how to connect my phone to laptop via wifi to surf internet?

Search This thread

neesad

Sep 15, 2008
hi greetings to all. I am new in this foum. I have bought a new smartphone and it brought me to this forum for support.
I have htc s710 with wm 6. Is is possible to access internet on the phone by connecting it to the laptop through wi-fi in adhoc mode? I tried connecting it, and connection was established, I was as well able to ping the phone from my laptop but i was unable to use internet. I want to use laptop as a wireless router.

in the laptop i have ethernet connection which brings internet to my home, and i have enabled ics in that. the wi-fi card has been assignd ip address 192.168.0.1, and mobile has ip assigned 192.168.0.2.

is it possible in this way?

neesad

Sep 15, 2008
i dont hava BT in my laptop. I just have a external orinoco gold wi-fi card.
is it possible through that.

fwmone

Jul 3, 2007
Stuttgart
www.youngbiker.de
I've never tested it cause I use a WAP router. ICS worked crappy when I tried it.

Did you try using DHCP instead of setting a fixed IP on your S710? ICS offers DHCP services and IIRC depends on it. Also remember that you normally can't set a DNS server on WinMo. Does ICS offer its services on all network cards or don't you have to activate the card you want ICS to serve on in its settings?

neesad

Sep 15, 2008
Thanks for the response. I have not tried DHCP, let me see today if it works that way.

piper_indebt

Feb 1, 2008
Singapore City
Hi, I searched this concern before cause I wanted to use wifi too in the office. I'm not sure where the thread that I read had been sucessfull but it did gave me the idea to set mine and get it working.

Basically I have LAN connection in the office, connected to my Dell Latitdue d600 and created ad hoc connection to my HTC Touch.

I opened network connections, and right click my lan connection, advance tab, and enable internet sharing using wireless connection, thats the only thing i did, after establishing the adhoc connection, IP address in Pc is the same, 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 hope you get it working. I dont have a smartphone to test it myself

neesad

Sep 15, 2008
Hi piper. my problem is fixed now. i connected the phone to the laptop at adhoc mode, applied static ip. then ran network setup wizard. after the setup was complete i changed the ip setings of the phone. i set the phone to acquire ip form dhcp server.

piper_indebt

Feb 1, 2008
Singapore City
Hi piper. my problem is fixed now. i connected the phone to the laptop at adhoc mode, applied static ip. then ran network setup wizard. after the setup was complete i changed the ip setings of the phone. i set the phone to acquire ip form dhcp server.

Oh nice to hear, I'll keep that in mind when my friend ask me how to do it with his Smartphone :)

neesad

Sep 15, 2008
Can you explain how?Does it works on vista?Tanks for replying

Well I have tried that on my windows xp machine. However, when you enable ICS then I think it will provide ip to connected devices via DHCP. I just enabled phone to acquire ip via DCHP by going to the phones, Connection manager -- > Settings --> WLAN Settings --> Connection status ---> Menu --> IP Address --> And select Use server - assigned IP address.

Step, first enable ICS in your laptop -- > apply ip address to your phone like 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 and then connect your phone to your laptop in adhoc mode. Once the connection is established go to phone and change the ip address settings as given above ie. select server assigned ip address. i USED THIS MODE AS THERE WAS NO OPTION TO APPLY DNS IN THE PHONE.

habboc

Oct 3, 2011
how to connect ma phone to a wireless laptop

i have an htc HD2 running android ice cream os but de wireless is weak.how do i connect de phone to a wireless lenova laptop runnin windows 7.thank