[Q] DHD booting, but no display activity. How to repair?

15th June 2012, 11:08 AM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Flag rAdelaide
Thanks Meter: 6

136 posts
More
That sucks! Self detonating phone. Does yours still vibrate and 'turn on'?

Haven't actually managed to clear the data. I'm ordering this part here (http://www.parts4repair.com/htc-desi...fpc-connector/) and I'm going to attempt to pull it apart and fix it.

If I can get it to work again I'll sell the One V I'm using and go back to the old faithful!
15th June 2012, 03:39 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 186

1,103 posts
More
Well this saves me from starting a new thread :P haha

Anyway i am having the exact same problem as you have.
My dad brought home a Desire HD from work wich was not working so i am trying to fix it.
The phone boots, it vibrates ones and after a minute it makes the boot sound.
But nothing responses and the lights wont turn on.
Also no charging light..

Also it does not charge but usb does connect.

Could this be the FPC connector or the screen?
Last edited by johrie; 15th June 2012 at 03:46 PM.
15th June 2012, 10:18 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Flag rAdelaide

136 posts
More
Hmmm...interesting, exact same issue as mine.

Well, I've ordered the FPC connector replacement part I linked above...going to attempt to play around with it when it arrives and see if I can breathe new life into the phone. So I can tell you how that goes...

Although:
1. Would the charging light and screen problem be connected? Is this feasible? Or does it suggest something else is likely shot?

2. I believe the FPC connector requires a solder to replace. This could be a bit ambitious on my part to attempt to repair...any ideas on what sort of a solder would be suitable?

Sent from my HTC One V using xda premium
15th June 2012, 10:32 PM   |  #14  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 881

1,142 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitup

Well, I've ordered the FPC connector replacement part I linked above...going to attempt to play around with it when it arrives and see if I can breathe new life into the phone. So I can tell you how that goes...

Although:
1. Would the charging light and screen problem be connected? Is this feasible? Or does it suggest something else is likely shot?

2. I believe the FPC connector requires a solder to replace. This could be a bit ambitious on my part to attempt to repair...any ideas on what sort of a solder would be suitable?

no clean flux core solder would work best, preferably something very thin (about .015"). A small bottle of noclean flux would also help and you probably will need lead free solder as that is likely what they used on the board to begin with, and lead and leadfree dont typically mix as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darunion For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2012, 12:23 AM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member
Flag rAdelaide

136 posts
More
Thanks for the quick reply...

Something like this?
http://www.oritech.com.au/productDet...roductID=23244

What sort of iron would be suited? Would any of these suit?
http://www.oritech.com.au/categories...categoryID=321

Would you say it'd be a difficult process? I've soldered before, but a that was a while ago in high school...

Also the cost of all this equipment will far outweigh the cost of the $3 FPC connector spare!
16th June 2012, 02:24 AM   |  #16  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 881

1,142 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply...

Something like this?
http://www.oritech.com.au/productDet...roductID=23244

What sort of iron would be suited? Would any of these suit?
http://www.oritech.com.au/categories...categoryID=321

Would you say it'd be a difficult process? I've soldered before, but a that was a while ago in high school...

Also the cost of all this equipment will far outweigh the cost of the $3 FPC connector spare!

yes, those should both work fine. ya it is costly for equipment. i have a edsyn iron i use at home and solder i get from work. i would say it can be tricky, i havent seen the connector but im sure its similar to other inline ribbon connectors. remember, short burst soldering, heating it for too long will take the pad off the pcb, and repairing THAT can become very difficult.
16th June 2012, 11:20 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 186

1,103 posts
More
Quote:

Although:

Thanks. We have a spare DHD with broken glass here wich my sister is using unter her SGS is back from repair. Will swap the motherboard when her phone is back.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
booting, dead, desire, screen
Previous Thread Next Thread