ICS 4.0 Sources Out - All discussions here!

Search This thread

lucasxas

Jul 30, 2012
posts like this are the reason why i started hating this thread.

every time i open this thread i read some post like this.

every. fu*king. time.

seriously, how is it even possible to miss it ???

Calm down guys. I am not obliged to follow all 300 pages.

Since there are other devices with Tegra 2 + ICS, the problem's with LG?

tonyp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2011
  • ZTE Mimosa and Grant X have ICS and are Tegra2? Can we use even when not LG??

• I found Tegra2 drivers!!!1111 It says linux but can we use yes?

• I found Tegra android development toolkits! Can we use??

• LG Canada said no ICS for us!!!!111

• Will Jellybean work?

• Can I have 4x lockscreen in every ROM?

• Why can't cows fly?

lucasxas

Jul 30, 2012

• Will Jellybean work?

• Why can't cows fly?

so hilarious!

luka2858

Jul 26, 2011

• Will Jellybean work?

• Why can't cows fly?

Maybe we could put eagles wings on it,they are both animals it should work. :D

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app

galaxyfitankit

Dec 26, 2011
gujarat
18001809999...this is lg roll free number I'm bugging then 3 times a day for ics ...kindly everyone bug then till they come with answer about ics....

crazy_dj

May 1, 2009
pretty much every tech blog or android site (here or here )have written an article about this , and they all wrote they'd contact LG and ask for an official statement. So I hope they'll give one and I will consider whether I save money for the Nexus 7 or a new Nexus Phone, because with official ICS Blobs we'd have a higher chance for CM10 than ever.

ensboarder

Feb 1, 2012
From LG Mexico:

Thank you for your preference!*
So far no news on updates ICS 4.0, additional information will be communicated through social networking.
To access them, enter through www.lg.com.mx page, found at the bottom icons to access these services.

Sörnäinen

You guys might want to see this regarding optimus 2x ICS update. http://www.talkandroid.com/124876-ice-cream-sandwhich-not-coming-to-lgs-optimus-2x/#more-124876

LG just said that they are not releasing it, not even giving a reason. This sucks.

I have been following this thread for only two days and already understand why so many people are so annoyed about posts like this - really, you didn't even bother to read one or two pages back!?

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk 2

TheStonedDog

Jul 29, 2012
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I agree trying to get info from LG is good but attacking only one or two sources is the not best answer especially when they have a scripted answers ready. Having this world wide community here should make it easy for people to hit their own LG local reps and come back which some members are already doing (thanks to those members!). The more ears and sources we have the faster we will get info when it comes out.

One of the problems is LG has the "don't say anything" mentality which creates an information vacuum that in this day and age of the interwebs get filled very quickly with rumors and gossip that offer little to no useful information. People have already posted links to blogs which are really just re-posting the same tweets with nothing new, just opinions posing as news. I was just on my deck enjoying the summer weather with a cappuccino firing up Pulse on my 2x to pick the latest Android news and atleast four the feeds are now posting this. Some of the tech bloggers just go into this spin cycle of speculation instead being like you know "real journalists" and trying to do some basic research on the topic before reporting. I fell like calling some of them out but I'm just a new member with a single post count so I have no credibility at this time and I doubt it would change much anyways.

My big concern and why I originally posted is this "news" is starting to get propagated all over the place by people not understanding the situation in Canada and why the answer from LG Canada is what it is. This may in the end can hurt us by causing people to stop putting pressure on LG. You already see it here where people post "I don't think were getting ICS. I give up." If we stop demanding then LG can turn around and say "We are not going to offer ICS because there is not enough consumer demand" thus we are screwed. This has to stop. How ?

While there seems to be a new petition started everyday as easily as you can click to sign an electronic petition LG can hit the delete button to ignore you so I would not waste my time with those although it is a nice thought on the member's part. Nearly the same situation with LG feeds. They can copy and paste answers. What is my opinion of one of the better ways to put pressure on LG ? Hit them in the pocket book.

One the of most expensive methods of end user support is the call center. When you call in a ticket is generated for your call. This ticket must be addressed some how even with a simple answer to close the ticket. This costs LG money. At regular intervals the tickets are evaluated for patterns to identify things like a possible software bugs that way the call center can notify the software people of the issue to eventually issue a fix. If enough calls come in asking for the 2x ICS update someone will take notice and escalate the issue to someone higher up. If even 10% of the people who have signed one of the petitions, I think one of the petitions is at around 3000 people so that is 300 people calling, that will make someone at LG notice and do something. So I would encourage people to call LG. Usually it is a toll free number and will only take a few minutes. At the very least you get the pleasure of knowing you are wasting some of LG's money. :)

I don't see North America being the first to get the update or even an update. That includes the U.S.. The carriers here are heavily pushing LTE. That is why the HTC One X is dual core for North America, they carriers want LTE. Since the 2X doesn't have LTE I don't think they care. This seems to be true for just about every none LTE phone not just LGs. I would suspect that the only LG phone that will get ICS will be the Optimus LTE. That is why we need to look at other places for an update like Asia, middle east, and Europe as they are not pushing LTE that much yet and would like to continue the life of non-LTE phones.

Hey I did see that nVidia released the drivers for linux, Android is linux so we can use those right ? ;)

wjr002

Jul 4, 2012
I emailed LG Australia last week and have received no response.

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

msedek

Apr 3, 2012
Santiago de chile
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I agree trying to get info from LG is good but attacking only one or two sources is the not best answer especially when they have a scripted answers ready. Having this world wide community here should make it easy for people to hit their own LG local reps and come back which some members are already doing (thanks to those members!). The more ears and sources we have the faster we will get info when it comes out.

One of the problems is LG has the "don't say anything" mentality which creates an information vacuum that in this day and age of the interwebs get filled very quickly with rumors and gossip that offer little to no useful information. People have already posted links to blogs which are really just re-posting the same tweets with nothing new, just opinions posing as news. I was just on my deck enjoying the summer weather with a cappuccino firing up Pulse on my 2x to pick the latest Android news and atleast four the feeds are now posting this. Some of the tech bloggers just go into this spin cycle of speculation instead being like you know "real journalists" and trying to do some basic research on the topic before reporting. I fell like calling some of them out but I'm just a new member with a single post count so I have no credibility at this time and I doubt it would change much anyways.

My big concern and why I originally posted is this "news" is starting to get propagated all over the place by people not understanding the situation in Canada and why the answer from LG Canada is what it is. This may in the end can hurt us by causing people to stop putting pressure on LG. You already see it here where people post "I don't think were getting ICS. I give up." If we stop demanding then LG can turn around and say "We are not going to offer ICS because there is not enough consumer demand" thus we are screwed. This has to stop. How ?

While there seems to be a new petition started everyday as easily as you can click to sign an electronic petition LG can hit the delete button to ignore you so I would not waste my time with those although it is a nice thought on the member's part. Nearly the same situation with LG feeds. They can copy and paste answers. What is my opinion of one of the better ways to put pressure on LG ? Hit them in the pocket book.

One the of most expensive methods of end user support is the call center. When you call in a ticket is generated for your call. This ticket must be addressed some how even with a simple answer to close the ticket. This costs LG money. At regular intervals the tickets are evaluated for patterns to identify things like a possible software bugs that way the call center can notify the software people of the issue to eventually issue a fix. If enough calls come in asking for the 2x ICS update someone will take notice and escalate the issue to someone higher up. If even 10% of the people who have signed one of the petitions, I think one of the petitions is at around 3000 people so that is 300 people calling, that will make someone at LG notice and do something. So I would encourage people to call LG. Usually it is a toll free number and will only take a few minutes. At the very least you get the pleasure of knowing you are wasting some of LG's money. :)

I don't see North America being the first to get the update or even an update. That includes the U.S.. The carriers here are heavily pushing LTE. That is why the HTC One X is dual core for North America, they carriers want LTE. Since the 2X doesn't have LTE I don't think they care. This seems to be true for just about every none LTE phone not just LGs. I would suspect that the only LG phone that will get ICS will be the Optimus LTE. That is why we need to look at other places for an update like Asia, middle east, and Europe as they are not pushing LTE that much yet and would like to continue the life of non-LTE phones.

Hey I did see that nVidia released the drivers for linux, Android is linux so we can use those right ? ;)

android its not Linux... It's java and the thing it's not blaming you for asking what had already been asked thousands of times but think about it.. you are just a costumer and you as me and most people here are very very limited in information regarding releases or what works and what doesn't for a device... so if you with limited sources know this do you think people who develops for the device and know infinite times more than you and me where to look for solutions wouldn't know about this release and if it works or not and beyond that implemented already?

Enviado desde mi GT-P7500 usando Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got a free wifi pass at my hotel so I thought let's do a quick read through xda.
    I read the 30 new pages in this thread as well, do you think I need psychological help? :D

Anyways, as someone else (mustangtim) wrote about it in the G2x section I can finally write it without some stupid hints here as well:
    Ricardo has a fully working P990 CM10 version (yes, with hwa). He got an earlier su660 ics dev leak directly from LG, even before leaks were on their server.
    The leak was a little different though, he was able to boot with the kernel.
    Long story short: jb runs great. He can't release it as he can't damage his good relationship to LG, I think you can understand that - so don't bug him about it.
    I'm just writing this to answer the people who have doubts.
    We will get cm10 as soon as the su660 kernel source drops. And it does run great on our hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    Hello everyone.

I have seen the tweets from LG Canada posted here and since then those tweets have propagated through out other web outlets but I think way too much has been made of the LG Canada ICS update statement. The OP either did not understand the context of the statement or just had a "I'm the first to get an official answer from someone at LG" moment and got a little excited posting the info. So I thought I would give some insight into the statement so people, particularly worldwide, can understand what is going on and why that statement came from LG Canada.

In Canada phones are sold through carriers. There are no companies that sell unbranded phones, well there are small shops that import phones but their sales are so small that they are not worth noting and they are almost considered grey market as they will not support the phones officially. Since there are no unbranded phones in Canada the carriers control the availability of a phone model which also means they control the updates to their branded model. If the carriers are not interested in supporting the phone it does not get any support period. There are Galaxy Nexus owners still on 4.0.1 when using carrier updates!

Now specifically to the Optimus 2x in Canada. The phone was not that popular and was really only picked up by carriers to use the "first dual core phone" LG marketing hype to make them look like they are cutting edge. From what I remember the phone was only picked up by three carriers. Two AWS carriers (which are small players) Mobilcity and Wind, and one major carrier Rogers which put it under their "budget" sub-brand Fido. Mobilicity dropped the phone quite awhile back so they are out of the picture. Wind has recently EOL the phone and they did not even bother with the GB update so they are out. That leaves Fido.

Fido did get the GB update but never shipped the devices with the GB update. I got my 2x in March and it still had Froyo on it. My guess is Fido had not reordered stock from LG since after the GB update so that is quite awhile ago. The only way to get the upgrade is if the customer does it themselves via LG tools. This should give you an indication of how many they are selling and how well they support the device. :rolleyes: While Fido still offers the 2x they recently dropped the price which usually means they are trying to get rid of their stock before they discontinue the device so they are 2/3 out. Carriers are not interested in spending time/money updating devices they are either not selling or about to stop selling. They want to sell new phones hopefully with new/renewed plans. Updating a phone could cost them a sale. This is not LG's behavior but the carriers.

When a phone is banded by a carrier usually the carrier sends the specs (boot animations, artwork, network configs, apps to included, etc.) to LG and LG preps a ROM build which is put on the phone at shipping for the carrier. Since all the phones in Canada are branded and none of the carriers are requesting an update LG Canada does not need to consult LG HQ about the standing of ICS for the 2x. My feeling is When the LG rep on Twitter was asked the question they looked up the status of the 2x with the carriers. The status probably mentioned that there is "no future orders" and no request for ROM updates. That made it safe for the LG Canada rep to say on Twitter that there will be no ICS updates for the Canadian 2x. The rep did not contact LG HQ about the ICS update. Basically the LG Canada's statement is not based on technical reasoning but market reasoning.

What these means for us Canadians is that we are out of luck for an official carrier branded ICS update. We can now add carriers to the nVidia / LG list of people to ***** about for the lack of an ICS update. Our only option is to go with an unofficial ROM but quite frankly the carrier ROMs suck. The ROMs created by the XDA community are far superior and I would have gone with an unofficial ICS build anyways. From what I understand as long as one country gets an ICS build the drives can be used to build general ROMs that Canadians can use. From observation the 2x is still popular in other areas. I think if there is an update the first will probably be Korea. I would say look there for more accurate information.

TL;DR version:

1. LG Canada does not control updates in Canada, the carriers do.

2. The carriers have either dropped or are in the process of dropping the 2x thus the carriers are not interested in updates.

3. LG Canada was able to safely give an official statement about the 2x Canada at this time based the carriers not wanting an update, not based on technical information from LG HQ.

4. LG Canada statement should not be viewed as an early indicator of LG's general position on the ICS update for the 2x. This is not a leak.

I hope that explains the situation better and how to read the meaning behind the LG Canada tweets. For people who have been using the LG Canada statement as "ZOMG this is the beginning of the end, EVERYONE PANIC!!! LG SUCKS!" fodder, and that includes you tech bloggers reading this, please stop and understand the situation. LG may still not deliver an ICS update but this is not the sign that it is not coming. Look else where.

Also people stop assaulting the LG Canada feed with questions about your country or LG world wide. I know that LG Canada seems to be the only one responding to questions but LG Canada can only speak for the situation in Canada which as outlined is somewhat unique. Bug your own country LG reps as that might yield more interesting information for everyone.

I will also mention that I think people are being really impatient with LG. Many companies are still in the process of updating their own devices from the same generation to ICS and last I heard only around 10% of devices have ICS or JB. I agree people should be pissed with LG because of LG's failure to live up to their promises (which BTW if they don't deliver could be grounds for a class action suit) but LG is not unique in anyway with their lateness of ICS updates. If anything I think LG trying to be the first one with a dual core, LG likes to be the first at things to keep up appearance i.e. dual core, 3D, LTE, etc., and in that rush probably either pressured nVidia to pump out a rushed chipset or nVidia offered them a first gen chipset to beat everyone. As such to make the commitment technical details probably were not completely sorted out thus we have a unpopular first gen chipset that most manufactures skipped over and nVidia doesn't want to waste much time on.

That being said I do believe that an ICS update will eventually come from LG but this is my last LG device.

Good first post ? ;)
    Once RC releases the initial cm10 in the github for p990, I would suggest all kangers/rom devs don't just use RCs stuffs before RC even releases cm10 officially for p990.

Don't repeat same mistake as per p970.

I don't represent all but this is my personal opinion.
    ICS Camera HAL for P990/SU660

this is a ICS camera HAL for P990/SU660.

based on Raviprasad V Mummidi for Qcom camera
    https://github.com/rapmv78/android_hardware_qcom_camerahal

tested on the SU660 (Optimus 2X model in Korea)

Please see also:
    - [Dev] ICS Camera Driver Development by zivan56 @ xda: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1379368
    - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20281617&postcount=17
    - https://github.com/Andromadus/android_hardware_qcom_camera

----
    It is needed to revert "MemoryHeapBase: Save and binderize the offset"
    commit f24c4cd0f204068a17f61f1c195ccf140c6c1d67
    It break binary compatibility of libbinder.so with CM7/GB.

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/f24c4cd0f204068a17f61f1c195ccf140c6c1d67

and some simple wrapper functions are needed (please see libui.patch included in the attached tarball)
    like as
    Code:
    extern "C" status_t _ZN7android7Overlay13dequeueBufferEPPv(void* buffer)
    {
        return NO_ERROR;
    }

camcoder(video encoding) does not work now :)
    I'm surprised there isn't a port of LG's SU660 ics stock rom.

There are, Kostja_V's and Harsh's rebuilds.

I got some time over the weekend.
    If arcee won't release CM10 I will play around with the Stock ROM.
    I already repacked (read: decluttered) the ROM to fit it into the stock system partition, I'd only need to compile a new kernel which uses the old bootloader and have to check the partition stuff.
    If it works as expected you won't have to use nvflash to change the partition layout anymore - a simple CM10 flash would be enough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app