Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,909 Members 37,733 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problems with Nandroid advanced restore

Tip us?

KingCheetah
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperskye View Post
Did you use this to get Modaco? I noticed it says you must have s-off but in your thread you said you have s-on.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1179125
That's the original thread Paul (Modaco's creator) posted. I downloaded my copy via Blue's invaluable Developers Reference: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...45&postcount=7. Scroll down to the Recovery section, and under Clockworkmod 4.0.0.9 Recovery there's a download link; but it's the same file.

As to being s-off, I think that's how things used to be. Obviously, all you need now is the bootloader to be unlocked so you can fastboot flash the recovery img file. Otherwise, I couldn't have been doing all the monkeying I've been doing recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperskye View Post
My problem is that with the data I want to restore, my phone gets stuck in a boot loop. I am thinking that I might be able to install Modaco, restore the data where I can't start up my phone and then do a Modaco backup while still in recovery. Then restore a functioning backup (so my phone boots up) and finally do an advanced restore where I only restore the data I need from the bootloop backup.
My experience is limited, but from your description, I'm not sure if the Advanced Restore option will be the smoking gun for your problem. The way I understand it, ClockworkMod recovery--of which Modaco is an unofficial flavor--takes the equivalent of a disk image of your phone while the OS is inactive (like many disk imaging programs for the PC). If you've got some ratty data causing the boot looping, that data is going to be stored along with everything else in the snapshot during backup. It will also be restored using regular restore or Advanced. So, I'm not certain how using a different recovery module will accomplish your goal of stopping the boot loop. Also, remember that any backups made with CWM 5.0.2.7 will be incompatible with Modaco recovery since it uses only img files.

This definitely needs to go to someone more experienced in troubleshooting Android, I think. Maybe you could edit the title of this thread to reflect the boot looping problem. This will hopefully get someone like Blue involved to help out. Sorry not to have a definitive answer for this. I suppose you could flash Modaco (same as you flashed CWM 5.0.2.7) and see if it does what you're hoping it will do. Best advice I can give.

Apologies for not having a concrete solution, and best of luck --
--
KingCheetah

IBtokin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question Same problem, with ANY restore

I'm running cwm 5.0.2.7 and can't restore any previous backups. When I run restore it restores a few things, but then it just stops and cwm recovery seems to abruptly reset. After that I get stuck on the splash screen after rebooting.I verified the md5s in the backup folder, also. All match.

I DID change the backup filename so I could find it easily in my backup folder, but it was doing the same thing even before I changed it.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Also, is there a way to restore the images through adb/fastboot, even though they were created by cwm recovery?

KingCheetah
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Info 2 A small suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBtokin View Post
I'm running cwm 5.0.2.7 and can't restore any previous backups. When I run restore it restores a few things, but then it just stops and cwm recovery seems to abruptly reset. After that I get stuck on the splash screen after rebooting.I verified the md5s in the backup folder, also. All match.

I DID change the backup filename so I could find it easily in my backup folder, but it was doing the same thing even before I changed it.
Check your backup filenames and make sure they don't have any spaces. If that isn't an issue, you might try reflashing CWM and see if that resolves its difficulties. CWM shouldn't be behaving as you describe if it has been installed properly. Only other thing I can think of is looking into any item installed on your phone that could possible not play nice with CWM. I don't know of any myself, but it's a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBtokin View Post
Also, is there a way to restore the images through adb/fastboot, even though they were created by cwm recovery?
Not that I know of; hopefully someone with more CWM knowledge will chime in on this thread.

Purrs --
--
KingCheetah
The Following User Says Thank You to KingCheetah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blackknightavalon
Old
(Last edited by blackknightavalon; 8th July 2012 at 10:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 392
Hmm...I'll have to check to see if the old fastboot method can still be used.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nope. Nandroid used to save the files in .img format instead of the current one. This means no fastboot restore.

Sent from Spaceball One.
HTC Dream (G1) 12/2008-04/2010
Motorola MB200 (Cliq) 04/2010-11/2010
HTC Vision (G2) 11/2010-01/2014
HTC Doubleshot (MyTouch 4G Slide) 05/2011-06/2012
B&N Acclaim (Nook Tablet) 03/2012-12/2013
Samsung GT-I8190 (GS3 mini) 01/2013-04/2013
Samsung SGH-M919 (T-Mobile GS4) 04/2013-Backup
Samsung SM-V700 (Galaxy Gear) 12/2013-Current
Samsung N9005 (Int'l Galaxy Note 3) 12/2013-Current
Samsung SM-G900T (T-Mobile GS5) 04/2014-Current
The Following User Says Thank You to blackknightavalon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]