Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 53,380 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I Need Different Lenses for my Glasses

Tip us?

Dr. Hax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
If my axis is 72 degrees and I tilt my lenses 25 degrees to the left (my left), is it increasing or decreasing the angle? Like, does it become a smaller or bigger number?
Current phones: Google Nexus 4 (16GB) and Samsung Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile)
Retired phones: DROID RAZR M. Galaxy Nexus (borked and sold)HTC Thunderbolt. HTC Rezound ("rented") Droid Incredible (gave to girlfriend) and Droid X (sold!)
Computer setup: AMD Phenom II X4 820 OC'd to 3.2GHz with 4GB DDR3 and an Nvidia GeForce GTX470

Earphones: Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10's

This statement is false.
New mission: abort mission.
Does a set of all sets contain itself?

mtmerrick
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hax View Post
Yes, I'm quite aware this is off-topic... even for off-topic xD, but in all glasses forums I've found online, there's just no activity going on -.-

I'm nearly 17, and I wear fairly high-prescription glasses. I hate the lenses. It is becoming nearly painful to look at things now!

Things are clear and sharp. No complaints there, I'm complaining about the type of lens! I'm forced to use the horrible polycarbonate lenses because I'm under 18? I want CR-39 (plastic) lenses because the visual quality is MUCH better. On poly lenses, on the edges, there's significant color distortion.
I requested plastic lenses and the lady was asking me why as if it was the most far-fetched thing she had ever heard, and I explained fairly clearly why I want them instead. Then she was all "Ok, but plastic lenses are gonna be about twice as thick" I stopped her there and said "Honestly, I could care less about that. I take pictures and view 2 fairly large computer screens for a good portion of my day, every day. I have a wide view area, and I'd appreciate no color distortion for the minute 'con' of being thicker. I really don't think anyone else will care either."
she had this look on her face like I had just explained to an iPhone fanatic how the Galaxy Nexus pwns it. And she finally says "Well... umm... our policy is that anyone under 18 HAS to have polycarbonate lenses because they're shatterproof."

It was so difficult to say "Oh... Thanks anyway...." but I did without even sounding rude -.-
she seriously wasted my time to hear me explain, only to tell me I have no choice? and what kind of bs reason is they're shatterproof? Who cares? Plastic isn't going to ruin my eyes when they break from an impact unless it's an impact that would cause it to break in a similar matter to glass. I don't play sports, so polycarbonate lenses makes no sense.
On top of it all, plastic lenses are MUCH cheaper. Better visual quality and cheaper.

What do I do? I've had these glasses for about a month now and had the lenses changed today because my prescription was off. what are my options? I can't do contacts because they're expensive and I have astigmatism. There must be something I can do.
I'm 17, have TERRIBLE vision (20/40 is the best they can get me with glasses) and just got new glasses lately.

I was told that it was impossible for my prescription to fit inside plastic lenses, i had no choice but to have poly-carbonate lenses. love em, sharpest i've seen in years. of the plastic-vs-polycarb samples they had at the optician's, i preferred how the polycarb lenses looked anyways.

My Comprehensive Android Buyer's Guide

Main Device:
Bootloader Unlocked VZW Note II running Paranoid Android 4.2 Beta 3

Other Devices:
Toshiba L505 (PC), Samsung Chromebook (ARM), Iconia A500 (Tablet), Droid Charge, Droid X2 (dead), LG Vortex (bootlooping)

Dr. Hax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmerrick View Post
I'm 17, have TERRIBLE vision (20/40 is the best they can get me with glasses) and just got new glasses lately.

I was told that it was impossible for my prescription to fit inside plastic lenses, i had no choice but to have poly-carbonate lenses. love em, sharpest i've seen in years. of the plastic-vs-polycarb samples they had at the optician's, i preferred how the polycarb lenses looked anyways.
They lied. They CAN make the lenses. But they'd prefer to sell you polycarbonate lenses because they make more money. Shocker they didn't tell you about Trivex.
Retired phones: DROID RAZR M. Galaxy Nexus (borked and sold)HTC Thunderbolt. HTC Rezound ("rented") Droid Incredible (gave to girlfriend) and Droid X (sold!)
Computer setup: AMD Phenom II X4 820 OC'd to 3.2GHz with 4GB DDR3 and an Nvidia GeForce GTX470

This statement is false.

mtmerrick
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hax View Post
They lied. They CAN make the lenses. But they'd prefer to sell you polycarbonate lenses because they make more money. Shocker they didn't tell you about Trivex.
I think they just didn't have those lenses/that material available to them. =P never seen that name/logo before.

My Comprehensive Android Buyer's Guide

Main Device:
Bootloader Unlocked VZW Note II running Paranoid Android 4.2 Beta 3

Other Devices:
Toshiba L505 (PC), Samsung Chromebook (ARM), Iconia A500 (Tablet), Droid Charge, Droid X2 (dead), LG Vortex (bootlooping)

Dr. Hax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
I'm pretty happy with goggles4u.
I noticed that my doc got my axis wrong in my left eye. It is 54, but if I turn the lens to about 120 degrees, things become much sharper, as sharp as they are in my right eye. So I made the slight modification to my rx on goggles4u (I used an angle tool to measure just how much I'm re-angling my lens)

This statement is false.