[Resources] Flashing your First GSM Raphael Rom (For Noobs)

Search This thread

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
Before you start, backup anything on your phone you might want to keep after the new Rom has been flashed as all contacts, emails, texts, notes, Internet BookMarks/ ect. WILL be lost!!

PimBackup is good and free (copy any mms attachments to your storage card or computer seperately)

[FONT=&quot]***THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR THE GSM RAPHAEL'S ONLY!!! DO NOT USE WITH CDMA VERSIONS***[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If your phone has a SIM Card Slot then its a GSM Model. Carry on reading.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If it has no SIM Card then its CDMA and you should not use this procedure.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]**USE THE WIKI FOR EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR RAPHAEL**[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]*ONCE YOU HAVE FLASHED A HARDSPL ITS PERMANENT. YOU DONT NEED TO DO IT AGAIN WHEN FLASHING NEW ROMS OR RADIOS*[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]*DO NOT start another process while the flashing process is taking place*[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*DO NOT click off of the status bar... Let it stay in the foreground* [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*DO NOT let the Screensaver activate*[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](any of these can lead to a bad flash and possibly brick your phone)[/FONT]

*FLASH HARDSPL BEFORE FLASHING ANY CUSTOM ROMS*

[FONT=&quot]1. YOUR DEVICE MUST HAVE AT LEAST 50% BATTERY POWER FIRST BEFORE ATTEMPTING EACH STAGE[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. FLASH HARDSPL[/FONT]

Before flashing make sure you have installed Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on your PC

[FONT=&quot]Flashing via ActiveSync with USB Lead (thanks to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]OliNex)[/FONT]
1. Download Hard-SPL package and unzip it to your Hard Drive. Make sure it's launched from a local drive (not through network drive, etc.)
2. REMOVE SIM and SD CARDS!!
3. Turn phone back on and let it boot back into your operating system
4. Connect your phone to PC with a USB cable and wait until it syncs with your PC
5. Run RaphaelHardSPL-Unsigned_190_1_3.exe
6. Follow steps in the RUU (Rom Update Utility), check device for prompts after PC shows loading bar
7. It should go to a black screen now
8. SPL flashes, device automatically reboots, job done

9. To confirm you installed it correctly, go into bootloader mode (tricolour screen!) and verify the screen shows 1.90.OliNex

[FONT=&quot]**To enter Bootloader and check HardSPL version; with the device turned OFF, press and hold the volume down button, then press the reset button with the stylus. Release the volume down button when bootloader tricolour screen appears**[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NOTE 1: You will not see the SPL version during normal boot, that is the OS version, not SPL![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NOTE 2: Anyone having problems with the device entering SSPL automatically, please copy SSPLManual.exe from the download to the device and run it. Once the screen is black, run RUU manually from the PC.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NOTE 3: This is an unsigned Hard-SPL. no limitations on flashing ROMs or radio packages. Also, this has overwrite protection, if someone needs to revert to stock SPL for warranty reasons, go *HERE*[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NOTE 4: DO NOT use this RUU for anything other than SPL flashing (i.e. hardspl or stock spl restore)!!! If you want to flash some other rom, then use customruu from *HERE* [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. SIM AND CID UNLOCK [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](OPTIONAL)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Note: You do not need to SIM or CID Unlock your phone to flash a new Rom.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If, however you want to flash Diamond/ Blacksone Radios OR use your phone on a different Network then you MUST Unlock your phone.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To Unlock your phone go *HERE*[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. DOWNLOAD AND FLASH YOUR PREFERED ROM.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Flashing Via ActiveSync[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Download your prefered Rom from the Raphael Rom Develpoment Page and unzip/unrar it to your computer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. REMOVE SIM and microSD CARDS!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Turn phone back on and wait until it syncs with your PC[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Run the Raphael_RUU.exe (or [/FONT]
RaphaelWrapper.exe if thats included instead) [FONT=&quot]from the Roms Folder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Once phone finishes flashing and gets to the screen where it configures the stylus, HARD RESET[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](hold the VOLUME DOWN and ENTER (center) Buttons, press the RESET button with the stylus tip, then release the RESET button but continue to hold the VOLUME DOWN and ENTER buttons until the reset screen appears)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. Follow onscreen instructions to set up your New Rom[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Once phone has gone through the customisation procedure then replace Sim and microSD Cards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. Turn phone back on and set up as required[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Flashing Via MicroSD Card[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Make sure your microSD is Formatted to fat32 using a PC (you dont have to delete all files but it is safer if you do)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Download your prefered Rom from the Raphael Rom Develpoment Page and unzip/unrar it to your computer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Goto the Roms Folder and rename the .nbh file to RAPHIMG.nbh[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Copy the RAPHIMG.nbh file to the root of your microSD Card[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Remove Sim Card and Restart phone
6. Plug the microSD Card into the phone
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7. Press and hold the volume down button, then press the reset button with the stylus. Release the volume down button when bootloader tricolour screen appears[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. Follow the onscreen instructions to start flashing[/FONT]
9. Once phone finishes flashing and says Update Complete, reset with the stylus
[FONT=&quot]10. When it gets to the screen where it configures the stylus, HARD RESET[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](hold the VOLUME DOWN and ENTER (center) Buttons, press the RESET button with the stylus tip, then release the RESET button but continue to hold the VOLUME DOWN and ENTER buttons until the reset screen appears)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. Follow onscreen instructions to set up your New Rom[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5. FLASH PREFERED RADIO IF DESIRED (OPTIONAL).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For more information about different compatible Radios that you can use go *HERE*[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]**If you want to Flash a Non Raphael Radio then your phone MUST be Security Unlocked** [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Flashing Via ActiveSync[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sync your phone with the PC, Run the Raphael_RUU.exe from the Radio's Folder and follow the instructions.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Flashing via MicroSD Card[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Make sure your microSD is Formatted to fat32 using a PC (you dont have to delete all files but it is safer if you do)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Download your prefered Radio from the Raphael Rom Develpoment Page and unzip/unrar it to your computer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Goto the Radios Folder and rename the .nbh file to RAPHIMG.nbh[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Copy the RAPHIMG.nbh file to the root of your microSD Card[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Plug the microSD Card into the phone[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. Press and hold the volume down button, then press the reset button with the stylus. Release the volume down button when bootloader tricolour screen appears[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Follow the onscreen instructions to start flashing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. After the flash finishes press the reset button with the stylus to reset the device[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6. JOB DONE[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Well Done YOU DID IT!![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have attached all the files needed so you dont need to hunt around for anything. Good Luck.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]*DISCLAIMER*[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I take no responsibility for any fault or damage caused by any procedures within this guide. No warranties of any kind are given.[/FONT]

Last edited:

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
** FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND HELP WHEN FLASHING **

1. What the benifits are of flashing a new rom?

Flashing a New Rom basically gets rid of all the garbage thats included on Stock Roms and Flashes a Clean, Optimized, Fully loaded Rom that will squeeze every ounce of speed and stability from your phone. Chefs usually include all the programs you are ever likely to need and because the Rom has been cleaned out you are left with more memory to play around with.

2. What are the different types of Unlock? (answer by DaveShaw)
The three stages of unlock are:
SIM: Allows you to use SIM's from another carrier. Can be done using codes or unlocker programs on xda-devs.
Security: Allows you to flash radios from another device (i.e. Raphael) - It does other stuff, but this is all the casual user will use it for :)
CID: CID unlocking is an old concept, nowadays you flash Hard SPL instead. This lets you flash any ROM, Splash or Radio (depending on sec unlock) to your device. N.B. the CID is the carrier ID (e.g. HTC__001). The stock SPL's only let you flash ROM's that match the CID in the ROM image with the CID on your device.

Also, SuperCID is an even older concept no longer valid on newer devices.

Last edited:

Alucard_11

Oct 22, 2008
Miami
Wow, Great job Mskip!

Just wat i was looking for.
A couple questions though...

1. These instructions will also work on the Fuze, right?

2. Once the phone is done flashing and it is booting up, we are sopposed to HARD RESET when we get to the Stylus Config part?...I didnt know that...ive read some other tutorials, and this step isnt included? o_O?

Last edited:

Keystone

Nov 3, 2007
Victoria, BC
gj, mskip, but shouldn't you be clear that your instructions and links are only for GSM Raphaels???? As of the past few weeks the flood gates are now open among 5 North American carriers for the CDMA version of the Raphael. No sense in encouraging confusion and hassles from those less in the know.

There is a release for an unlocker for the CDMA phones, but after a quick search some may mistakenly find themselves to your links and info here.

Last edited:

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
gj, mskip, but shouldn't you be clear that your instructions and links are only for GSM Raphaels???? As of the past few weeks the flood gates are now open among 5 North American carriers for the CDMA version of the Raphael. No sense in encouraging confusion and hassles from those less in the know.

There is a release for an unlocker for the CDMA phones, but after a quick search some may mistakenly find themselves to your links and info here.
Thanks for the info its been noted in the tutorial. I was only asked to write it last night so any information or changes needed are welcomed :)

respider

Sep 18, 2008
Sao Paulo
might sound stupid, but I think you should say what RUU means and what it is...

first time I flashed hardSPL I couldnt find what this RUU means (while reading steps before flashing).
I started flashing without knowing what it was, when I opened the .exe its title was self-explaining, but its hard to know before starting... because the .exe name is not RUU or something like that

Sorry for bad english!

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
might sound stupid, but I think you should say what RUU means and what it is...

first time I flashed hardSPL I couldnt find what this RUU means (while reading steps before flashing).
I started flashing without knowing what it was, when I opened the .exe its title was self-explaining, but its hard to know before starting... because the .exe name is not RUU or something like that

Sorry for bad english!
Done. Thanks for the input :)

Captchunk

Oct 5, 2008
Phoenix
Thanks for taking the time to write this guide for all of the noobs (like me :D). I'm still unsure whether I'm willing to gamble right away with my Fuze next month, but I've made sure this thread is bookmarked in case I decide to take the plunge!

Coromoto

Aug 19, 2008
What should one do if using the MicroSD card method and the Olinex HardSPL says Loading... No Image File!:confused:

lmeyers

Jun 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Bricked Fuze?

I was using OliPro Rapheal Unlocker and seemed to have bricked myself. (my fault, I understand the risk) I'm not a total newbee, but first time I ran into this. Any ideas how to get past a Upgrade ROM code error? Updated from 8525 to Fuze.

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
I was using OliPro Rapheal Unlocker and seemed to have bricked myself. (my fault, I understand the risk) I'm not a total newbee, but first time I ran into this. Any ideas how to get past a Upgrade ROM code error? Updated from 8525 to Fuze.
I dont recognize the SPL version in your signature is it from Oli's Sim/CID Unlocker?

Can you explain exactly what you have done to your phone and when you bricked it please. Also can you load your Rom up or does it get stuck.

Have you tried flashing the HardSPL from Step1?

scotchua

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 10, 2007
Ketchikan, Alaska
www.scotchua.com

If you flashed the hardspl, then you should be fine and should not have done any lasting damage. You didn't read the part of the instructions that tell you that you must first flash a 1.01 version of the att radio. You can get that here:

http://www.rapidspread.com/file.jsp?id=v3q7csfizy

If you don't then you get the rom upgrade error. Just put your phone into bootloader (tri-color screen), and flash that radio. Also, as always, questions about specific roms, apps, etc should be posted in the thread they came from. That is where all the people most knowledgable about the subject are most likely to read it.

@Mskip, i think that SPL is for his 8525 not his fuze.

Last edited:

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
If you flashed the hardspl, then you should be fine and should not have done any lasting damage. You didn't read the part of the instructions that tell you that you must first flash a 1.01 version of the att radio. You can get that here:

http://www.rapidspread.com/file.jsp?id=v3q7csfizy

If you don't then you get the rom upgrade error. Just put your phone into bootloader (tri-color screen), and flash that radio. Also, as always, questions about specific roms, apps, etc should be posted in the thread they came from. That is where all the people most knowledgable about the subject are most likely to read it.

@Mskip, i think that SPL is for his 8525 not his fuze.
oh ok lol thanks for the input scot :)

Coromoto

Aug 19, 2008
you cant flash HardSPL via microSD Card
I did know and realize that, and your walkthrough doesn't give instructions for that either, but rather for flashing a ROM using the mSD method.

I was referring to flashing a new ROM from the MicroSD card and getting this error message in the HardSPL Bootloader screen. The ROM image has the proper name (RAPHIMG.nbh) but isn't seen by the OliNex bootloader.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Will Flashing my ROM remove Windows Mobile and tf3d? Or is it just like upgrading a BIOS/Kernal on a computer?

but you should look for the rom you want to install.. many of the developers who cook together roms usualy makes the rom faster by deleting stuff and adding tweaks.. most of the raphael rom from most of the developers do contain tf3d.. just read through some of the threads of roms you find and chose the one you would like.. you could always change rom if there is some you dont like..- but do read the first page of this thread to be aware of the prosess...