[Q] Google Voice and call log?

Search This thread

ronin4740

Oct 22, 2007
Both my T989 (Galaxy II) and T999 (Galaxy III) are setup to use google voice for all calls.

On my T989 the call logs showed the numbers of the contacts I dialed in the call log and I believe when I was dialing out.

On the T999 the call logs show the google voice number that bridges the call, not the callers phone number and shows the same when dialing out.

I can't seem to figure out how to fix this so the contact's name/number is shown in the call logs rather than the number the phone dialed to connect the call.

Anyone had and fixed this issue?

Thanks!

Reactions: xak944

rifleman2

Apr 11, 2008
Both my T989 (Galaxy II) and T999 (Galaxy III) are setup to use google voice for all calls.

On my T989 the call logs showed the numbers of the contacts I dialed in the call log and I believe when I was dialing out.

On the T999 the call logs show the google voice number that bridges the call, not the callers phone number and shows the same when dialing out.

I can't seem to figure out how to fix this so the contact's name/number is shown in the call logs rather than the number the phone dialed to connect the call.

Thanks!

same problems on my I747 (AT&T S3). Very annoying.

Reactions: ragarwal74

Janis

Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis, MN US
Ditto. Very frustrating. It seems to my limited brain that it might be the phone apk taking it's data from a network source rather than the phone's dialer. I'm contemplating trying a different model's phone.apk, but I really need my phone to work, and I haven't flashed a ROM yet on this one.

Reactions: ragarwal74

ragarwal74

Jun 10, 2012
No more comments since, have you guys figured out how to fix this. If yes, kindly post the solution.

This is ridiculous, I am seriously considering taking this (otherwise a fine) phone back to store.

This bug is a deal breaker for me. Good phone/hardware/software design should follow standards.

Ditto. Very frustrating. It seems to my limited brain that it might be the phone apk taking it's data from a network source rather than the phone's dialer. I'm contemplating trying a different model's phone.apk, but I really need my phone to work, and I haven't flashed a ROM yet on this one.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Seriously, this is absolutely a huge annoyance. Completely a deal breaker. I am going to take this phone back if this can't be fixed.

I refuse to deal with this. I need GV to work as intended. I need to have this ANDROID phone behave like an android phone. If I wanted a phone controlled by the manufacturer, I would buy the crap iPhone.

Really, either Samsung fixes this issue within this week, or this phone is going back.

having the same problem as well on my SGS 3... works as expected on my HTC 1XL. seems you can redial the number you intended to dial from the call log.

z0phi3l

Jan 8, 2010
Eden Prairie MN
Google Pixel 7 Pro
No more comments since, have you guys figured out how to fix this. If yes, kindly post the solution.

This is ridiculous, I am seriously considering taking this (otherwise a fine) phone back to store.

This bug is a deal breaker for me. Good phone/hardware/software design should follow standards.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Seriously, this is absolutely a huge annoyance. Completely a deal breaker. I am going to take this phone back if this can't be fixed.

I refuse to deal with this. I need GV to work as intended. I need to have this ANDROID phone behave like an android phone. If I wanted a phone controlled by the manufacturer, I would buy the crap iPhone.

Really, either Samsung fixes this issue within this week, or this phone is going back.

Just install one of the many alt dialers till you find one that works how you want it to, no need to get all hysterical over this so called bug

sun365

Nov 4, 2007
Miami
I have the same problem with GV and Galaxy S3.
Did you ever find a solution?

psykhotic

Aug 22, 2012
Can you explain the problem better. I think my iPad shows the random google number too. If that's what you're talking about.

sun365

Nov 4, 2007
Miami
When your phone is set to use GV when dialing then GV does use some (random?) number (say you dial 202-123-1234 GV might show dialing 617-444-3333) but then in the Log you would see the number you dialed (202-123-1234) not the num that GV used (617-444-3333). This is how it works in other phones that I have used. Bug is with the Galaxy S3 that show the GV number in the log. If you click on the GV num that appears in the log you will be connected correctly, but it's beyond annoying to not be able to see/find numbers/people (people cause the contacts are associated with the real number, not the one that GV uses).

psykhotic

Aug 22, 2012
I'm getting there, I think lol.

Are you dialing out using the phone app? Or gv app? Can you make the call/see it correctly if you dial out through the web browser?

And what you're saying is that the call log shows the google service number not what was dialed.

In my stock phone app my call log shows the number of a person who called my gv number and was forwarded to me. Do incomming calls display correctly?

Last edited:

sun365

Nov 4, 2007
Miami
I am dialing out using the Phone app.
When you say the "call see it" I figure you mean the Log. I don't know how to dial using Voice (GV on the phone) as I don't see a dial pad there as I do on my desktop computer.

>>And what you're saying is that the call log shows the google service number not what was dialed.
EXACTLY

psykhotic

Aug 22, 2012
Install google chrome and navigate to the voice site. I don't really use gv anymore but it could interest you. I found using it through the web always gave a better experience because it's more robust.

In the phone app is it just outgoing that's messed up or incoming too? I didn't even know the stock dialer could be used for gv :p

sun365

Nov 4, 2007
Miami
going to the website, and using the call back, it works fine - but that defeats the whole beauty of being able to use the phone dialer and transparently it uses GV (this might be new to Android v 4). The setting for this is in Voice (android app for GV) under settings, Making calls. For me the reason I want to use GV for all outgoing calls is so that ppl know me by the GV number since my SIM changes often and if they get the SIM number they tend to save it, later trying to reach me at this number and finding it's no longer in use....

d.cortez

Dec 30, 2005
north texas
Google Pixel Fold
I am dialing out using the Phone app.
When you say the "call see it" I figure you mean the Log. I don't know how to dial using Voice (GV on the phone) as I don't see a dial pad there as I do on my desktop computer.

>>And what you're saying is that the call log shows the google service number not what was dialed.
EXACTLY
this is an issue with the Touch Wiz ROM and Google Voice.. if i use a stock TouchWiz ROM and GV, and call a contact, then the service number is in the call log. when i use the CM10 ROM and, i call a contact, the call log lists contact phone number. either way, i'm disappointed that Samsung and/or Google haven't addressed this issue. t

Reactions: chrismcnally

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!
    I'm experiencing the same issue with outbound google voice calls and the stock dialer logs.
    having the same problem as well on my SGS 3... works as expected on my HTC 1XL. seems you can redial the number you intended to dial from the call log.

Thanks!

same problems on my I747 (AT&T S3). Very annoying.