[ROM - 1.2] BETA ICS 4.0.X - Team DRH (Update 07/02/12)

Search This thread

topiratiko

Dec 22, 2010
Success! NV flash was flawless. Installing drivers was a pain in the pancreas but all is good. Ics on my buddies gtab he's ecstatic. Thx for the help raywaldo

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: raywaldo

BenziT

Jun 11, 2011
Hi all.

When ever i open an app. Its keeps saying no response. Either i wait or close. If i chose wait. It will load. But very slow.

Is there anyway to improve this?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

the3dman

Sep 5, 2007
Chicago :(
www.the3dman.com
Dear Fosser and Team DRH, kindly upload the latest build here.:D

As soon as the latest build is finished and ready for the public we will put it up here :) The leak that is floating in the wild is only a half finished test rom with an older rom/kernel version that some nice people decided to take from us and distribute without our permission. So please do not link to it on here. We prefer to release only our best work, and will release a new version when we think it is ready!

Last edited:

fosser2

Apr 14, 2011
Wisconsin
Alright guys, It's been a long 2 months but here is where we are at. Flash the ROM that is now available in the OP to experience the newest addition to the DRH family ROM 1.3! As always feedback is appreciated but don't make stupid comments or remarks. Lastly, I'm sure a few of you saw the leaked 1.3 build that hit the net earlier last week. I am totally cool with having testers but that kind of stuff really hurts a community/team. If you test the latest betas don't leak them please...It really is not asking much... As always ENJOY!!!

-fosser2

EDIT1: this is a full wipe not an upgrade. Redo the steps and you'll maximize the experience.

junooni

Jul 2, 2007
Dubai
You need to use the special NVflash zip file to reset the system partition to 250M before you can flash any of the ICS roms. It will also put 5504 version of the CWM on the tablet.

http://teamdrh.com/DRH-Downloads/Full_Stock_NVFlash_CWM_5504_Touch.zip

Done this 5 times. I've been trying to flash since the 1st iteration but getting the same results.

df command shows my system partition is at 256000 so I guess it's 250 megs

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

waltzdriod]

Jul 16, 2011
kharkov
anyone with this booting Issue on 1.3

I want to know am i the only one having this multiply flashes of the viewsonic 3 bird screen when you try to boot into the rom? I did everything right as i was to do even to extent of NV flashing but i still get this and the start up into the Rom takes like ages for me.Don't know what i did wrong along the line and this a clean Install. Any Ideas? Have being on this for the past 4hrs and still getting same result

lekhwani

I want to know am i the only one having this multiply flashes of the viewsonic 3 bird screen when you try to boot into the rom? I did everything right as i was to do even to extent of NV flashing but i still get this and the start up into the Rom takes like ages for me.Don't know what i did wrong along the line and this a clean Install. Any Ideas? Have being on this for the past 4hrs and still getting same result

I am still on the leaked version. And, the three birds do flash multiple (3-5) times before booting into rom, specially if you choose the reboot option.

Otherwise, if you first power off and power on after 1-2 minutes, there are very few flashes of birds.

Try and report.

waltzdriod]

Jul 16, 2011
kharkov
i powered off and powered back on after multiple flashing of the bird screen its now froozen on the screen still awaiting to know if it will come alive but nothing and hyave being waiting the past 8 minutes but nothing. I have Nvflashed up to 5 times since this new Rom was able to boot into it in one of them but after shutting down and powering on i cant boot into the rom again. I have tried everything from loading without sound to loading only rom but still the same. But my 1.2 boots fine. tried it on the tab again. Always appreciATE THE good work Of TEAM DRH and hope this will be rectified

Nospin

Nov 20, 2010
The ONLY 2 issues I'm having-

1. Google Search is giving me constant force closes, tried clearing data and fixing permissions.

2. Can't change lock screen weather from Celsius to Fahrenheit.

sloheim

Oct 17, 2010
I downloaded a "leaked" version several days ago. I flashed over top. Performance is AWESOME. No random "waits" or hangs, no force closes, etc. Couldnt ask for better.

So.. my question is.. why is this a full wipe? Did something change in the last several days? I'd like to get to the "official" build, but really am not interested in doing a full wipe.

Thoughts?

the3dman

Sep 5, 2007
Chicago :(
www.the3dman.com
I downloaded a "leaked" version several days ago. I flashed over top. Performance is AWESOME. No random "waits" or hangs, no force closes, etc. Couldnt ask for better.

So.. my question is.. why is this a full wipe? Did something change in the last several days? I'd like to get to the "official" build, but really am not interested in doing a full wipe.

Thoughts?

It is a completely different rom build which can cause issues if no wipes are done, however that is completely up to you if you do them or not, sometimes you can get lucky and other times you can run in to problems that force you to wipe anyway. Basically what I like to tell people is to do as you wish, but please do not post bug reports if you have not completed our steps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

CLICK PIC FOR TEAM HOMEPAGE​

Now for the moment you all have been waiting for...

Team DRH (Dirty Reset Hole) is proud to announce the public beta for Ice Cream Sandwich. The name "DRH" came from the hole that all of the developers had to drill into the back of their tablet to access the on-board reset button. As you all probably know, development for this project started back in August and has finally developed into a mostly stable release. Ice Cream Sandwich is a huge jump for the G-Tablet community because along with the building of ICS specifically for SMBA1002 (G-Tablet), the Linux kernel backbone had to be reworked from the ground up.

DISCLAIMER
    Attention commuters of the intertubes! The group of individuals known as Team DRH take absolutely NO RESPONSIBILITY for any DAMAGE that YOU cause to YOUR device! This "labor of love" we call and Android ROM comes AS IS and is not an official release by any means. If you have not already SOILED your device by flashing a custom ROM then to do so will VOID any WARRANTY you may have left. Team DRH and its affiliates are not responsible if your G-Tablet does any of the following: Explodes, Flies off to space to battle the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Is generally awesome, solves world hunger or explodes... again. (OK We take responsibility for you Tablet becoming Awesomesauce.) So in essence... Flash this totally rad ROM at your own RISK and prepare to Spontaneously Combust with AWESOMENESS!

WHAT WORKS
    • WIFI
    • Hardware Acceleration
    • Sleep!
    • WiFi
    • Bluetooth
    • Sensors
    • Sound
    • USB/MTP (If you plug in USB while your tablet is asleep you will have a SOD)
    • Capacitive Buttons
    • Hardware Buttons
    • USB Flash Drives
    • Proper SD Card Mounts
    • HD Videos
    • More to come...

WHAT'S NOT WORKING
    • Camera
    • Microphone (Works but drops after 6-8secs)
    • Possible ROM Slowdowns
    • HDMI Audio
    • More to come...

List of Common ICS Problems
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23146434

HOW TO INSTALL
    • Boot into current version of CWM and "Wipe data/factory reset"
    • Partition Internal SD Card (2048M/0)
    • Turn tablet off
    • Download the following file <--- Seriously don't skip this step unless you are 100% positive that you have a 250M system partition
    • NVFLASH the file following the instructions that are included for Windows/Linux users
    • Upon reboot of tablet let T&T fully boot and then shut it down
    • Reboot into recovery
    • Flash the Rom/Gapps
    • Enjoy

HOW TO INSTALL VIA DRH NEWS APP
    1. Open DRH News App (You Will be notified that you have an update)
    2. Download Update
    3: Reboot into CWM
    4: Wipe Data and Cache
    5: Flash Update.zip
    6: Flash Your Gapps
    7: Reboot
    8: Enjoy

FINAL THOUGHTS
    This build has been tested but not to the extreme. It is called a "beta" test for a reason. Sleep is properly working and I have not had to use my reset button in weeks. I'm not trying to scare anyone but the possibility of a kernel panic is still there. This build is very stable and deserves the beta tag but if you find yourself in a snag you might have to press the internal reset button. Here is a picture of where to find the button if you are really in a bind. PICTURE If you have the balls to open your tablet, just drill the reset hole while you're in there. You already voided your warranty ;)

DOWNLOAD LINK
    ROM/GAPPZ Package: TeamDRH ROM
    ROM (Includes GPS Mod): TeamDRH GPS ROM <-- Only use if you physically installed the internal GPS mod as documented here. This rom is not updated to 1.3 yet.
    Remember this is a beta build. It will run nicely for the most part but I'm sure that there will be glitches a quarks that we have not seen. I will keep the what works/doesn't work section updated so we don't have tons of posts cluttering the thread. Also these links will be updated pretty regularly when we have new builds to release.

CHANGE-LOG

The ROM's system folder was very close to the max size our system partition could handle on the G-Tablet and with any bad blocks, it was more than the G-Tablet could handle and installing GApps made it even worse. So on initial boot everything was fine, because all the apps that make temporary files don't make them until after initial boot, but in the process of making those temp files it corrupts system files that are already loaded and running, so on a reboot the system fails because the files are now corrupted. This also effected the overall speed of the ROM. This should be fixed with the increased system partition from 200M to 250M.

TeamDRH-ICS-Beta-1.3.zip 07/02/12
    • Kernel changes to help stability
    • Wifi Updates (latest bcmdhd android code)
    • Changes to sound (should reduce audio lag)
    • Mic Partially Working (Will record for roughly 6 - 8 seconds)
    • Dock Support with HDMI and Ethernet (No Sound over HDMI yet) This includes a dock clock mode :)
    • "Blinkies" Have been fixed
    • Updates to CM9 code. Now includes lots of the CM9 features
    • Overall stability improvement
    • New Boot Animation
    • Added Sound to Boot Animation (Optional)
    • New Default Wallpaper (created by annel)
    • Installer Updated
    • Gappz Changes
    • Updated Google Plus
    • Updated Google Books
    • Updated Google Chrome Browser
    • YouTube Updated
    • Google Drive Updated
    • Google Play Updated
    • Google Currents Updated
    • Added Google Magazines (From JellyBean)
    • Added Google Ears (From JellyBean)
    • Probably more changes too this is just all I could remember ;)

HOW TO INSTALL MTP DRIVERS
    Open Device Manager and find the offending TeamDRH MTP device.
    Right-Click and choose Update Driver Software
    Then choose Browse My Computer for Driver Software
    Then click Let Me Pick From a List of Device Drivers on My Computer
    Then choose All Devices
    When that list populates choose Standard MTP Device followed by MTP USB Device
    Click Yes to the warning and VIOLA!

Hope you all enjoy the TeamDRH gTablet ICS preview!!

POSSIBLE MARKET ERROR
    Upon start up Android Market may give you an error when you try to download an app. The fix for this is to go into settings/applications and force close market. Upon doing that clear app data and you should be good to go.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS (Only do this If I tell you too)
    Try doing what is posted here

If you like this project and appreciate the extreme amount of time that the devs put into this please donate:

Donate to TeamDRH: LINK

If you would like to donate to single people:
    Ch3vr0n5: LINK
    Treznorx: LINK
    Fosser2: LINK
    The3dman: LINK
    Plastikman: LINK
    Mayday_jay: LINK
    Dwagner:
    Tlb1961: LINK
    Busa_blade:
    Jaybob413:
    Clemsyn: LINK

(This is not a complete list yet changes are still being made)

Information on G-Tablet Camera!!!
    http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/290...update-040112/page__view__findpost__p__346429

Video (courtesy of pagantek):

Pictures:
    TeamDRH Change-log:

TeamDRH-AOSP-Preview-1e-LDPI.zip 02/08/12
    • USB/MTP
    • Vold.fstab
    • USB Flash Drives work if plugged in when tablet is off, then booted
    • SystemUI notification toggle bug
    • TeamDRH Welcome in Trebuchet
    • 3g Icon
    • Few other little adjustments...
    YAGP_GummyBear_Jay_GAppZ_v2.zip 02/08/12
    • Few extra added apps
    • Google Maps
    • Google Chrome Beta

TeamDRH-AOSP-Preview-1F-LDPI.zip 02/16/12
    • USB/MTP Now works even if plugged in on boot. If your tablet is asleep and you plug in USB your tablet will get SOD!!!
    • USB Flash Drives work should work if plugged whenever
    • New Touchscreen driver (should be more responsive)
    • New Battery Driver (should perform better. Has a charging icon issue.)
    • Capacitive keys should now fully work
    • Bluetooth now works
    • Few other little adjustments...
    3DGtaB_GAppZ_v6b.zip 02/16/12
    • Few apps added/deleted
    • Tweaked Permissions
    • Should perform faster

TeamDRH-ICS-Preview-2A.zip 02/29/12
    • Added ROM control in settings.
    • Adjusted Dalvik Cache sizes for better performance (thanks community)
    • Much faster Read/write speeds (probably better than Froyo)
    • Many i2c/clock changes to the kernel to improve stability
    • Amount of system ram increased from 295M to 359M!
    • Other various tweaks and speedups built into the ROM
    • Games should play better in this release
    3DGtaB_GAppZ_v6c.zip 02/29/12
    • Few apps added/deleted
    • Tweaked Permissions
    • Should perform faster

TeamDRH-ICS-Preview-2B.zip 03/01/12
    • Moved some apps to the /data folder to reduce the size of the /system folder
    • New Boot Img - Fixes cache size
    • Added FakeIMEI to the framework so some apps that request one don't crash (ex. XDA App)
    3DGtaB_GAppZ_v7A.zip 03/01/12
    • Moved some apps to the /data folder to reduce the size of the /system folder
    3DGtaB_GAppZ_v7A_LiteEdition.zip 03/01/12
    • Added a new version of GAPPS
    • Very minimal app install (includes: Calender, Music, Youtube, Gmail, Gallery, Market)

3DGtaB_GAppZ_v7B.zip 03/17/12
    • Added new market/music Google play apps
    3DGtaB_GAppZ_v7B_LiteEdition.zip 03/17/12
    • Updated Google applications

TeamDRH-ICS-Beta-1.0.zip 03/17/12
    • Changed ROM naming convention for future use
    • Overclocking (max 1.2GHz for now)
    • ROM is reworked and running on CM9 as a base
    • Noticeable speed improvements
    • 250M system partition is a MUST now
    • Stability is improved
    • In-ROM battery stats should now be fixed for almost everyone
    3DGtaB_GAppZ_v7B.zip 03/17/12
    • Added new market/music Google play apps
    3DGtaB_GAppZ_v7B_LiteEdition.zip 03/17/12
    • Updated Google applications
    3DGtaB-GAppZ-LiteEdition-8.0.zip 03/18/12
    • New DRH-News App
    • Added Play Store (Google Market)
    3DGtaB_GAppZ_8.1.zip 04/01/12
    • Added Play Store (Google Market)
    • All Google applications are now updated and latest

TeamDRH-ICS-Beta-1.1.zip 04/01/12
    • Performance enhancements (based on some SuperCharger settings)
    • Kernel updated with new governors
    • Kernel updated with new i/o schedulers
    • Android updated to 4.0.4
    • Rom control has additional performance settings
    3DGtaB-GAppZ-8.2.zip 04/07/12
    • Updated Gmail to 4.0.4
    • Update to Google Books
    • Fixed calender sync issues some people were having
    • Added the new installer that TeamDRH will now be using! (it's awesome!!!)
    • GAppZ full and lite will now be an all inclusive package. Just flash and follow the instructions.

TeamDRH-ICS-Beta-1.2.zip 04/21/12
    • ROM has been updated to include various performance tweaks
    • Kernel has added touchscreen fix (hopefully fixes most games)
    • Most i/o schedulers removed for now due to incorrect throttling
    • Rom control has additional performance settings and is reorganized
    • WIFI modules updated
    • Incorporated TeamDRH Aroma installer (now includes ROM and GAppz)
    • ROM does have issue where at times, will not go to sleep (screen will turn off then flash back on) aka "blinkies"
    regarding what you say below...
    That's unrelated to whatever slowdowns you're experiencing. But, to clean up /cache, just boot into CWM and "format /cache".

it seems very slow now running 1.3, prior to this I was running CM7 and the tablet was much faster.
    Yeah. The performance is pretty bad and I'm not sure exactly where the problem lies. Most people point to the paucity of memory being the culprit, and while it may contribute quite a bit, I don't think that's all there is to it: For one thing, there are phones with just 512 MB of RAM comfortably running ICS on them. For another, I see a lot of ANRs and processes being sent SIGQUITs (SIG 3 in the logs) to generate those ANRs. For yet another, the CPU load looks very high when there's lag.

I also see that the ro.build.type is set to "userdebug" in /system/build.prop instead of the commonly seen build.type of "user". Changing the build.type to "user" stops most of the ANRs. I don't know how Android is built, but, in the Linux world, we usually have 2 kinds of builds for a product: release (what gets shipped) and internal (AKA engineering). The difference is mainly in what compiler flags are used when building the product. For engineering builds, compiler optimizations are turned off and the debugging flags are turned on. These builds are pretty slow and use a lot more memory and CPU than the release builds. Going by what I said about the build.type and ANRs above, this is one thing for the devs to check.

Try these things to reduce lag:

In Settings > ROM Control (set on boot if you're happy with)
    1. Reduce dalvik VM heap size for apps to 64M.
    2. Reduce the free memory setting to 50MB.

In Settings > Developer options (need to set on each boot)
    3. Reduce the no. of Background Processes to 1 or 2.
    4. Check the Destroy Activities ... option.

Those last 2 really make a noticeable difference, but, you can, if you wish, skip 1) and 4) and still not impact performance all that much.

the other issue I have on my Gtab... not sure if this is related to the ROM or not.. is that my battery indicator ALWAYS shows 100%. I tried wiping battery stats multiple times in Clockwork but not luck. I also let the tablet's battery drain down to power off. Then plugged it in, booted into clockwork and did another battery stats wipe. Still not luck.
    It's the battery. Don't know what triggers it, though, or how to fix it. I'm trying to look into it.

One final thing before I hit the sack:
    Most things that people do to detect bad blocks on the NAND (only looking at the dmesg output, for instance) is not very effective. Here's a simple way to be absolutely certain that the ROM has been installed correctly and fully onto the gTab. The idea is an old one, going back to Dan Farmer and his COPS package (early 1990s). Basically, it is to:

1. have the ROM packager calculate on his dev box the SHA1 checksum of every file that will be installed.
    2. Install this SHA1 checksum file along with the ROM--as, let's say, /system/etc/ROM-files.sha1. (Remove entries for files not installed during installation--not very hard)
    3. User can check using a shell script (or the command below) that the ROM is OK any time he/she wants. If the checksums compute OK, then you too, like me, can sleep blissfully, untroubled by thoughts of any bad blocks doing naughty things to your nice ROM.

Sample creation of ROM-files.sha1 on packager's dev box. Assuming that all files that go into the ROM are in the system/ and data/ directories in their correct locations:
    Code:
    $ [B]sha1sum `find system data -type f` | tee ROM-files.sha1[/B]
    To check ROM state (on gTab):
    Code:
    gTablet$ [B]su[/B]
    gTablet# [B]cd /[/B]
    gTablet# [B]sha1sum -c system/etc/ROM-files.sha1 2>&1 | fgrep -v OK[/B]
    gTablet#                            [I]No news is good news[/I]
    I think the main reason to format 4g first then 2g is to make sure the sd card part is cleared out byond the 2g region.
    Nope. No such "clearing out" happens with that kind of double/triple/... partitioning. It's simply a waste of time and a distraction from real troubleshooting. An explanation of what happens when you repartition an SD card might help:

A repartition step on an SD card using CWM on the gTablet involves 2 operations.

1. The actual partitioning.
    Here, only the MBR--the first sector--on the SD card is written because all SD cards (and also things like USB sticks) are NAND- or NOR-based flash (MTD) devices, but they all look like regular HDDs which means that they all have interface-matching, sector-translation and wear-levelling circuitry (and, on the expensive ones, firmware) built into them. This is also why you can put the standard HDD filesystems like extn, FAT32, etc on them. Raw (untranslated) MTD devices need specialized filesystems like yaffs2 and jffs2 which are coded specifically for them (and, incidentally, you can't put these filesystems on SD card partitions).

2. The filesystem creation.
    During a filesystem creation operation, only a few scattered bits of data are actually written to the device. If we run through the creation of an ext3 filesystem on an SD card (relevant bits in bold):
    Code:
    ~ # [B]fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk2[/B]

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk2: 15.9 GB, 15931539456 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1936 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
    /dev/block/mmcblk2p1               1        1581    12699351   c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/block/mmcblk2p2            1582        1825     1959930  83 Linux
    /dev/block/mmcblk2p3            1826        1862      297202+ 83 Linux
    /dev/block/mmcblk2p4            1863        1936      [B]594405[/B]  83 Linux
    ~ # [B]/root/mke2fs -j -m0 /dev/block/mmcblk2p4[/B]
    mke2fs 1.42.4 (12-June-2012)
    Filesystem label=
    OS type: Linux
    Block size=[B]4096[/B] (log=2)
    Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
    Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
    37200 inodes, [B]148601[/B] blocks
    0 blocks (0.00%) reserved for the super user
    First data block=0
    Maximum filesystem blocks=155189248
    5 block groups
    32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
    7440 inodes per group
    Superblock backups stored on blocks: 
            32768, 98304

Allocating group tables: done                            
    Writing inode tables: done                            
    Creating journal (4096 blocks): done
    Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

~ # [B]mount /dev/block/mmcblk2p4 /root/[/B]
    ~ # [B]df[/B]
    Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    tmpfs                   224188        32    224156   0% /dev
    /dev/block/mtdblock4    222208      1296    220912   1% /cache
    /dev/block/mmcblk2p4    [B]585040[/B]     16860    568180   3% /root
    ~ #
    you'll see that the size of the partition is 594405 1K blocks, but, only 9365 1K blocks (594405 - 585040), ~ 9.4 MB, scattered all over the place, are written to initialize the filesystem--which involves, mainly, writing a new bootblock, new superblocks and group descriptor blocks, and bitmap and inode-related blocks; plus odds and ends like the bits needed to create the /lost+found directory and the journal (16MB in our example run above, and even here the journal is not "written" fully--only the space needed for it is marked as "allocated").

The creation of a VFAT filesystem is roughly similar. So, in both cases, not a lot of actual data is written, and in each case the writes are generally scattered all over the device.

Thus far, this discussion has been at the level of logical filesystem blocks. When it comes to which physical blocks on the SD card are actually written during filesystem creation, things look even worse for people who think some sort of clearing out happens because of the intervening wear-leveling circuitry: Only the HW knows which MTD blocks correspond to which logical filesystem blocks, and the physical MTD blocks standing in for the logical filesystem blocks keep getting rotated as needed by the SD card itself.

What I think people imagine happens during a repartition is something like this:
    Code:
    ~ # [B]time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk3[/B]
    That command writes zeros to every sector of the internal SD card. Run the command while in CWM (repartition afterwards, please) and see how long it takes to complete. If a repartition step really cleaned out the internal SD card as people imagine, then you would have to wait 45 mins or so for that operation to complete instead of the minute or so that you have to now.

This is to ensure no data is left over from the previous ROM.
    See the description above. I can guarantee you that unless there are ghastly bugs in CWM, the parted/e2fsprogs code or in the HW, a single repartition operation will get rid of all (user-visible) data on the SD cards.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Sadly I tried everything I could think of, still no luck. Hopefully now that someone has sent their "stuck at the birds" device in for analysis there will be a fix. I have the CWM install log if that would be helpful. [Update: log attached]
    Looking at the logs, I see that the ROM installation script is still cheerfully corrupting the /cache filesystem for no good reason. It also seems to be trying to remove the dalvik-cache from non-existent devices. Somebody should really scrutinize that install script.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

I was just wondering if you were sure you had the 250mb partition would it be necessary to nvflash.
    Nope.

If you could just do a wipe/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe davilk cache and the flash the 1.3 rom.
    Only a "wipe data/factory reset" is needed. You'll see that it does the other 2 (wiping cache and dalvik-cache) if you look at the messages the operation prints.
    CWM 5504 B15+Touch and ICS

Process I followed to actually get the latest ClockWorkMod w/touch working AND be able to install ICS (I had a TON of issues with boot-into-recovery-only, not booting at all and only showing the birds, booting into stock rom but not being able to get into recovery anymore... this is how I got it working.)

Following this exact process I get success everytime now.

1) Turn your tablet OFF and REMOVE THE microSD CARD!! I repeat, remove the microSD card!!

2) Download THIS "nvflash_gtablet_2010110500.zip" from HERE (delete the other zip if you downloaded elsewhere):
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66090731/nvflash_gtablet_2010110500.zip

3) Download THIS "nvflash1.2_5504b15.zip" from HERE:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66090731/nvflash1.2_5504b15.zip

4) Unzip "nvflash_gtablet_2010110500.zip" to "nvflash_gtablet_2010110500"
    5) Unzip "nvflash1.2_5504b15.zip" to "nvflash1.2_5504b15"

6) Press and hold Volume - (VOL. DOWN) and the power button at the same time, release the power button once the screen turns on, keep holding VOL - until screen turns off; you're now in whats called APX mode.
    7) Plug your USB cord into your computer, and into your G-Tablet

If you have NEVER installed the USB drivers before, do step 8, otherwise skip to step 9:
    8) Go to Start/Control Panel/Device Manager and hit the Update Driver button for APX. In the popup, choose to specify manually and browse to the "nvflash_gtablet_2010110500" directory and choose the "USB" directory. Let the drivers install and proceed to step 9.

9) Go inside the "nvflash_gtablet_2010110500" directory
    10) Double click nvflash_gtablet.bat , a CMD prompt window will open and start doing stuff - let it run until it says press any key to exit - that means its done.
    11) Let your G-Tablet do a full boot up into the TnT ROM, then shutdown (Power Off)

12) Put your G-Tablet back into APX Mode. (Press and hold VOL. DOWN and the power button at the same time, release the power button once the screen turns on, keep holding VOL - until screen turns off).

13) Go inside the "nvflash1.2_5504b15" directory
    14) Double click nvflash_gtablet.bat , a CMD prompt window will open and start doing stuff - again let it run until it says press any key to exit - that means its done.
    15) Let your G-Tablet do a full boot up into the TnT ROM, then shutdown (Power Off)

16) Put your G-Tablet into Recovery Mode. To do this, press and hold VOLUME + (VOL UP) and the power button at the same time, release the power button once the screen turns on, keep holding VOL + for a few seconds; now you should be in the ClockWorkMod recovery with touch capability. At the top it should say 5.5.0.4 Beta 15.

Now its time to follow the "How to install" steps from the first post. DO ALL OF THESE!
    1)
    a. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    b. Wipe Cache
    c. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    2)
    a. Format boot
    b. Mount then Format data
    c. Mount then format system
    d. Format cache
    3) Re-partition internal sd with 2048/0
    4) Mount USB and copy your ICS ROM and Gapps zip files over
    5) Flash the ICS ROM (this may take a while to complete, do not mess with it until it's DONE)
    6) Flash Gapps (this may take a while to complete, do not mess with it until it's DONE)
    7) SHUT DOWN / POWER OFF
    8) Insert your microSD card back into your G-Tablet
    9) Start up normal and let it boot into the ICS ROM.
    10) Complete first setup and then let sit and sync for half an hour to an hour.

Special Thanks to:
    butchconner http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=989320
    fosser2 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1525424
    roebeet http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/171...-using-either-11-or-12-based-images-g-tablet/
    ViewSonic G-Tablet for Dummies http://viewsonic-gtablet-for-dummies.webs.com/