[Q] Back Camera Problem and/or Replacement

9th January 2012, 11:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Binan
Thanks Meter: 30

203 posts
More
Hi,

Drop my a500 in the hardwood floor, about 2 to 3 feet i think, and my a500 is inside the acer official case,, so i thought it is nothing to bother about.. test it everything works as the i open my camera to check, then the problems struck..
the front is fine but the back one is not..

So my question is... I see green and a lot of distorting lines,, when i take a picture it is all green..(Back Camera)

so should i replace it?? i mean buy a new parts
(if so where could i find or bought one of the camera)
(i did try to google it but i didn't find any)

or the camera just need a reset i mean pry open the a500, dissemble the board, remove the camera from it's connector the reconnect it again?

Thank you...
21st April 2012, 06:15 PM   |  #2  
Flag North East
Thanks Meter: 2

62 posts
More
Question
Sorry to re-ignite an old thread, but....

I'm having the same issue with mine. I've read elsewhere it can happen if the tablet gets a knock from the wrong angle, it loosens the ribbon cable to the camera slightly.
Did you ever get this fixed? If not, watch this space as I am going to investigate the internals myself...
21st April 2012, 07:56 PM   |  #3  
Flag North East
Thanks Meter: 2

62 posts
More
Problem Solved....so far anyway.....
After stripping and rebuilding my A500 I can tell you that, so far as I can tell, I have solved the problem.
The rear camera module seems to be very loosely attatched to the motherboard by a pushfit connection (like laptop dial-up modems are connected).
The process went as follows:
1) I removed the camera module
2) I checked the connections were not damaged
3) I checked that the plastic cradle that supports the module on the motherboard for fit and position
4) I replaced the camera module, making sure it was CORRECTLY ALIGNED BEFORE pushing it back down
5) As an extra precaution before reassembly, I taped the module down to the board from the socket side, just in case it ever decides to dislodge again.
6) Reassemble the tablet.

Whether it was the strip and rebuild that corrected the problem or the NECESSARY reset via the tiny reset button (it wouldn't reboot without resetting, probably due to the battery removal on strip down), I'm not sure but the problem seems to have rectified itself for now.

If it ever happens again, I'll repost here to confirm that it was the hard reset that helped.
For anyone that has problems with their A500/A501, here is a link to the service manual hosted online
17th June 2012, 05:32 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Binan
Thanks Meter: 30

203 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressfreesoul

After stripping and rebuilding my A500 I can tell you that, so far as I can tell, I have solved the problem.
The rear camera module seems to be very loosely attatched to the motherboard by a pushfit connection (like laptop dial-up modems are connected).
The process went as follows:
1) I removed the camera module
2) I checked the connections were not damaged
3) I checked that the plastic cradle that supports the module on the motherboard for fit and position
4) I replaced the camera module, making sure it was CORRECTLY ALIGNED BEFORE pushing it back down
5) As an extra precaution before reassembly, I taped the module down to the board from the socket side, just in case it ever decides to dislodge again.
6) Reassemble the tablet.

Whether it was the strip and rebuild that corrected the problem or the NECESSARY reset via the tiny reset button (it wouldn't reboot without resetting, probably due to the battery removal on strip down), I'm not sure but the problem seems to have rectified itself for now.

If it ever happens again, I'll repost here to confirm that it was the hard reset that helped.
For anyone that has problems with their A500/A501, here is a link to the service manual hosted online

Dude this is an awesome reference you have here... amazing manual at service site you have.. i did send it back since it's still under warranty and everything got fixed for me.. and thanks for the awesome tip you gave and thank you for being part of this community..

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium HD app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread