Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 47,484 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[24 Jun][WIP][MAGLDR] Debian for HTC HD2 - v0.1 alpha

Tip us?

ljp1132719438
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionbasa View Post
I can confirm that if there is an ext 2/3/4 partition on the SD card this build will not boot.
Not really , i have 2G ext2 partition , i can still boot it via Magldr.

ionbasa
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp1132719438 View Post
Not really , i have 2G ext2 partition , i can still boot it via Magldr.
hmmm, that is strange. I also happen to have an swap partition of 256 Mb. The NAND Android Rom I use is in my signature, It uses an Data to ext method.
When trying to boot to Debian it stops loading right after it checks the SD card for errors:
It says loop2 has an invalid argument while checking the ext3 journal for /dev/block/loop2

then it says:
EXT4-fs (loop2): bad geometry: block count 244140 exceeds size of device (4023 blocks)

So for now my only logical conclusion is that by default any Linux OS will try to mount any EXT 2/3/4 partition because it is native Linux formatting of drive partitions, in this case its mounting my EXT4 partition on my SD card instead of the rootfs file system.

The best solution would probably be to disable auto mounting of partitions, but that would probably require this build to be recompiled, but dont take my word for it as I have never built Linux for ARM...

aSiD1712
Old
Thanks Meter 134
It feels realy smooth. I am not familiar with debian but will try, I connected wifi, managed to bring up terminal and switched to root via - su root. Tried installing "aptitude install iceweasel" but after confirming there are only 404 errors. How to install some software and first how to test sound easy? Can I install java runtime? Is there any similar to "Software-Center" or a software list?

cccy
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Have not tested yet, but I would like to ask the following: Does charging work? I do not need usb host, just charging and wifi.
If my posts helped you, I don't ask for you to donate money or devices. Just click on the thanks button!

BlueStacks Dev Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=18317404

HTC One X Jelly Bean USB DAC Host Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=33877663

bardzusny
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie P View Post
USB host works, keyboard and mouse. Connected to wifi ok. But when I tried to take a screenshot, it just hung and had to press soft reset button. Will test more.
Excellent work bardzusny, BTW there are Ladies on this forum too
@ivicabrus, be sure to unzip the .tar.gz, the .tar and also the rootfs.zip
Edit; mirror- http://d-h.st/Tx9
Thanks for testing USB host! And also for mirroring. Will add new link in a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSiD1712 View Post
It feels realy smooth. I am not familiar with debian but will try, I connected wifi, managed to bring up terminal and switched to root via - su root. Tried installing "aptitude install iceweasel" but after confirming there are only 404 errors. How to install some software and first how to test sound easy? Can I install java runtime? Is there any similar to "Software-Center" or a software list?
First run "aptitude update".

I'm not using any of this stuff, but "synaptic" package might suit your interests. (It's graphical package manager.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccy View Post
Have not tested yet, but I would like to ask the following: Does charging work? I do not need usb host, just charging and wifi.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsam88 View Post
Tried this and what i must say:

Wow. This made me sit in front of my HD2 with disbelief. This is really, really awesome. It's so smooth and good looking I almost wish that it would be THE hd2 operating system.

Also to report, booting is very fast, USB host is working. Mounted generic USB mouse and keyboard, also USB mass storage is working too. Going to test more. WiFi WPA2 is working nicely.

What to say, this is one of the best builds ever and have most potential of them all. It's already wonderful, and to think more awaits!

THANK YOU!
Thanks for kind words.

I'm afraid lack of suspend/resume and any phone functionality are stopping this from becoming much more than proof-of-concept, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomba View Post
and after all, please make a NAND-FLASH Version!
So that will be the only One OS on my Handy
On T-MO it could make some sense, but not on EU version (512MB ROM). Install some basic software and you're full.

Even if it wasn't such a bad idea, it's rather low priority right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionbasa View Post
I can confirm that if there is an ext 2/3/4 partition on the SD card this build will not boot.
As long as your first(!) partition is VFAT, it should work. That's how this initrd works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioterek2666 View Post
I did some test on this build and performance is much better than ubu. Ui is very smooth and keybord is good as for smartphone. Tried to test sound but clicking mplayer does not give result. Wifi works but sometimes needs system restart to connect. Dont try screenshot option (just like above). Good work!

Sent from my HTC Sensation (HD2) using XDA
Mplayer isn't even installed (I don't know why it appears in the menu). I agree that UI is very nice.

That's some quick answers. Generally as I said, phone functionality is stalled and I don't have too much time to keep up any serious work on this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bardzusny For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ionbasa
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardzusny View Post

As long as your first(!) partition is VFAT, it should work. That's how this initrd works.
Well that was the problem! I had my EXT4 partition first! I will have to re-arrange the partitions on my sd card and let you know how everything works.

laehtis
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Okay so I have had problems to get this working (booting errors on mgdlr). I founded that my SD card partitions is causing that. In formatted the SD card, and it started booting and working!

Thanks a lot for awesome build!
current active devices:
Note 3 SM-9005
S3 GT-I9300

AOSP FTW: Running Unofficial CM by Temasek

minDark
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie P View Post
FYI I just booted this using wm6.5, using clrcad, haret and startup.txt (edited- rel-path=debian) from an android sd build. USB host working.
I guess it is easier to run magldr linux from wm6.5 than the other way round
I have error: switch_root: bad newroot /rfs and then it restart. Can you tell me what i can do??

pioterek2666
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I had the same problem running it from winmob.You have to extract rootfs.ext4 from rootfs.ext4.7z file.The file size is 953.67 Mbytes after extraction. Use 7zip.
And btw. synaptic is not working.
The Following User Says Thank You to pioterek2666 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

minDark
Old
(Last edited by minDark; 18th July 2012 at 07:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioterek2666 View Post
I had the same problem running it from winmob.You have to extract rootfs.ext4 from rootfs.ext4.7z file.The file size is 953.67 Mbytes after extraction. Use 7zip.
And btw. synaptic is not working.
Thanks, it worked. Regardig Synaptic,m you have to launch it from terminal, from applications menu it doesn't work.