Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,360 Members 49,875 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Defective AMOLED Black Spots; How many is too many?

Tip us?

neoslink1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Exclamation [Q] Defective AMOLED Black Spots; How many is too many?

After receiving my SGS3, I was extremely satisfied with the overall look and feel of the device. One of the main selling points (for me at least) was the deep-black color that a Super AMOLED screen had to offer. In the process of rooting the phone, I discovered several of the infamous black spots on my screen, against the dark black Downloader screen. I estimate I have about 10-15 of these, each of which are about 2x2 pixels in size, with the exception of one pattern that looks like this. ---> -__- (not kidding, lol) I've been on the fence about trying to get a replacement. So my question to you all is; How many black spots is too many? Or do they even bother you enough to do anything about them?

OneStepAhead
Old
Thanks Meter 453
Diztronic Owner

My Current Devices:
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (AT&T)
  • OnePlus One
  • Asus Nexus 7
  • Apple iPad (Verizon - 3rd Generation)

awechris
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Info 2 lots is usual

hi. i discovered something like 10 black spots on my s3 in total dark environment with dead pixel testing software while screen was total black. that's the only case you can see them. i checked my wife's s3 right after and had also black spots under same conditions.
the day after i checked my brother's s3 - same.
all of them have a few - i doubt if there is any display without. but why bother? do you ever have blank screen in black room? i found out with dead pixel testing, but i canít trace them in any other case. Enjoy your phone and omit the insignificant - invincible - dots/patterns. i got over it after reading that is common and seeing the other two s3s. seeing your question i smiled understanding your worries of defective product it's common so omit it.

ImARaptor
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I don't like that my phone has but EVERY AMOLED screens have them. Trying to get it replaced won't do anything. My PSVita has them, my GS2, GS3 :/

falconator
Old
Thanks Meter 14
It seems to be a fact of life with current amoled screens, and is really not noticeable unless you are looking for it. If you're really concerned you're probably better off with slcd like the one x or evo lte.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

manchild83
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I would give returning it a shot if it annoys you, unfortunately the phone is in such high demand and short supply you may have to wait a little. I had the same issue with my Samsung laptop. I called customer service and they told me to return it to the store I bought it for an exchange. I did and they exchanged it for one that looks great.
Tags
amoled, black, galaxy, screen, spots