No registration required

[Q] Bluetooth Tethering

OP rjpearce

7th July 2012, 09:17 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 5

61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashi20002003

Sorry to say a lot of phones are not working with this bluetooth tethering built into HOneycomb and ICS. You will need to use Android Pdanet for tablet in combination with it's associate phone app. Unfortunately that's only available on Android. Not Symbian or Windows. Even the Nokia phones which worked fine with the Archos Bluetooth Tethering App on Gen8, are not working with the ICS Builtin version. For a while I had thought Archos did not include this option until one day I noticed I can pair my tablet with a Motorolla Zoom. Then I a couple of phones I knew worked with BT Tethering in Gen8 and they did not work with my G9 tablet. But I tried Nokia C2 and it worked. I looke into finding what profile was needed on the phone side beside DUN or PAN...but I did not find what mande the difference between the Nokia C2 and Nokia E71. E71 worked fine with Archos BT Tethering on Gen 8. So did Nokia 5230 Nuron. But both would not work with G9. The only I've come up with is the BT version of the phone. Both C2 and Zoom have BT 3.0 Tried my Samsung Exhibit II but it would not work. Samsung Galaxy Blaze 4G and HTC Amaze 4G and they work.
I think old phones with BT version less than 2.1 won't work. Not sure why.
you can follow some of the discussions I've had with another Archos member here
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=64440
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopi...lit=+Tethering

Thanks for the insights. When did June Fabrics drop PDAnet for WinMo? I think I still have an old copy stashed somewhere from a few years ago when I used that with my combo then of HTC X6700 ("Apache") and WinXP tethering.

It is really aggravating that this whole area is such a random crapshoot. I guess I am lucky that my 4-yr old Xv6900 "just works" with BT tethering - worked with Archos 5 (G7?) and 43 (G8). And it works great via USB with RNDIS for Linux and WinXP (but not Win7 I recently found - figures) - no PDAnet or other "tricks" needed since it "just works" as just another wired network interface (think Win7 wanted some extra driver for that - go figure).

In contrast the newer Imagio with WinMo 6.5 will not (PAN is not an option with ICS). I recall doing some digging into drivers/registry/settings, and think I found that it seemed to be missing a certain dll or exe file that the XV6900 has, and which will not work on the WM 6.5 Imagio - probably a Verizon requirement of HTC to prevent tethering

I can use WM WifiRouter on the Imagio with a PC, but its adhoc protocol still is not handled by stock Android 4.0x (thought some vendors enabled that out-of-the-box, but not Archos it seems) - need root to mess around with add-ons/mods to enable that type of wifi connection. The XV6900 does not have wifi, so I guess I am really lucky its old combo of ROM/WinMo 6.1/BT can tether so easily.

We have to be crazy to do this kind of stuff, or we soon get that way from struggling with it

YMMV
Last edited by rokkywoof; 7th July 2012 at 09:21 PM.
9th July 2012, 10:49 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 0

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkywoof

Ah - so the phone is proven to work with ICS - good data point.
That, along with the facts that ICS is throwing the missing NAP message, and the G9 not showing an Internet connection option for the pairing with the phone, suggest the possibility that the pairing went the "wrong way" - i.e., the phone is looking to the G9 for services instead of the other way around.

Try this:
1. Unpair the devices.
2. Start ICS on the phone. See if it will "connect" - if not, ok.
3. Make the phone BT visible.
4. Initiate pairing from the G9.
5. Now see if the G9 has an internet connection option for the phone BT.
If not, I am totally stumped.
If so, try it (start ICS connection if it would not start in step 2)!

Good luck!

HTH

I dont get it going, its a pity...
Unpaired the devices, set the phone visible, detect the phone from the g9, paired the devices, confirmed the security code on both devices and ... bang:settings on g9 is only showing "rename phone" and "unpair".
I think there is no chance in getting the bt teth to run with that combination.
Thanks for your help but I give up.
Just waiting for wifi adhoc on the g9 or Android on my phone...

Marti
10th July 2012, 01:33 PM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 5

61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmartischmi

I dont get it going, its a pity...
Unpaired the devices, set the phone visible, detect the phone from the g9, paired the devices, confirmed the security code on both devices and ... bang:settings on g9 is only showing "rename phone" and "unpair".
I think there is no chance in getting the bt teth to run with that combination.
Thanks for your help but I give up.
Just waiting for wifi adhoc on the g9 or Android on my phone...

Marti

Damn! That's frustrating! Sorry I could not be more help, but that's all I have in my "bag of tricks".
15th July 2012, 05:40 AM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 3

19 posts
Marange's ROM is OK
Marange's ICS ROM for HTC desire G7 is working almost perfectly.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bluetooth, ics, tethering
Previous Thread Next Thread