[HARDWARE FAULT] [BSOD] Blank Screen of Death : Information Board - Updated 29/07/12

Search This thread

Atrixx

Jul 25, 2009
Melbourne
A few users have reported a Blank Screen of Death, with myself included.

The problem being that the phone's display doesn't switch on when you wake up the device. At this time, Everything else will including the Digitizer and Capacitive buttons.

I have spoken with HTC service centers across Australia and NZ to come to the conclusion that this is a motherboard problem. The infamous flickering issue seems to be involved also, which ends up shorting out the video driver.
The issue isn't just limited to the screen not displaying anything either, there's also the possibility that the back light will cut out, and sometimes leading to corruption on the display.

This isn't just with some devices either, it seems like anyone that has had the screen flickering issue are at risk of this.
To give you an idea of how much it costs to fix this issue, I was quoted at $250 AUD for just the motherboard alone.
The best part is, HTC may also deny your warranty for unlocking your bootloader, as they have with me.

I'll be posting more information as it develops.

EDIT 29/07/12 :: I'm going to request a transcript of my last conversation with HTC but until then, they're denying that this is a problem and saying that it's the user's fault. How? We use our phones to much, or inappropriately.
It's becoming obvious that they're trying to avoid spending anymore money fixing these issues, and have decided just to move on and release a new One X model. (according to news sources.)

Also, Boobinator just posted a video of the One X's screen corrupting while it isn't stuck under the BSOD which you can see here and here

Just to recap.
When the initial issues were found with screen flickering and corruption on the display, we were told it was a software issue.
Many months later, I along with many of you are still experiencing it, even though it's not nearly as bad as it once was.
Now there are growing reports that One X's are starting to lose their displays, and the poly-carbonate weakening and bending the antenna pins. (You can find more information here)

This is something you should all be aware about when purchasing this phone.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

xdviper

Jan 5, 2009
Maybe us in America can file a class action lawsuit? I'm no lawyer here but anyone with better understanding of American consumer laws chime in?
This is problem that occurs with normal usage of the phone.

dakine

Nov 13, 2006
Another day, another hardware issue. HTC is going down the drain, im hugely disappointed in the way they are handling this mess. Improper testing, too slow to fix problems or ignore/deny them. Bull**** games about unlocking and warranty and now they are already talking about releasing more phones. Its easier for them to move on to a new model than to do the right thing and do a complete recall. Is this a QC issue or a design flaw, with all the negative reports I'm thinking its the latter.

HTC better handle this properly, they need to stop development on all new products untill this is solved.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

pierreammoun

Jan 2, 2011
Can u please send me details about the store that sells the motherboard ?
I have the same problem...and I need my phone fixed !

Thx

cfraz89

Dec 11, 2010
Mine too :(

This just started happening to mine :( Nothing displayed on the screen, but it still responds to inputs. Even rebooting into fastboot, same problem. So everything is functioning except the display.

Have just handed it back to vodafone for repair, don't like my odds with the unlocked bootloader though :/

Reactions: rosurina

VaderSKN

Apr 22, 2011
Stockholm
I had this issue on Viper or Android Revolution, but not on other ROMs. But I'm starting to get wifi issue, scratches, scratches on camera lins. I should buy S3, not this.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium HD app

and313

Nov 2, 2010
Google Pixel 5
sent it back because of flickering. I just hope they will fix the problem properly and change the motherboard.

Sent from my Legend using xda app-developers app

Sebastian768

Jul 17, 2008
This happened to my Incredible S too if any one's interested.....

I'm not buying the HOX, I'm sorry. There's just too many different issues for too many people with this phone. It's an expensive top of the line phone, that does appear to be pretty shoddy put together. I don't care if it's under warranty and I have dumbass-insurance if I break it, but I can't send my phone inn all the time even if it's free. You shouldn't have to send it in at all.......

I presume now know we know why HTC is loosing money, market share and their stocks are going down....

Reactions: mr.dj26

boobinator

May 30, 2012
This happened to me too, about a month ago, the phones been in repair since then(1 month, are you freaking kidding me HTC). I also unlocked the bootloader, lets see whether HTC charges me or not.

Also, I managed to get the display to work(somewhat) after shaking the device a bit. But even after that the display wont work properly, I even have 2 short videos of the screen acting weird when i got it to work. Here they are - Video 1 Video 2

Sorry for the ****ty quality, got it on my iphone. This was after I shook the device and the display magically started working. Even with the display working you can see it is really weird, even unresponsive at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atrixx

Atrixx

Jul 25, 2009
Melbourne
So guys, there are a lot of places you can buy motherboards from, but they will charge you a lot more than what it's worth mainly because of the shortage within HTC.

I'm so sorry all of you are going through this, but i think we need to raise awareness of this issue. People are buying these phones without realizing there's a good chance they're going to have either bad WiFi antenna's or even a bad motherboard.

Send this to your friends, post it around, contact HTC.

Best of luck!

CAPSGUY

Jun 9, 2012
I am having this problem as well, as well as the WiFi antenna issue. The WiFi antenna somehow bent itself somehow, because after a while it was back to normal signal strength, so I didn't feel like sending the phone away for a month. But now with this screen issue it really is unusable, so it seems I don't have a choice anymore :(

EDIT

Here is a picture of an example of what happens:
http://i.imgur.com/ScIaM.jpg

And here are two 1 minute videos of what happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIY0_Hy2_mA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYXXvu11f3o

Last edited:

Hunt3r.j2

Jun 6, 2011
I am having this problem as well, as well as the WiFi antenna issue. The WiFi antenna somehow bent itself somehow, because after a while it was back to normal signal strength, so I didn't feel like sending the phone away for a month. But now with this screen issue it really is unusable, so it seems I don't have a choice anymore :(

EDIT

Heat damage.

Atrixx

Jul 25, 2009
Melbourne
I doubt it's heat damage, i hardly played games on mine and it had that problem. I think the most i played was Triple Town, and that was it.

Also, wouldn't it be a massive problem if it was heat damage? That means the tegra 3 processor can't handle stress, and given that the phone inherently has heating issues, this just draws the conclusion that the Tegra 3 is bad news?

Atrixx

Jul 25, 2009
Melbourne
From what I've heard, it's been linked directly to the flickering screen problem. Which could mean that the first batch of One X's have all faulty Soc's? I mean, it's not uncommon for there to be manufacturing difficulties for the first few batches, but this is just absurd.

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
From what I've heard, it's been linked directly to the flickering screen problem. Which could mean that the first batch of One X's have all faulty Soc's? I mean, it's not uncommon for there to be manufacturing difficulties for the first few batches, but this is just absurd.

Not all of the first batch flickered. Stop exaggerating.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A few users have reported a Blank Screen of Death, with myself included.

The problem being that the phone's display doesn't switch on when you wake up the device. At this time, Everything else will including the Digitizer and Capacitive buttons.

I have spoken with HTC service centers across Australia and NZ to come to the conclusion that this is a motherboard problem. The infamous flickering issue seems to be involved also, which ends up shorting out the video driver.
    The issue isn't just limited to the screen not displaying anything either, there's also the possibility that the back light will cut out, and sometimes leading to corruption on the display.

This isn't just with some devices either, it seems like anyone that has had the screen flickering issue are at risk of this.
    To give you an idea of how much it costs to fix this issue, I was quoted at $250 AUD for just the motherboard alone.
    The best part is, HTC may also deny your warranty for unlocking your bootloader, as they have with me.

I'll be posting more information as it develops.

EDIT 29/07/12 :: I'm going to request a transcript of my last conversation with HTC but until then, they're denying that this is a problem and saying that it's the user's fault. How? We use our phones to much, or inappropriately.
    It's becoming obvious that they're trying to avoid spending anymore money fixing these issues, and have decided just to move on and release a new One X model. (according to news sources.)

Also, Boobinator just posted a video of the One X's screen corrupting while it isn't stuck under the BSOD which you can see here and here

Just to recap.
    When the initial issues were found with screen flickering and corruption on the display, we were told it was a software issue.
    Many months later, I along with many of you are still experiencing it, even though it's not nearly as bad as it once was.
    Now there are growing reports that One X's are starting to lose their displays, and the poly-carbonate weakening and bending the antenna pins. (You can find more information here)

This is something you should all be aware about when purchasing this phone.

Best of luck!
    can you please explain the exact steps you took? i'm willing to do it!
    thanks in advance

Hi and1kar,

First of all I need to say that if you have no experience in working on electronics and mobile phones in particular, this should not be for you. The chance of completely destroying your phone is very much there, so please think before you act.

In the proces you'll need some tools to open the phone, a miniature Philips head screwdriver, a soldering iron that heats to at least 425 degrees C for silver soldering and that has a small type tip suitable for SMD soldering. Also an ESD protection bracelet etc. is recommended if you want to do a proper job.

For starters you need to check that your phone is still in working order and that only the LCD backlight is dead.
    So put in a charger and see that the red LED goes on. Also make sure the LCD itself is working. Boot the phone and wait a few minutes after which the phone should be in stand by mode. If you toggle the power switch on top of the phone you should be able to see the LCD picture appear and disappear. If you can't see anything happening on the screen use a small flashlight and place it on top of the glass pointed towards the screen. On the bottom of the screen the 'unlock ring' should be vissible when you toggle the power switch a few times.

Once you have determined that your LCD is still working you can power down the phone and open it. There are plenty of guides on youtube how this should be done. Just remember that the phone casing is quite flexible and that your LCD isn't...

When you have removed the phone cover remove the copper shielding sheet from the battery and mainboard.
    Then remove the antenna wire and disconnect the flex cables from the volume keys/mic/vibrator and the touchscreen from the mainboard.
    Now gently lift the battery up until it's free from the middle section (it's actually glued with double sided adhesive).
    Flip the battery over onto the mainboard.
    Now you see 3 flex cables.
    Take the top one out of the mainboard connector.
    Now remove the 5 philips screws that hold the mainboard.
    Then you can lift the mainboard a bit and remove the power switch connector and the battery connector.
    At last remove the 2 remaining connectors from the main board (the ones that go to the loudspeaker and softbutton lightning).
    The mainboard shoul be free now.

Turn the mainboard over to the front side so that you're facing the front camera.
    Remove the large metal shielding from the mainboard.
    That exposes the CPU and a lot of other components.
    Just left from the CPU you'll see a small black coil with 220 written on it.
    That's the part that needs to be replaced.
    Please don't bother using an Ohm meter to check if it conducts or not. It won't tell you if the coil is good or not.
    So, now you have to solder the old one out and put a new one in.
    As said in my previous post I took one out of an old Iphone 1st gen. but you can also check the net if someone is selling it.
    The original coil is made by TDK and has a value of 22uH (twenty-two micro Henry - 220 written on the coil) and is rated for 520mA.
    It has come to me that this particular TDK coil is out of production but ofcourse you can use any equivalent from another manufacturer.

Once you have replaced the coil close the metal shielding.
    Then you should just connect the power switch flex cable, LCD flex cable and the battery.
    Also connect your charger and try to power up the phone by pressing the power switch.
    With a bit of luck the backlight should start working.

I realise that I might have forgotten a few things here and there so just ask if you don't understand things.

Good luck,
    Marc
    Finally sent my HOX in at the Service Centre on 8/8/2012.

None of the technician / staff there knew what went wrong with the phone. I requested for any result of their internal review of the unit to be shared with me, so I know whether it was purely hardware issue, or was there something wrong with the way I handle the phone.

Unfortunately, the staff were giving me the 'ready-made' answer of "Owh, the phone will be shipped to Taiwan for testing, and then another phone will be shipped back to replace yours. Though the new phone will be imprinted with the same IMEI and Serial Number as your previous phone. Any findings will be reviewed by HTC only, thus no feedback to consumer". WTF?

I find it appalling that my supposed 1-to-1 exchange will be some 'phone' (God knows whether it's a new unit or a refurbished unit) that will be imprinted with my old phone's IMEI and S/Number. Sounds a bit illogical. Not a pretty picture, but will just have let them handle whatever red-tapes that they have to.

They told me I would have to wait for at least 3-5 days. I hope it will be quick. On a sidenote, can anyone shed some light on how data is stored in the HOX, is it via a solid hard drive or a fixed SD Card within the motherboard? Asked the HTC staff whether the memory unit could be pulled out from the phone and booted elsewhere for backup purposes, but they gave differing answers (so much for product training?)

Will update if there's any further news.
    Possible fix?

Hi, me too has had a similar problem. My One X with a black screen but all the rest seems to be functioning well.
    I checked the display with a small flashlight and saw that the display itself actually worked so it seemed to be a non functioning backlight.
    I found a possible solution on h**p://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f58/htc-one-x-strange-backlight-problem-1540929/ and tried it. I had to replace a 22uH (220) coil in the backlight PSU section. I found a similar coil in an old Iphone 1 like they suggested and replaced it. Problem solved and the phone now works perfectly again for more than a week :good:
    Be carefull though: you need good soldering skills and the right equipment to perform this fix.
    Good luck,
    Marc
    PS Sorry about the link, but I can't post links on XDA yet...

EDIT