Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,354 Members 44,059 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T OTA update strips Universal Search feature

Tip us?

zmore
Old
Thanks Meter 878
So, since this "update" didn't include any of the bug fixes or new features that the international got, and only RIPPED out the search device feature to appease Apple, I see ZERO reason to update. I'll be staying on my rooted UCALEM stock for a while (until CM10 draws its first breath)

On another note, before I go looking, does someone know how to permanently ignore the update notifications if you choose to postpone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1342040126805.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1192003  
Primary Phone: Note3 (SM-N900T); ROM: CyanogenMod 11 (KitKat 4.4.*); kernel: Stock @ 2.3GHz; misc: Incipio DualPro; 64GB class10 microSDXC
Primary Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012); ROM: CM11
Working museum piece: SGS1 Captivate (SGH-i897); ROM: CM11; kernel: Stock @ 1.0GHz
(Other devices: Nexus 10 (stock); Retired devices: SGS3 (SGH-i747), Kindle Fire (otter), OG Galaxy Tab 7, ...)

defnow
Old
Thanks Meter 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmore View Post
So, since this "update" didn't include any of the bug fixes or new features that the international got, and only RIPPED out the search device feature to appease Apple, I see ZERO reason to update. I'll be staying on my rooted UCALEM stock for a while (until CM10 draws its first breath)

On another note, before I go looking, does someone know how to permanently ignore the update notifications if you choose to postpone?

I believe you freeze device management through titanium back-up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
LG Nexus 5 16GB
-stock
iPhone 5S 32GB
The Following User Says Thank You to defnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

the1stSecond
Old
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmore View Post

Did you install CWM (a customer recovery) after your stock root? If you did you can just install this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1732039

Then just remove the update service from the phone using Aroma. If ever ready/want to install an available over the air update just revert back to UCLEM stock rom and your update service will be re-installed. That's what I did.

freakboy13
Old
Thanks Meter 400
What he said...
Get TiBu and freeze every single at&t app you have. I also froze anything with Samsung on it to including kies.
Unless an update is critical I never update cuz it's usually after the fact you find out "they took away my root..."
"they removed what? "...etc. etc .
My phone. My way.
" A Galaxy without Android is like a ship with out water...."
ALERT ---> KIES 2.xxx or KIES 3 for the Galaxy note 3:
EFR TOOL and UPDATE TOOL WILL NOT work with AT&T Galaxy Note 3

Got A Samsung and Soft bricked it?
Panicked cuz ya bootlooped yer new phone?
Or maybe you just want THE FASTEST and EASIEST way back to stock rom with out using Odin?
Then click my tutorial: :thumbup:
CLICK-----> EFR<-----CLICK

zmore
Old
(Last edited by zmore; 11th July 2012 at 10:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by defnow View Post
I believe you freeze device management through titanium back-up
Yeah, thanks. I've already frozen just about every bloatapp except SVoice and KiesAir, but I'll go freeze this now and thaw it out to check again later if needbe.

Primary Phone: Note3 (SM-N900T); ROM: CyanogenMod 11 (KitKat 4.4.*); kernel: Stock @ 2.3GHz; misc: Incipio DualPro; 64GB class10 microSDXC
Primary Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012); ROM: CM11
Working museum piece: SGS1 Captivate (SGH-i897); ROM: CM11; kernel: Stock @ 1.0GHz
(Other devices: Nexus 10 (stock); Retired devices: SGS3 (SGH-i747), Kindle Fire (otter), OG Galaxy Tab 7, ...)

alanbot
Old
Thanks Meter 1
GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk does work and fixes the searching, but once you reboot it goes away and needs to be installed again. Is there a fix for this?

bonefan03
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbot View Post
GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk does work and fixes the searching, but once you reboot it goes away and needs to be installed again. Is there a fix for this?
I'm not sure, but depending on how you installed it it may be able to remain after reboot. For example, if you installed it like any other application (i.e. From your phone) the application was installed in your data folder. But, if you tried installing the apk using adb to your system folder it might hold thru reboot. I could be wrong but give it a try it might work

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

Snook321
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Hey.... How did you get the weather in your notification bar?

Sent from my Pebble Blue Samsung Galaxy S III on T-Mobile using XDA Premium HD
Current Phone:
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium Greg) T-Mobile

Current Tablet:
Asus Transformer Prime 32gb w/ Dock (Amethyst Grey)

Past Smartphones:
Motorola w450, T-Mobile G1 (Black), T-Mobile G1 (White), Google Nexus One, HTC Sensation 4G, Samsung Galaxy S III (Pebble Blue)

mobilehavoc
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snook321 View Post
Hey.... How did you get the weather in your notification bar?

Sent from my Pebble Blue Samsung Galaxy S III on T-Mobile using XDA Premium HD
Is there a way to flash the kernel and baseband from this OTA only? Assuming they might provide improvements.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HTC One - 2.17 Stock (4.2.2) || Nexus 4 - CyanogenMod 10.1 Stable ||

humblehyper
Old
Thanks Meter 55
That sucks they removed the universal search function on this update. I ain't updating mine! I paid for it and they can't take that away!