Video performance : THE SOLUTION !

Search This thread

Millenius

Jun 24, 2006
It's not the ULTIMATE solution, but it's the only solution i found to watch videos perfectly in my Touch HD.

Video : HD trailer 800x480 @ 25 fps : Ice Age 2
Software : CorePlayer 1.2.5
First benchmark = 87% :(

First step :
Re-encoding the video in 240x400 on your PC with http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/ or http://www.virtualdub.org/
Why 240x400 ?
- the video is pre-rotated (instead of 400x240) (performance +5%)
- the resolution is exactly the half of the native resolution (480x800) (performance +60%)

Second step :
Customize the options of Coreplayer :
Menu / Tools / Colors = Native
Menu / Tools / Preferences / Video / Video output = Raw FrameBuffer
Menu / Tools / Preferences / Video / Smooth zoom = OFF
Menu / Tools / Preferences / Video / Dither = OFF (uncheck)
Menu / Tools / Preferences / Advanced / Slow video memory = check

Results (the quality of theses videos seem egal)
800x480 : 87%
800x480 (with the options) : 95%
240x400 : 141%
240x400 (with the options) : 232% :D

Enjoy :p

Sources :
http://www.newshq.fr/touchhd/Ice Age 2 - 480x800.avi
http://www.newshq.fr/touchhd/Ice Age 2 - 240x400.avi

Last edited:

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Any visible degradation on picture charity and details?

Would be good if you post both clips for all to see for themselves.

Beautiful work. Thanks.

HD trailer 800x480 @ 25 fps with CorePlayer 1.2.5

Benchmark = 87%

First step :
Re-encoding the video in 240x400 = 141%
Why 240x400 ?
- the video is pre-rotated (instead of 400x240)
- the resolution is exactly the half of the native resolution (480x800)

Second step :
Customize the options of Coreplayer :
Menu / Tools / Colors = Native
Menu / Tools / Preferences / Video / Video output = Raw FrameBuffer
Menu / Tools / Preferences / Video / Smooth zoom = OFF
Menu / Tools / Preferences / Video / Dither = OFF (uncheck)
Menu / Tools / Preferences / Advanced / Slow video memory = check

Result = 232.56 % !

Enjoy :p

Millenius

Jun 24, 2006
I upload the trailer "Ice Age 2 HD" on rapidshare (ready in 15min) :
800x480 3Mbits : 26 Mo
240x400 3Mbits : 13 Mo

atomikpt

Oct 20, 2007
Porto
Well I got to that solution a week ago, when I got my Touch HD.
But the Coreplayer options, I didn't knew.

Simpy using pocketdivxencoder is enough for me.

But thanks!

Cheers.

ez2remember

Nov 4, 2008
Nice solution...

The only problem many of us expecting the Touch HD to have good video performance without the hassles of re-encoding videos.

Oppressa

Jun 9, 2005
Sydney
You can't really expect the phone to resize every frame of a massive video eg 800 x 480 or whatever on the fly. If you want better results, of course you have to re-encode yourself to a more suitable size. Otherwise it's just wasting CPU usage and you'll definitely get slow downs.

Guus_

Nov 10, 2008
Sorry but this doesnt sould like a solution to me. Its just reencoding a file to a extreme low res, only a fourth of the pixels, and playing it.. Of course it plays ok, but its only 240x400, and besides that, its completely unpractical to reencode every moviefile. So: nothing changed, no solution at all...

tboy2000

Oct 21, 2006
London
Huawei Mate 20
Huawei Mate 20 X
First step :
Re-encoding the video in 240x400 on your PC with http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/ or http://www.virtualdub.org/
Why 240x400 ?
- the video is pre-rotated (instead of 400x240)
- the resolution is exactly the half of the native resolution (480x800)

What video bitrate and audio bitrate did you use in pocketdivxencoder to resize your video?

In the advanced options did you choose your ppc as portrait or landscape?

Finally, I can only resize at 400x240. How could you resize at 240x400?

Thanks!

kersh

Oct 28, 2007
oh yes, what a super duper solution, re-encode the video with less quality on a pc and losing time.

HTC should contract you for new developments.

This is not a solution, the only solution is get hardware acceleration and software allowed to use it.

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Guys,

If there is no noticeable degradation in picture quality and sharpness (which was my question in my post), why are you having problem with this solution? Why carry along and process all the 7.1 sound system when you only have stereo capability? Why carry along all the resolution of a blueray when you don't need it? Of course it is reasonable to go through some processing and bring it to a form that we need, minus all the unwanted and unnecessary stuff if that provides the same clarity and improves performance.

Is the reduced resolution becoming ****ty? If it is, then all the phones out there with such resolution (includinding the most worshipped iPhone) ought to be thrown in the bin too as a meda device.

Millenius, thanks for all your tips. It is definitely helpful.

Mal Bridgeman

Oct 8, 2008
Nice solution...

The only problem many of us expecting the Touch HD to have good video performance without the hassles of re-encoding videos.

I agree, although the proposal is offered as a solution I would say it's a clunky and expensive workround....but thanks for sharing for those who maybe already have the Coreplayer software. [1]

My Archos (heaven forbid I am going to say something positive about it) just does it .... screen is the same resolution. I drop a 700Mb file and it plays.

I do not know the difference in the internals but it is a disappointment because I was hoping to reduce down to a single device .... looks like the Archos has some life left in it yet.
Mal

[1] Why is there no trial for Coreplayer?

Matterhorn

Nov 29, 2004
Google Pixel 3
oh yes, what a super duper solution, re-encode the video with less quality on a pc and losing time.

HTC should contract you for new developments.

This is not a solution, the only solution is get hardware acceleration and software allowed to use it.

Yes, HTC should supply the video acceleration drivers...no doubt. However, there aren't many portable devices that can take a high res movie that is meant for a PC and play it perfectly. Another example, would you take a 12 mega-pixel image that you took from your DSLR and just download it to your HD for viewing...of course not, you would re-size it first to save disk space, knowing that the extra resolution is wasted on a screen that size anyway. It is a hassle, but worth the trouble.

Lucas0511

Mar 14, 2006
I dont know much about video resolutions and such, just want to be able to watch Divx TV series on my HD. And at this the HD did just fine - until I tried the settings recommended in the 1st post. Then I had a noticeable lag, and between every scene it felt like someone turned a page - black frame(s) - or turning a curtain, dont know how to explain otherwise. Got rid of all the changes, except Colour, and cannot check Dither again. Any idea?

CorePlayer 1.2.5, Video Divx 624x352, 23,97 fps, video file is 350 megs