Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 42,143 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

NEW FIX for screen separation issue! (tested & working by most members already)

Tip us?

dilldoe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Default NEW FIX for screen separation issue! (tested & working by most members already)

originally made this in the original screen fix thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=638

Quote:
Originally Posted by randroid123 View Post
... I'll probably just forget about it. I'm glad that this fix is working for everyone though and I definitely think it deserves it's own thread for those that don't feel like digging through 75 pages of potential fixes
Making this, detailed step-by-step, for those who don't want to dig thru that thread (Hopefully I'm not violating any rules. If so, Mods please replace my original post with this one)

ok I think I've discover the cause of the lift.
Got a replacement due to screen lift and guess what the new one had a slight lift on the lower left.

I figure must be a loose screw, it's not as bad as the old one where the whole left side bulged out.

So I open it and found all the screws to be snug. So I unscrewed the lower left, thinking it's too tight and that's where I discover the cause.

It's not that the screws are too loose, it's that there isn't enough space between the frame & the glass. So the tighter you screw it in, the further you're pushing the screen out, causing the lift.

Here's the simple solution I came up with.

You'll need the following:
Nexus 7 with back cover removed
Pill Blister Pack (Allergy pills from walmart shown)
Small screwdrivers
Scissors and/or knife
Sewing Needle (not pictured)

needle nose pliers OPTIONAL (for those with thick fingers)

First you need to make a hole in the blister for the screw to go thru.

Here I'm using a sewing machine like a drill press to create my hole.

Next, cut out a rectangle and use your small screwdriver (Bigger than the needle, but smaller than the screw)

This will make the hole bigger for the screw to fit. While blister is still on screwdriver, use your knife and run it around the excess plastic created by the screwdriver.

Remove the blister and trim the corners so that it'll fit in the round frame

Remove the screw from the frame and slide the blister in between the frame

Screw the screw back snug, DON'T OVER TORQUE IT!

Right away the screen lift is gone where the blister is installed. Repeat for each screw where the screen is lifting up.

Cut away the excess so you can put the cover back on

Don't cut it flush to the frame, leave a little so you can grab it and remove it if you need to.
OPTIONAL - use a flathead to push that little bit down to eliminate any chance of obstructing the back cover.

Snap the back cover back on and enjoy your flush screen.

depending on how much lift you have, you might have to use 2 or more to fill the gap. But beware, the more you add the thicker the frame will be and you might run into issues with the back cover not fitting snug.
The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to dilldoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neilrl79
Old
Thanks Meter 107

DONATE TO ME
Looks interesting, might give this a whirl later.

Joynted
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thumbs up ya!

After receiving my replacement today only to find out it had the same problem I tried this and so far so good! I hope it stays! Thank you for this!
The Following User Says Thank You to Joynted For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cwc3
Old
(Last edited by cwc3; 28th July 2012 at 02:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 407
Awesome job

Update: Failed. Spent Hour trying this. Keeps coming back just putting the case back on. Ill try again on Monday. Used same thickness plastic, then tried thinner, then tried IDE Floppy Cable (ASUS brand haha).

I am sending this back anyways. Here is my before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDIgiWFPgc

Tried it with 1 on top. 2 on top. 2 on bottom (Pictured below). All 4.

agtwonderbread
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I'll confirm this is still working 24 hours later and feels more solid than it did when I first took It out of the box. Thank you so much! I started the RMA process and received the links to order my replacement when I read they hold another $225 from your account until they receive the original back and determine I caused no damage. You saved me a lot of time/hassle/and money being held from me for at least 1-2 weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

acroanidd
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Yes thank you man, I tried it when you first posted it yesterday, I can vouch for the fix in this thread as i did the previous one, so happy that it is working for me and several others, it is well worth the 10-20 minutes to perform the fix.

_MetalHead_
Old
Thanks Meter 2000
I wish this would work on mine, but my problem is clearly related to a bad adhesive job. I'm almost tempted to re-glue it myself considering there is nothing else wrong with the thing but I'll give Google one more chance to send me a perfect one.
\m/(-_-)\m/

kieso
Old
Thanks Meter 90
How about a donation link? I'd like to buy you a beer or 2 for your fix.

TaintedByte
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 654
Wonderful job with the pictures man, they really helped. I can confirm that this works perfect for me too. I just did not but the tablet immediately feels better. No squishyness at all. With the previous fix (tightening the screws) the screen still felt squishy. Nothing now. It feels just as sturdy as the right hand side.

Sent from my Nexus 7

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏
Need help? First read the stickies, then search.

If someone helped you, click their thanks button!
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋

acroanidd
Old
(Last edited by acroanidd; 28th July 2012 at 12:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MetalHead_ View Post
I wish this would work on mine, but my problem is clearly related to a bad adhesive job. I'm almost tempted to re-glue it myself considering there is nothing else wrong with the thing but I'll give Google one more chance to send me a perfect one.
I initially thought mine may have been adhesive related.. but turns out after this fix, it really is not.

Edit: id highly suggest giving this a try, it isnt difficult, probably cannot be detected as "user modification" if you remove the makeshift washers. If you dont want to that's your call, but i think the problem is still fixable with this method.