5,597,937 Members 38,616 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Physical Mods

Tip us?

jmtheiss
Old
Thanks Meter 774
SOC = System on a Chip. It combines several hardware pieces into a single chip, which (I believe) reduces the overall footprint and cost of the chip, making it easier to put into our phones.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezrd View Post
I was wondering my self if possible to add a second core

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
I don't see what's so hard about it - I did this a long time ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmtheiss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Darkangels6sic6
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
On what with what?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

Darkangels6sic6
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-eock View Post
Not possible, maybe speaker or camera. But not CPU, RAM, GPU. SoC device so nope. Sorry

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
Why is it all impossible? Its risky yes, but I don't see not possible. Maybe social a lot less possible due to comparability. Ram on the other hand seems much more likely. Be really nice to throw some speedier higher mem sticks in. Camera would simply need another with same connector..well easy part anyway. Speaker is trickier due to shape and connectt

jmtheiss
Old
Thanks Meter 774
The issue with adding ram is that the location if the rest of the ram is tied in with the processor and gpu in a single chip. Unlike a computer motherboard, the board in our phones doesn't have a DIMM slot to accept more RAM.

As I'm seeing it, you would need to completely replace the SOC, which would require you to write new drivers for all the phone's hardware so that they could understand what the chip is telling them.

Theoretically possible, but practically unrealistic.

As for the other mods, those could possibly be done, but i don't know what all would be entailed I'm doing that.

Darkangels6sic6
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtheiss View Post
The issue with adding ram is that the location if the rest of the ram is tied in with the processor and gpu in a single chip. Unlike a computer motherboard, the board in our phones doesn't have a DIMM slot to accept more RAM.

As I'm seeing it, you would need to completely replace the SOC, which would require you to write new drivers for all the phone's hardware so that they could understand what the chip is telling them.

Theoretically possible, but practically unrealistic.

As for the other mods, those could possibly be done, but i don't know what all would be entailed I'm doing that.
I know this about the SoC. Which is why I know that one is more unlikely. I did not think the ram was on the SoC. I know its not like PC dims. These are microscopic little pieces soldered into the board. The camera and speaker sound trickier due to their connections. Though if you find the right parts it should be simple assuming the phone accepts them

Tags
cappy, hardware, mod, moddifications, physical