Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Deleted

[Q] Defective AMOLED Black Spots; How many is too many?

OP neoslink1

1st July 2012, 12:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 13

64 posts
Donate to Me
More
After receiving my SGS3, I was extremely satisfied with the overall look and feel of the device. One of the main selling points (for me at least) was the deep-black color that a Super AMOLED screen had to offer. In the process of rooting the phone, I discovered several of the infamous black spots on my screen, against the dark black Downloader screen. I estimate I have about 10-15 of these, each of which are about 2x2 pixels in size, with the exception of one pattern that looks like this. ---> -__- (not kidding, lol) I've been on the fence about trying to get a replacement. So my question to you all is; How many black spots is too many? Or do they even bother you enough to do anything about them?
1st July 2012, 01:47 AM   |  #2  
Flag Madison, WI
Thanks Meter: 524

1,383 posts
More
1st July 2012, 01:49 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 3

47 posts
Info 2 lots is usual
hi. i discovered something like 10 black spots on my s3 in total dark environment with dead pixel testing software while screen was total black. that's the only case you can see them. i checked my wife's s3 right after and had also black spots under same conditions.
the day after i checked my brother's s3 - same.
all of them have a few - i doubt if there is any display without. but why bother? do you ever have blank screen in black room? i found out with dead pixel testing, but i canít trace them in any other case. Enjoy your phone and omit the insignificant - invincible - dots/patterns. i got over it after reading that is common and seeing the other two s3s. seeing your question i smiled understanding your worries of defective product it's common so omit it.
1st July 2012, 03:54 AM   |  #4  
Flag Killeen
Thanks Meter: 27

161 posts
I don't like that my phone has but EVERY AMOLED screens have them. Trying to get it replaced won't do anything. My PSVita has them, my GS2, GS3 :/
1st July 2012, 04:22 AM   |  #5  
Flag Morgantown
Thanks Meter: 14

61 posts
It seems to be a fact of life with current amoled screens, and is really not noticeable unless you are looking for it. If you're really concerned you're probably better off with slcd like the one x or evo lte.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
1st July 2012, 04:44 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 6

55 posts
I would give returning it a shot if it annoys you, unfortunately the phone is in such high demand and short supply you may have to wait a little. I had the same issue with my Samsung laptop. I called customer service and they told me to return it to the store I bought it for an exchange. I did and they exchanged it for one that looks great.
Subscribe to Thread

Tags
amoled, black, galaxy, screen, spots
Previous Thread Next Thread