[TOOL/GUIDE] Full NV Backup and Restore [SIMPLE] [08-03-2012]

Search This thread

Peoplearmy

Jun 3, 2007
Cedar Hill, TX
Although qpst does work to backup the majority of the NV, it is technically warez and using build 323 is a little archaic. "NV-Item reader writer.exe" is freeware and uses up-to-date Qualcomm protocols.

How is it archaic? The Qualcomm NV structure has not changed much in years and when reading the NV it does not skip any non-critical portions. I'm not saying that one method is better than the other I'm just saying don't make one out to be more significant than the other when both can be useful to everyone. It is better to provide everyone with a few options to fix their phones in case one option fails for them. As an open community that should be the mind frame we take to find solutions. =/

DX

Last edited:

tjb433

Mar 16, 2011
I'm on Diet ICS and get an error message when I try to dial the number. It says connection problem or invalid MMI number.

I had this at first and then realized i missed the * before the #, be sure to dial this exact number and it should work. Unless diet ics uses a modified dialer, which I'm unsure of.

*#7284#

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Spaceshiplll using xda premium

<:GeeK:>

Jul 14, 2011
www.UltimateFlasher.com
How is it archaic? The Qualcomm NV structure has not changed much in years and when reading the NV it does not skip any non-critical portions. I'm not saying that one method is better than the other I'm just saying don't make one out to be more significant than the other when both can be useful to everyone. It is better to provide everyone with a few options to fix their phones in case one option fails for them. As an open community that should be the mind frame we take to find solutions. =/

DX

One is more significant than the other for creating a full backup, qpst will not read ALL of the NV but cdmaws/NV-item rw will. But, I'm not trying to put down qpst at all. I use QPST, QXDM and CDMAWS every single day at work. Also, I moderate on another phone forum and we do not allow warez so I try not to post solutions with qpst or qxdm. I try to use demo versions of software or freeware. Some other good ones are revskills, dfs and cdmadevterm.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jp6060

evilmonkey1987

Nov 14, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
What drivers/software does the computer have to have installed in order to use this? I am on a freshly formatted computer (no kies, odin, or anything like that) and windows tells me that it can't find a driver for SAMSUNG_ANDROID_SGH-747M and CDC Serial. It found the driver for USB Composite Device. The NV tool is not seeing the COM device, I'm guessing because there's no driver.

Thanks for the amazing work!

Had to install Kies. All good after that. Thanks!

Reactions: <:GeeK:>

Jul 14, 2011
www.UltimateFlasher.com

rciomper

Jan 6, 2011
Austin
I watch video 3 times and follow exacly but have same message "Fail connect to phone" . I even try diffriend cable, usb port, and PC combination.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

I had a similar issue, you have to watch the video carefully. You need to click on the word "Port", not the Com box drop down for the first step.
Also, make sure you have the correct drivers installed.

Reactions: D4nyal

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
A backup is always worth a try if it means saving your phone from becoming just a paper weight. I can confirm however that the backup method I used will indeed return full functionality to your phone. Multiple people have confirmed that it worked and I have done it myself first hand to my own phone before releasing it as a fix.

Thanks Peoplearmy for the response.

What I am gathering is that your backup method will return full functionality, where Geeks method will restore the IMEI but not necessarily full data/connection. I unfortunately used just Geeks method and I am already on CM10.

I guess tonight I will return to stock and try a backup using your method and hope it's not too late :good:

Peoplearmy

Jun 3, 2007
Cedar Hill, TX

What I am gathering is that your backup method will return full functionality, where Geeks method will restore the IMEI but not necessarily full data/connection. I unfortunately used just Geeks method and I am already on CM10.

I guess tonight I will return to stock and try a backup using your method and hope it's not too late :good:

It is not confirmed if this method will restore it because we haven't tested it yet.

The method I used was confirmed by a few people as working, myself included but to say this method (NV reader/writer) will not work is not necessarily correct at this time since it does do an NV backup we've just never had anyone who had to restore the backup yet. My advice would be to have a backup using both methods (I have both).

DX

Reactions: rciomper

Jul 14, 2011
www.UltimateFlasher.com

If you made a full backup you should be good. A full backup with the instructions in the op will backup everything and more than qpst.
I have not posted about the data issue because I have not personally pin pointed it or had the opportunity to confirm a restore fixing it.

Dx9

Aug 5, 2011
Ottawa
Well I opened another line on my account. Got another S3 today. Rooted the phone no trip for Rogers. Loaded Kyan Rom and Faux123 kernel. I did a full backup with PeopleArmy method as well as Geeks tool but did a full backup with default values. I then went and flashed DietICS rom and pulled the battery battery like he did while flashing. Got IMEI 0 :) I did a restore with his method and returned full data and everything :). I then borked the imei again and did Geeks tool and also returned to full functionality. Great job guys.

wildcard30

Jan 5, 2012
Racine, WI
I have covered my bases and made backups using both methods as well as an entire clone of my phone. I hope I never have to use it I feel better knowing I have options though. Thanks for all the hard work guys.

Reactions: Peoplearmy

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
If you made a full backup you should be good. A full backup with the instructions in the op will backup everything and more than qpst.
I have not posted about the data issue because I have not personally pin pointed it or had the opportunity to confirm a restore fixing it.

I just followed the video and saved the 1 item. :-/. I followed the OP before the update :).

I will flash to stock tonight and do a full backup, albeit possibly too late, I suppose its worth the attempt.

Last edited:

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
I just made a full backup and the backup file is 3.1Kb. It shows "Complete items - 1306, items size 128". Does that seem right? I was expecting a bigger file, I guess.

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
i still have info : " Fail .. Phone does not answer" can't make any backup

evilmonkey1987

Nov 14, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Eww. No need to install of that Kies bloat just for the Galaxy S3 USB drivers. :)

Here's a link to just the drivers (23MB) from Samsung's site: Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.v1.4.6.0)

Thanks, I was going to upload those when I got to the shop. I'll add a link to the OP later.

Edit: that link appears to be dead, I'll upload later.

Here is a direct link for the v1.4.6.0 drivers: http://db.tt/J5Qgyler

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a simple and easy way to backup and restore your GS3's COMPLETE NV items which hold your IMEI, IMSI, Data settings and much more!

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Download NV reader/writer HERE and install THESE drivers.

2) Dial *#7284# and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "RMNET + DM + MODEM".

*If you are running a aosp rom (cm9,cm10,aokp etc) you can use the diag method described HERE

3) Create backup.

a) Click "port" in the top left and select your samsung serial port.
    b) Make sure BOTH boxes in the top bar are checked.
    c) Click "Connect" in the top bar.
    d) Click "Read" in the top bar.
    e) Click "Read" in the lower 'NV-items' section.
    f) Save the .txt file, this is your backup

*The process will take 5-10min. The file size will be roughly 3mb and "inactive item" and "bad parameter" sections are normal.
    *To restore click "Write" in the lower 'NV-items' section and navigate to your backup file.

4) Dial *#7284# and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "MTP + ADB".

Demonstration video HERE << Thanks to moonfire for the video.

IMEI ALREADY CORRUPT?

Use THIS custom built tool to easily generate a backup file with your properly formatted IMEI to restore your phone!

1) Enter your IMEI (find it behind your battery) in the text box up top, hit generate then hit save.

2) Use "NV-Item reader writer" to write the saved text file back to your phone and then reboot.

Capture-sgs3-imei-nv-gen.PNG

Me :p
    cdma-ware
    Peoplearmy
    GerardAnthony
    oriax123

Time and money have been invested into this project so donations are appreciated.

Donations: HERE

ATTENTION: I need a copy of someones full backup. Requirements are that you never flashed an AOSP rom (CM9, CM10, AOKP) and that your SGS3 is T-mobile. I need this to work on the data issue!
    Update: The data issue is still being worked on and some progress has been made but there is still not a solid easy fix. IF YOU MADE A BACKUP THEN GOT THE DATA BUG, PLEASE MAKE A SECOND BACKUP SO THAT I CAN COMPARE THE BEFORE/AFTER!
    Well I opened another line on my account. Got another S3 today. Rooted the phone no trip for Rogers. Loaded Kyan Rom and Faux123 kernel. I did a full backup with PeopleArmy method as well as Geeks tool but did a full backup with default values. I then went and flashed DietICS rom and pulled the battery battery like he did while flashing. Got IMEI 0 :) I did a restore with his method and returned full data and everything :). I then borked the imei again and did Geeks tool and also returned to full functionality. Great job guys.
    +1 could really use the generator if anyone has a link... op's seems to be down

Here is a link for the IMEI Generator

http://d-h.st/vVV

Updated app in my thread will do data restore and IMEI injection all in one in case you guys are interested :)

DX
    Here is a direct link for the v1.4.6.0 drivers: http://db.tt/J5Qgyler

So I can basically do the same thing the other thread is doing(Full Backup) using this method but leaving the default values?

RF NV Item Manager should not be used to make backups :/ It's primary purpose is to read/write to sections of the NV or to transfer parts of the NV from one phone to another.

Backups in QPST should be made in Software Download.

Newer builds of QPST has the RF NV Item Manager app in the bin folder however Qualcomm prefers that we use QXDM because of what RF NV Item Manager is capable of flashing to phones QXDM is only available to phone techs.

The backup made in QPST is verified complete and has been tested to restore a phone that has had it's IMEI borked whether the 323 build is older or not is irrelevant in that it can restore the phone to functional state.

I would recommend either method or even both because losing your IMEI will result in complete lost of your phone's functionality. I have a backup using both methods for my own safety because of what I do with my phone.

I am also doing some things in CDMA Workshop as well which might prove useful to us with the IMEI issue. Unfortunately CDMA Workshop comes with a price tag so it may not be an option for everyone. There is however a demo that can be downloaded as well as a bunch of other tools that can be useful. :)

DX