Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,559 Members 40,750 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How-to- Root, Hack, and Flashing your G1/Dream Read first!!

Tip us?

staulkor
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgangrupprecht View Post
Dropbear on my openwrt router lets me ssh in using an RSA key. I wonder if using RSA credentials to log here in would be good enough as far as the dropbear empty password test is concerned.
I will definitely look into it tomorrow/friday.
--too many phones to list--

afbcamaro
Old
Thanks Meter 1
http://www.helloandroid.com/node/698
Wizard 8125, O2 Exec (Universal) 64MB and 128MB
O2 XDAiis (Blue Angel) ,MPX200
MPX220, MPX300
StarTrek, Hw6300
Hw6500, HTC Juno
HTC Tornado, HTC Apache
HTC Hermes, O2 Flame
HTC Alpine, Moto Ming A1200
Treo 750, Razor
HTC Dream, HTC Juno
HTC Excalibur,

funbacon
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Can I access to system/fonts and remove old font file by using this way ?

I want to replace old font file with new one. I creat a new font fiel with more character for more language

And I have more question : Can I access read write to G1 device without wifi connection ? I don't have wifi router. I'm saving money to get one.

sonikamd
Old
(Last edited by sonikamd; 7th November 2008 at 04:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Default ouch

You guys are amazing! Google's all over patches on this one tho
But, I'm sure its merely a speed bump to those in the know

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40063/140

JesusFreke
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikamd View Post
You guys are amazing! Google's all over patches on this one tho :/

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40063/140
Yep. You better get root while you can, and then protect your phone from OTA updates . It almost makes me want to go buy a couple and jailbreak them, then wait for the patch and sell them for a premium. lol.

quedijo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreke View Post
Yep. You better get root while you can, and then protect your phone from OTA updates . It almost makes me want to go buy a couple and jailbreak them, then wait for the patch and sell them for a premium. lol.
How dare you... ummm... ummm... STEAL MY IDEA!

cookzitall
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default i followed all the stepps to get root

when i connect thru the telnet app all i see is a bunch of ? and a few boxes...is that root? how do i see the folders? im confused .. can sum1 please help

Disconn3ct
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
FYI you don't need to do all that to get the ip address. Just click on the wifi network you are connected to and it will show signal and ip.

ISTR its settings -> network -> wireless.

xtool
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Google has already commented on this issue with update RC30. Weve been notified of this issue (Jailbreaking of Android) and have developed a fix. Were currently working with our partners to push the fix out and updating the open source code base to reflect these changes.

cmonex
Old
(Last edited by cmonex; 7th November 2008 at 03:10 PM.)
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoobs View Post
I think you need to experience the things yourself. Yes we are locked down... but at the same time it has nothing to do with Google. I think Google got jipped in the long run. Look at all the ads on TV... "The T-Mobile G1... with google." And at the same time we can still jailbreak it later. Remember we are still learning. People never know how to load custom rom's on new software. Think of it like when a new version of Windows or Mac comes out. It takes time to figure out how to get passed some stupid companies locks so you can customize your software.

Figuring that it has only taken us 2 weeks exactly to jailbreak the device and basically run C compiled software on the device I think we are way ahead of the game. How long did it take to even jailbreak the iPhone? or how long did it take to just learn how to update WM 5 or 6 to 6.1?

You put iPhone and WM on a pedestal, but you don't look at the fact that the android is still a growing baby, and iPhone and WM are both in their older years. Think of it like that, android is still a baby, the iPhone is like the 8-12 year old and WM is like the 16-21 year old. Of course you can do more with the 16-21 year old, and of course things are easier to do with the 8-12 year old and you expected them to talk back to you. But the baby isn't quite developed yet... but at the same time the baby could talk before any of the other kids. Before you know it android is gonna be walking and playing and going to college while the other 2 are going to be in high school still.

Either way I am glad I got my phone. And it won't be much longer before you see the android OS on other phones and the G1 topping all other phones with its numerous updates and overall biggest developer base. With all new things comes an opposition, the difference between success and failure is whether you can convince the opposition.

/rebuttal rant LOL

hmm, well, my opinion...

if you know linux then android's got a really big advantage... you know how most of the system works - and there are quite some people out there who are familiar with linux, or if not, you got a lot of documentation online to learn it.

problem: google already fixed this bug (I agree it had to be fixed, it was horrible how everything you typed got processed, our problem is just a consequence of the fix), now how to jailbreak new g1's? not fun unless we get lucky. this is actually a lot worse than apple's iphone, because apple never bothered to hide the root password

BTW i was there when iphone got jailbroken, and it took less time than android, even though overall the hack was less trivial as iphone was a lot more locked down. (cracking the activation required some nice x86 disassembly, and the jailbreak for accessing the filesystem was a very nice trick)

again, reminding you of the real problem. Chainfire is right here. if it wasn't for this, I'd say it could go to college quite fast

Tags
cupcake, jf1.5, root, tutorial, upgrade