Originally Posted by DAC324
I am just curious if DeviceUpdate could still be used or if it is gone for good now. I only get the "Error loading catalog..." error message when I start DeviceUpdate (Internet connection is verified working).
Yeah - after over 2 years of running it, I changed servers and found it would take almost a complete rewrite of a lot of the stable code to make it work in the new environment. As such, I decided to discontinue the project.
I did consider still doing the re-write, but the number of hours on it just wasn't worth it.
EDIT: I learnt some interesting things during it. I'll quickly summerise:
1) Total income from DeviceUpdate: $245AUD
2) Number of apps served until shutdown: Over 2 million
3) Approximate bandwidth used in 24 months: 1.2Tb
4) Rounded number of users: 980,000
5) Approx cost of hosting over 24 months: $480AUD
Only 3 people had premium subscriptions in the end - and it just wasn't enough to justify spending more time on it.
WM6.1 based - Stable - Release 13.5
- Released 26-Sep-2009 (Build 20270)
Looking for a Hermes Radio? Try my Radio Repository