Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,656 Members 52,501 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Foxfi or anrdroid wifi tether for GS3?

Tip us?

Sleestax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 121
Default Foxfi or anrdroid wifi tether for GS3?

Now that some of you (bastards) have had a few days to play with your shiny new toys. Has anyone confirmed that either Foxfi or the android wifi tether works on the GS3? I usually use the android wifi tether (once rooted), but I am considering Foxfi for a while until rooting/ROMing becomes more stable for the GS3. Also, the changelog on the code.google.com side for wifi tether only certifies it for the GS2 running ICS.

Anyway, I'm curious to know how people are enabling wifi on their new GS3. So, you know, in case I ever get my 32GB GS3, I can do it too.

jnadke
Old
Thanks Meter 159
I think this was already covered by qbking77.

Use the Wireless Tether for Root Users app, and select Galaxy Nexus CDMA as the option.
The Following User Says Thank You to jnadke For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yornotelppa
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Foxfi does not currently work on the S3, the developer is aware of this. So I just rooted mine and used the tether that qbking suggested, it works great!

eyecon82
Old
Thanks Meter 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by yornotelppa View Post
Foxfi does not currently work on the S3, the developer is aware of this. So I just rooted mine and used the tether that qbking suggested, it works great!
thanks...i hope foxfi works soon

etaylor77
Old
Thanks Meter 0
foxfi is a no go, got an email stating they were aware of the issue. check out qb king77 root method

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA

memeticpox
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yornotelppa View Post
Wish I'd read this before I tried Foxfi on my stock S3 (t-mobile), last night. Didn't work with my nook (the nook couldn't even connect to the hotspot). And now, wifi doesn't work at all on my S3. Just sits there, endlessly scanning. Every now and then, it'll pop up a notification that it's found an open wireless network, but nothing ever shows up in the wireless networks list. I tried the suggestion from Foxfi's market/play listing: "rename the hotspot ssid in Foxfi, and then reboot." No dice. Uninstalled Foxfi. No dice. Rebooted multiple times (including powering off and popping the battery out). Still no dice.

ainen
Old
Thanks Meter 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeticpox View Post
Wish I'd read this before I tried Foxfi on my stock S3 (t-mobile), last night. Didn't work with my nook (the nook couldn't even connect to the hotspot). And now, wifi doesn't work at all on my S3. Just sits there, endlessly scanning. Every now and then, it'll pop up a notification that it's found an open wireless network, but nothing ever shows up in the wireless networks list. I tried the suggestion from Foxfi's market/play listing: "rename the hotspot ssid in Foxfi, and then reboot." No dice. Uninstalled Foxfi. No dice. Rebooted multiple times (including powering off and popping the battery out). Still no dice.

That sounds terrible. I wouldn't think that an app without root access could cause such trouble.

memeticpox
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainen View Post
That sounds terrible. I wouldn't think that an app without root access could cause such trouble.
Me neither. Could be coincidence, but wifi worked before trying Foxfi, and didn't afterwards...

ainen
Old
Thanks Meter 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeticpox View Post
Me neither. Could be coincidence, but wifi worked before trying Foxfi, and didn't afterwards...
Have you checked you Wi-Fi frequency band setting under advanced?

memeticpox
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainen View Post
Have you checked you Wi-Fi frequency band setting under advanced?
Set to Auto.