Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 41,261 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] [ROOT] Reset Flash Counter [Confirmed VZW, Assumes others are the same]

Tip us?

SQFreak
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggity Janx View Post
In Adam's OP are the bootloader and pda to flash. After flashing these and performing a data/cache wipe you will not have the Custom unlock showing. Performed this just last night.
Is the bootloader dump separate from the stock ROM at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1755386, or will flashing that stock ROM also take the bootloader back? I had a custom recovery and flashed a different one, and suddenly I have an unlocked icon. The flash counter is still at 0 though. I tried flashing back to stock recovery and that didn't work.

Hypnosis4U2NV
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschelon View Post

Possible, although unlikely as the custom "unlocked" icon comes from flashing a custom recovery.
I ran the app and nothing happened, either after running it and after I rebooted.. Unlocked icon still remains, which is why I asked if it would work..

I think that's more important than the flash counter for us Verizon users since most of us aren't flashing any custom ROMs yet other than stock ones which are rooted and/or debloated/deodexed and zipaligned.. Imagine returning a phone with that custom screen boot screen.. Yikes..

Sent from my Commodore 64..
READY.
load"*", 8,1

Noxious Ninja
Old
(Last edited by Noxious Ninja; 19th July 2012 at 04:49 AM.)
Thanks Meter 425

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQFreak View Post
Is the bootloader dump separate from the stock ROM at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1755386, or will flashing that stock ROM also take the bootloader back? I had a custom recovery and flashed a different one, and suddenly I have an unlocked icon. The flash counter is still at 0 though. I tried flashing back to stock recovery and that didn't work.
I think the bootloader dump is separate from the boot.img in the ROM. The PDA package in Adam's post is the ROM from the stock ROMs thread. I believe they're meant to be used together if you really, really need to wipe everything.

Jiggity Janx
Old
Thanks Meter 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by preusstang View Post
Strangely, I get the unlock icon - even if the phone is completely stock - anytime I boot into download mode (I think). I've done it on accident a few times.. never noticed the counter before tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQFreak View Post
I tried flashing back to stock recovery and that didn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis4U2NV View Post
I ran the app and nothing happened, either after running it and after I rebooted.. Unlocked icon still remains, which is why I asked if it would work
From what I understand you MUST wipe data/cache after flashing to clear the unlock icon. Someone mentioned it in one of the posts (will credit if/when I find).
2 Verizon G3 io-rooted stock 2 Verizon One MAX rumrunner.us s-off Note 8.0 & 3 2 OG Nexus 7 w/ CM11

mybook4
Old
Thanks Meter 262

DONATE TO ME
QUOTE=Noxious Ninja;28991583]I think the bootloader dump is separate from the boot.img in the ROM. The PDA package in Adam's post is the ROM from the stock ROMs thread. I believe they're meant to be used together if you really, really need to wipe everything.[/QUOTE]

Yes, boot.img is the kernel. Contains a 2KB header, the kernel, then a gzipped ramdisk (initialization files). In our case the boot.img also contains a signature that is checked by the bootloader (the reason we can't run custom kernels from the default boot.img partition (mmcblk0p7). For anyone interested in learning more, I recommend googling mkbootimg.c and bootimg.h. This is the C program used to package a kernel/ramdisk into the boot.img form. I recommend reading this small program while having the stock boot.img open in a text editor (to follow along).

The bootloader consists of several partitions on the gs3. I forget all of them, but opening Adam's bootloader tar will show what partitions belong to the bootloader on the gs3. The first page of Adam's post also has each mmcblk listed with a name associated (for most of them). The list of the files in the bootloader tar can be matched to the mmcblk locations.

Note: We may be able to flash the bootloader tar in Odin if your phone is working (haven't tried it), BUT if your phone isn't booting correctly (i.e. you messed around with one of the bootloader partitions) it may never get to a state that would allow Odin to work. I'm not positive about this, but better to be safe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
-----------------------------------------------------------
Like what I do? Donate to the coffee fund

Hypnosis4U2NV
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
From what I understand you MUST wipe data/cache after flashing to clear the unlock icon. Someone mentioned it in one of the posts (will credit if/when I find).
First time it's gone, but reboot and it comes back again..

In case anyone wants to know what the screen looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung Boot.jpg
Views:	1261
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	1210917  

cortland1998
Old
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
What is this Flash Counter I am reading about in forums? I've been on iOS for a few years, until this sexy S3 came out. I'm not familiar with Flash Counter... Thanks
Follow me on Twitter @cortland1998

simollie
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
In Adam's OP are the bootloader and pda to flash. After flashing these and performing a data/cache wipe you will not have the Custom unlock showing. Performed this just last night.

*Just for FYI. He added them yesterday afternoon I believe.
Which Adam's OP? Could you post link please? thanks.

Muckrak3r
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortland1998 View Post
What is this Flash Counter I am reading about in forums? I've been on iOS for a few years, until this sexy S3 came out. I'm not familiar with Flash Counter... Thanks
It counts the number of times the phone gets flashed. So carriers can reject warranty coverage.

Sent from my locked bootloader Verizon GSIII.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muckrak3r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidstyle
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3320

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis4U2NV View Post
First time it's gone, but reboot and it comes back again..

In case anyone wants to know what the screen looks like:
My device booted up stock that way...so did a couple other members devices.
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Note III Dev. Edition
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S Fascinate GUIDE
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note III GUIDE

Tags
flash counter, galaxy s3, galaxy siii, verizon