Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,603 Members 41,117 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung tab 10.1 OR Samsung g. Note 10.1?

Tip us?

roland0fgilead
Old
Thanks Meter 7
If price isn't a concern, I'd say wait for the Note. Why buy last year's model when the new one is right around the corner? The processor bump will probably be enough to justify the price difference, but I'm happy enough with my Tab to sit this round out.
Phones: HTC Apache -> HTC Titan -> HTC Touch Pro -> Motorola Droid -> Motorola Droid X2 -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Toro)
Other devices: B&N Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

daniel_fm
Old
Thanks Meter 14
as I have mentioned in other threads my experience with 3g model has not been good, as in Samsung stock experience.

The hardware is good, there is no denying of that of course, and if you can mod it you can get pretty good results (I am happy with the latest ROM I installed, Overcome + pershoot kernel).

Although samsung seems to be delaying ics upgrade in favor of new hardware and in my case in Spain I haven't received a single update to my 3g from stock HC 3.1, and stock is everything but functional after little use, not to mention no launcher hw acceleration so when you have a few icons, dragging them around can be infuriating, of course forget about live wallpapers, screen not refreshing certain elements after a while, reboots, and similar utter failure.

From what I am reading Asus is giving better support and motorola xoom already has ICS.

I even have a college at work who is talking wonders about a chinese tab (Onda?) which is much cheaper and already working with ICS.

I suggest you consider the manufacturer.

dannyboy22
Old
Thanks Meter 5
So here it is June. Any rumored dates for the Galaxy Note 10.1?

And will that justify a new forum, or will we continue with this one?

BretonGirl
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_fm View Post
as I have mentioned in other threads my experience with 3g model has not been good, as in Samsung stock experience.

The hardware is good, there is no denying of that of course, and if you can mod it you can get pretty good results (I am happy with the latest ROM I installed, Overcome + pershoot kernel).

Although samsung seems to be delaying ics upgrade in favor of new hardware and in my case in Spain I haven't received a single update to my 3g from stock HC 3.1, and stock is everything but functional after little use, not to mention no launcher hw acceleration so when you have a few icons, dragging them around can be infuriating, of course forget about live wallpapers, screen not refreshing certain elements after a while, reboots, and similar utter failure.

From what I am reading Asus is giving better support and motorola xoom already has ICS.

I even have a college at work who is talking wonders about a chinese tab (Onda?) which is much cheaper and already working with ICS.

I suggest you consider the manufacturer.

I don't have any of those problems with my Galaxy Tab 10.1. Dragging icons is fine, live wallpapers work fine, everything refreshes as it should, and I've not had any spontaneous reboots. I'm not rooted and everything seems zippy and smooth. Best tablet I've had so far. I'd like ICS but I'm willing to be patient. I'm sure they have their hands full making sure it's stable and working properly with Touchwiz. Anyone waiting for it through a carrier should be angry with them, not Samsung. The carriers are the ones responsible for pushing the update and most of them drag their feet for some reason.

msedek
Old
Thanks Meter 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretonGirl View Post
I don't have any of those problems with my Galaxy Tab 10.1. Dragging icons is fine, live wallpapers work fine, everything refreshes as it should, and I've not had any spontaneous reboots. I'm not rooted and everything seems zippy and smooth. Best tablet I've had so far. I'd like ICS but I'm willing to be patient. I'm sure they have their hands full making sure it's stable and working properly with Touchwiz. Anyone waiting for it through a carrier should be angry with them, not Samsung. The carriers are the ones responsible for pushing the update and most of them drag their feet for some reason.
Agree with this and i got no carrier limitations since i got international sim unlocked Tab and they cant prevent My upgrades

Sent from my GT-P7500 using xda premium

Timelessblur
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Personally I say neither and go with Asus. Of the tablets Samsung has been amount the worse at providing updates and failing to do so.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

BretonGirl
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelessblur View Post
Personally I say neither and go with Asus. Of the tablets Samsung has been amount the worse at providing updates and failing to do so.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Untrue. LG and Motorola have been far worse. Again, any carrier locked device is at the mercy of the carrier, not Samsung. Samsung may very well have pushed the ICS update to all the major carriers but they haven't pushed it out to their customers yet. Probably because they want to shove all their own UIs and bloatware on it first.

vasp3690
Old
(Last edited by vasp3690; 24th June 2012 at 07:27 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
I would be getting the tab sim free and adding a sim to it later on. I much rather not have a locked device if I can buy it depending on price. So I presume updating wont be an issue.

Still no word from samsung though about the release dates

sent with SGS3

vasp3690
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Near the end of june now and still nothing from samsung for this one...

sent with WSGS3