapter + Standard USB Cable = Success (USB Charging)
6 - Power Cube + Tweaked USB Cable = Success (AC Charging)
7 - Car Adapter + Tweaked USB Cable = Success (AC Charging)
8 - AC Wall adapter + Tweaked USB Cable = Success (AC Charging)
9 - Power Cube + MHL Adapter + Tweaked USB cable = Failure (no charge reported)
10 - Car Adapter + MHL Adapter + Tweaked USB cable = Failure (no charge reported)

At this point, I don't see any additional tests I can perform and I still fail to understand why the MHL Adapter (Which requirement per the doc is:
Quote:
An audio/video equipment with 5 volts and 500 ma, continue to provide power for portable devices and charging
)wouldn't work with either the Battery pack or the Car charger (which can both deliver up to 2Amps).

Would any of you be able to point me to the right direction to make this work?

Thanks for reading.

Impulses
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Those other chargers don't have the proper pins shorted so they appear to the phone/mhl adapter as if you had the phone plugged into a PC's port, common issue, not hard to fix.

givemelove
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for your response, Impulses,

I did try to short the pins at the cable level during my tests; That should have done the trick; but I'm no expert on the subject.

Would you happen to know a model that has these pins already shorted?

Thanks much,

Impulses
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by givemelove View Post
Thanks for your response, Impulses,

I did try to short the pins at the cable level during my tests; That should have done the trick; but I'm no expert on the subject.

Would you happen to know a model that has these pins already shorted?

Thanks much,
Hmm, I glossed over the fact that you tested with a shorted cable... That should've done the trick but I still can't imagine what else it could be. What kinda charger are you looking for exactly? I stopped bothering with tracking down properly shorted car chargers so now I just get whichever cheap charger I like and I short it at the charger level (never wanted to short a cable I might later confuse and screw something up with it).

I do have an Banker portable battery pack (5600mAh, $33 on AMZ) that does 1A without any mods, I can test it with my MHL adapter or whatever if you need. Just because a charger can do 2A doesn't mean it always will supply that tho (depending on the connection).

There may be something about the MP adapter that I'm overlooking too, I'm surprised it can identify itself as an AC charging adapter... My T-Mobile MHL adapter always showed up as USB charging which was my biggest issue with it. I'm rather confused now, I think the Thunder's loss has left me in a daze.

bignibb
Old
Thanks Meter 85
I just picked up a DLNA adapter and I have two mhl adapters, one is the T-mobile version and the other is the offical htc Sprint version. I'm looking to sell these to someone that may be interested.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

themotivatorpak
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Suggestion

Can any one suggest some good vendor to ship MHL cable. Regards