Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,440 Members 50,994 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Firmware][ICS]UNOFFICIAL CM9 for the Infuse 4G (07/28/2012)

Tip us?

araemo
Old
(Last edited by araemo; 14th June 2012 at 04:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
1) The linaro code will deliver nowhere near what users are expecting from it. I believe that in their benchmarks, they disabled a bunch of hardware acceleration functions in order to rely more on the CPU to do heavy lifting. In addition, our GPU drivers (and many others) are binary blobs. You won't see significant changes on any device that relies heavily on vendor blobs.
2) The linaro prep work has broken a ton of ****. Tethering was busted for a day or so, and sometimes in the past few days something got broken that prevents a number of apps from pulling information from the internet (for example, Foursquare can't pull the list of friends' checkins.)
#2 is really what I was thinking. That's part of why I simply asked in general if others are seeing the same issue or not instead of digging into it right away.

I'm fully expecting to get a GS3 next week, but I'll still have my infuse, which means I could do work on the infuse without having to take it back to a working state at the end of the evening, and might be able to help out more (or at least, worry less about breaking it in the process).. or at least more willing/able to be a quick test mule.

Now, #1 being said.. the linaro improvements still seem like an overall good thing for android in the future, since they're getting some changes integrated into gcc and the kernel to allow better arm optimization to be done by the compiler.. some people who have had good luck on nexus devices say their biggest difference has been battery life rather than raw performance. Which makes a lot of sense if you're using the hardware to its full potential rather than doing the same thing with more basic instructions..

But yeah, given the large amount of binary blobs in performance-critical and battery-draining code, it won't help that stuff until the toolchain is mature enough that samsung et al want to use it when they build their binaries.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to araemo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jblparisi
Old
Thanks Meter 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
1) The linaro code will deliver nowhere near what users are expecting from it. I believe that in their benchmarks, they disabled a bunch of hardware acceleration functions in order to rely more on the CPU to do heavy lifting. In addition, our GPU drivers (and many others) are binary blobs. You won't see significant changes on any device that relies heavily on vendor blobs.
2) The linaro prep work has broken a ton of ****. Tethering was busted for a day or so, and sometimes in the past few days something got broken that prevents a number of apps from pulling information from the internet (for example, Foursquare can't pull the list of friends' checkins.)

I won't be posting a build until someone figures out WHAT broke Foursquare and fixes it... I know it definitely isn't bionic or dalvik... (This is starting to seem to be a problem across all CM devices. Unfortunately it happened right when Foursquare did a major app update that has driven a deluge of negative reviews, so initial assumptions were that it was on Foursquare's end.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by araemo View Post
#2 is really what I was thinking. That's part of why I simply asked in general if others are seeing the same issue or not instead of digging into it right away.

I'm fully expecting to get a GS3 next week, but I'll still have my infuse, which means I could do work on the infuse without having to take it back to a working state at the end of the evening, and might be able to help out more (or at least, worry less about breaking it in the process).. or at least more willing/able to be a quick test mule.

Now, #1 being said.. the linaro improvements still seem like an overall good thing for android in the future, since they're getting some changes integrated into gcc and the kernel to allow better arm optimization to be done by the compiler.. some people who have had good luck on nexus devices say their biggest difference has been battery life rather than raw performance. Which makes a lot of sense if you're using the hardware to its full potential rather than doing the same thing with more basic instructions..

But yeah, given the large amount of binary blobs in performance-critical and battery-draining code, it won't help that stuff until the toolchain is mature enough that samsung et al want to use it when they build their binaries.
Thanks for the reply.

That makes two of us, I am also jumping ship to the GS3. The announcement confirming the Wolfson DAC and Supercurios commitment to device sealed the deal for me.

I considered the GNexus and tried it briefly but just didn't do it for me.

I will likely keep the Infuse for testing/development purposes or possibly donate to a good home/cause.

araemo
Old
Thanks Meter 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblparisi View Post
Thanks for the reply.

That makes two of us, I am also jumping ship to the GS3. The announcement confirming the Wolfson DAC and Supercurios commitment to device sealed the deal for me.
Is it really confirmed for the US models? I know the teardowns of the I9300 had it, but I haven't seen any reports of anyone having real US hardware in-hand.

I had a lapse of faith shortly after I posted that.. samsung has no device-specific car dock ready for the launch.. And no official plans I could find about releasing one. (The official line is that they have a 'universal' car dock that works for it).. I will REALLY miss the infuse style car dock w/ charging and audio out.. I started considering the One X again, but a car dock alone does not make up for the lack of an sdcard slot, OLED display, 1GB ram, and decent unlocked bootloaders. ;P

zacharysblubaugh
Old
Thanks Meter 195

DONATE TO ME
5/27 fixed all my wifi issues but something I've noticed since the 5/19 is that you can't download a .zip or .apk using the browser before 5/19 I could this is a bigger deal for me for the fact that I don't have internet in the home so I can't download it to the computer and transfer it I did manage to get a 3rd party downloader to work

And the mms hasn't worked right for as long as I can remember I have to go into dev tools/connectivity/and stop then start moms for it to work for about 15 min then I have to do it again

If anyone knows easy fixes for this that would be great and other than that everything else works great I can't wait for the next update keep up the good work entropy

Sent from my SGH-I997 running cm9 using XDA

araemo
Old
Thanks Meter 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharysblubaugh View Post
5/27 fixed all my wifi issues but something I've noticed since the 5/19 is that you can't download a .zip or .apk using the browser before 5/19 I could this is a bigger deal for me for the fact that I don't have internet in the home so I can't download it to the computer and transfer it I did manage to get a 3rd party downloader to work
Stock browser seems to work for me in 5/27.

Quote:
And the mms hasn't worked right for as long as I can remember I have to go into dev tools/connectivity/and stop then start moms for it to work for about 15 min then I have to do it again
Read the first 3 pages of the thread, there are instructions for replacing your apns-conf.xml early in the thread, that worked pretty well for most people who did them.

marty331
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Stock browser seems to work for me in 5/27.

Read the first 3 pages of the thread, there are instructions for replacing your apns-conf.xml early in the thread, that worked pretty well for most people who did them.
That link is dead, would you be able to copy the file and post it here for us? Thanks!!

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda premium
Current Devices:
Phone: Nexus 4
ROMs: CM10.1

Device: Nexus 7
ROM: Stock Rooted
CM10

Previous:

Phone: Infuse SGH-I997
ROMs: Infused 2.2
Serendipity VII
CM7
CM9
CM10

Device: Kindle Fire
ROMs: CM7
ICS/CM9

araemo
Old
(Last edited by araemo; 15th June 2012 at 06:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty331 View Post
That link is dead, would you be able to copy the file and post it here for us? Thanks!!

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda premium
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52197689/apns-conf.xml

That's mine.. place in /system/etc, reboot, and then reset your apn settings to default. (Your current settings are not stored in the file, but resetting to default re-reads from that file)

The key is apparently changing the mms proxy for "ATT" to use an IP address rather than a hostname..

That makes 0 sense at all, since if you look up the IP for that hostname, that's the IP you get, so it points to either A: a software bug in the MMS stack in CM, or perhaps more likely, B: That DNS lookup returns differently depending on whether you are internal or external to AT&T's mobile network?

Either way, that fix seems to fix it for many people.. but many is not everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to araemo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 24110

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for reminding me, I really need to find some time to get CWM 5.x working on my Gingerbread kernel - That will permit people to move between CM9 and TW firmwares more easily.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

araemo
Old
Thanks Meter 616
Alright, a fresh build on a clean wiped device.. boots fine, dunno what's wrong with your builds jblparisi.. sorry.

Fresh build on a clean wiped device.. GPS does not work. Logcat and dmesg attached.

As an aside, going back to UCLB3 for this test is I think the first time a stock gingerbread has been on my phone.

GPS Test details:
  1. Flashed new build (Twice since I started in red CWM)
  2. booted it
  3. skipped account setups
  4. adb installed gps-test
  5. made sure I had HSPA+ (for ephemeris download)
  6. turned on GPS and held it near a window.
    • GPS icon doesn't flash the center dot at all, it's just the empty crosshairs.
    • No satellites appear in GPS-Test view. Even in the middle of my house where GPS can't lock, it still shows some satellites in GPS-Test in 5-27.
Screenshot:
Attached Files
File Type: zip gpsfail.zip - [Click for QR Code] (67.7 KB, 2 views)

zacharysblubaugh
Old
(Last edited by zacharysblubaugh; 16th June 2012 at 04:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 195

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Alright, a fresh build on a clean wiped device.. boots fine, dunno what's wrong with your builds jblparisi.. sorry.

Fresh build on a clean wiped device.. GPS does not work. Logcat and dmesg attached.

As an aside, going back to UCLB3 for this test is I think the first time a stock gingerbread has been on my phone.

GPS Test details:
  1. Flashed new build (Twice since I started in red CWM)
  2. booted it
  3. skipped account setups
  4. adb installed gps-test
  5. made sure I had HSPA+ (for ephemeris download)
  6. turned on GPS and held it near a window.
    • GPS icon doesn't flash the center dot at all, it's just the empty crosshairs.
    • No satellites appear in GPS-Test view. Even in the middle of my house where GPS can't lock, it still shows some satellites in GPS-Test in 5-27.
Screenshot:
Hmmmm..... I'm on 5/27 and I used GPS while driving today with no problems that I could see

Edit: of course I just flashed it over 5/19 and I didn't wipe anything
Sent from my SGH-I997 running cm9 using XDA