Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,254 Members 35,905 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Updated 07-Apr-2009] DeviceUpdate v2.1.1.1 released! Over 1,000,000 apps served!

Tip us?

DAC324
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default DeviceUpdate dead?

Hello,

I am just curious if DeviceUpdate could still be used or if it is gone for good now. I only get the "Error loading catalog..." error message when I start DeviceUpdate (Internet connection is verified working).

Kind regards,

DAC324

CRCinAU
Old
(Last edited by CRCinAU; 24th January 2012 at 12:37 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC324 View Post
Hello,

I am just curious if DeviceUpdate could still be used or if it is gone for good now. I only get the "Error loading catalog..." error message when I start DeviceUpdate (Internet connection is verified working).

Kind regards,

DAC324
Hi mate,

Yeah - after over 2 years of running it, I changed servers and found it would take almost a complete rewrite of a lot of the stable code to make it work in the new environment. As such, I decided to discontinue the project.

I did consider still doing the re-write, but the number of hours on it just wasn't worth it.

EDIT: I learnt some interesting things during it. I'll quickly summerise:

1) Total income from DeviceUpdate: $245AUD
2) Number of apps served until shutdown: Over 2 million
3) Approximate bandwidth used in 24 months: 1.2Tb
4) Rounded number of users: 980,000
5) Approx cost of hosting over 24 months: $480AUD

Only 3 people had premium subscriptions in the end - and it just wasn't enough to justify spending more time on it.
Hermes ROMs:
WM6.1 based - Stable - Release 13.5 - Released 26-Sep-2009 (Build 20270)

Looking for a Hermes Radio? Try my Radio Repository

DAC324
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hello,

that's a real pity. Perhaps it would be possible to use a free space / hosting service from now on (I'd expect the number of users still interested in WM apps will constantly decrease and so will also the traffic for such a site).

Kind regards,

DAC324

CRCinAU
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC324 View Post
Hello,

that's a real pity. Perhaps it would be possible to use a free space / hosting service from now on (I'd expect the number of users still interested in WM apps will constantly decrease and so will also the traffic for such a site).

Kind regards,

DAC324
Well, the download system was VERY advanced. I had 4 mirrors worldwide and depending on where you were located, you'd go to a local mirror. The traffic quoted above was just for my site. I know the European mirror alone used to do 50-80Gb/mo every month until I shut it down.

The problem with free hosting sites is that it breaks the whole idea of having a seemless install. Nobody gives away space on high-bandwidth sites without at least having ad exposure. There wasn't the facilities to add this in.

I even toyed with the idea of doing micro-payments of $0.05c per app - which would have given me some full time income to work on the system - but people just aren't interested in donating or paying for these things these days.
Hermes ROMs:

Tabbe
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCinAU View Post
Well, the download system was VERY advanced. I had 4 mirrors worldwide and depending on where you were located, you'd go to a local mirror. The traffic quoted above was just for my site. I know the European mirror alone used to do 50-80Gb/mo every month until I shut it down.

The problem with free hosting sites is that it breaks the whole idea of having a seemless install. Nobody gives away space on high-bandwidth sites without at least having ad exposure. There wasn't the facilities to add this in.

I even toyed with the idea of doing micro-payments of $0.05c per app - which would have given me some full time income to work on the system - but people just aren't interested in donating or paying for these things these days.
its really a pity & there are people who are still using your rom on 838pro with this app in it. but we have come to the end of Windows mobile so i dont think anyone will pay for any apps now.
Would really like to see this project to go on or as an open source project. so others can program & link up to their web server offering .cab

someoneee
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Off-topic,but I don't believe there is over 2000000 apps on windows mobile

calita
Old
Thanks Meter 0
please admin close these thread !!!!!
is annoying not get anywere with no download

jimmybl
Old
Thanks Meter 1
CRCinAU, please contact me, i have some suggestion and wish to help you getting DeviceUpdate back online - there is no good app store on hole web like your was ... so, please contact me soon as possible

CRCinAU
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
I'm still around
Hermes ROMs:

Tags
device update, deviceupdate