5,814,633 Members 53,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will Ouya Have Android Launcher?

Tip us?

Ryan Stampton
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Question Will Ouya Have Android Launcher?

Hi everyone im thinking about buying an ouya but i wanted to know if you can acess the android launcher?

Thanks In advance!

okmijnlp
Old
Thanks Meter 342

DONATE TO ME
Probably not. But since it's hackable I'm sure it's possible one way or another.

Sent from my CM9 powered monster!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to okmijnlp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mistermentality
Old
Thanks Meter 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stampton View Post
Hi everyone im thinking about buying an ouya but i wanted to know if you can acess the android launcher?

Thanks In advance!
No they are using a modified version of ics with a completely customised front end as opposed to just a launcher that can be replaced.

However there will be modders who can make it access traditional android launcher and play store but no it won't officially and will only do so unofficially once people have had device to hack it.

Dave

( http://www.google.com/producer/editi...bigfatuniverse )

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to mistermentality For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sake40
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Yes it will

The odk has a launcher with framework. It is available on their website.

Chrizzly92
Old
Thanks Meter 216

DONATE TO ME
didn't they say its fully open source and rooted? im sure someone will bring different launchers to the console, maybe not a day after the release, but im pretty sure that will be possible. Now the question is, most of our launchers are touch-based, i can not imagine how you can use them with a gamepad.

NEEDHALPBECAUSEIAMNOGOOD
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Lol

Spiral_ouT
Old
(Last edited by Spiral_ouT; 5th February 2013 at 05:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizzly92 View Post
didn't they say its fully open source and rooted? im sure someone will bring different launchers to the console, maybe not a day after the release, but im pretty sure that will be possible. Now the question is, most of our launchers are touch-based, i can not imagine how you can use them with a gamepad.
Plug in a PS3 or Xbox controller to your Android device and you'll find out :P Most, if not all, launchers work with a controller. Hitting the navigation pad/stick moves from one icon to the next.

IBNobody
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizzly92 View Post
didn't they say its fully open source and rooted?
It's not fully open source.

http://www.ouya.tv/the-o-word/
Quote:
Please note that we’re still working on releasing the source code for various elements of the ODK — and since some of it is compiled object code, you won’t have access (at least not today) to every single line we’ve written. We want to be sure things are in really great shape before we release code. Also, we will be holding back some sections of the code to preserve the security of OUYA, especially when it comes to payments for developers and gamers.
It is fully rootable, but it doesn't come rooted.

Quote:
For hackers: root it. Go ahead. Your warranty is safe. Even the hardware is hackable. Want to get inside? You’ll need a standard screwdriver and nothing more. Go to town. We have standard USB ports and Bluetooth, so you’ll even be able to create your own peripherals.

dwegiel
Old
Thanks Meter 21
So it looks like it will be some heavily modified android UI, like the original kindle fire?

Prack
Old
Thanks Meter 196

DONATE TO ME
It's not locked down in any way so I'm pretty sure someone will code a custom launcher for it. May not be ADW or NOVA but I am sure someone will make one.
Samsung Galaxy SIII - Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 1
Asus Transformer Prime/Keyboard Dock - CROMBi-kk
Motorola Xoom - EOS 4.4.4
Motorola Moto 360 - Stock
Samsung Galaxy Gear - Null_23
Motorola MotoACTV - ClearDroid ACTV 1.2.0 T2
Motorola Droid - Unofficial CM 10
Motorola Droid X - Gummy v1.3.0
HTC Droid Incredible - Evervolv 4.0.0
LG Optimus V - Quattrimus CM 9
Ouya - Stock/Rooted
Google Chromecast
Raspberry Pi x3 - Raspbian(Mumble), Raspbmc(XBMC), Raspbian(phpBB/mysql)