Nexus 7 BAD screen flicker!

4th August 2012, 12:18 AM   |  #291  
Flag St. Petersburg, FL
Thanks Meter: 0

21 posts
More
Received my replacement Nexus 7 today and it looks perfect. The SSN is C70KBBC20----.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
4th August 2012, 01:39 AM   |  #292  

1 posts
My Nexus 7 also came with some screen flicker (brightness random fluctuation) at low brightness. However, I noticed that while I was fixing my other problem (left side screen lift), when I left the back cover off the device there didn't appear to be any screen flicker! I tested by using gMaps on 10% brightness with WiFi on.

If anybody else who has the screen flicker problem would also try this method and report their results, it might help to isolate where the problem is or maybe even contribute to finding a fix.
4th August 2012, 01:51 AM   |  #293  
Thanks Meter: 270

1,154 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimunium

My Nexus 7 also came with some screen flicker (brightness random fluctuation) at low brightness. However, I noticed that while I was fixing my other problem (left side screen lift), when I left the back cover off the device there didn't appear to be any screen flicker! I tested by using gMaps on 10% brightness with WiFi on.

If anybody else who has the screen flicker problem would also try this method and report their results, it might help to isolate where the problem is or maybe even contribute to finding a fix.

I reported this previously that removing the cover makes the screen flicker go away. I returned the affected unit, one out of three, so I can't try it but you can try putting electrical tape over both WIFI contacts on the inside cover and put the cover back on to see. If the screen flicker is still gone you can take it one step further and cover just one of the WIFI contacts. If still gone and you're daring, cut out a small strip down the center of the WIFI antenna tape on the cover as perhaps there's a shorting issue.
4th August 2012, 02:48 AM   |  #294  
Thanks Meter: 4

73 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhltechie

BUT! if they have indeed fixed the issue, they have done so by screwing with the wifi. The new one I received loses its wifi signal in my home where the last one worked perfectly fine. Other devices work perfectly fine.

My theory a while back was they could do a workaround by modifying the ROM to lower the power level output by the wifi chip...would cut range and/or speed but the flicker would be gone...
4th August 2012, 03:40 AM   |  #295  

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi7chy

I reported this previously that removing the cover makes the screen flicker go away. I returned the affected unit, one out of three, so I can't try it but you can try putting electrical tape over both WIFI contacts on the inside cover and put the cover back on to see. If the screen flicker is still gone you can take it one step further and cover just one of the WIFI contacts. If still gone and you're daring, cut out a small strip down the center of the WIFI antenna tape on the cover as perhaps there's a shorting issue.

I decided I might as well try this advice and after about 20 minutes of testing this seems to work for me. Took some electrical tape and covered the bottom WIFI contact on the back cover and while I've taken a little hit in signal strength it seems my flicker is gone or drastically reduced.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
4th August 2012, 03:58 AM   |  #296  

1,154 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlic

I decided I might as well try this advice and after about 20 minutes of testing this seems to work for me. Took some electrical tape and covered the bottom WIFI contact on the back cover and while I've taken a little hit in signal strength it seems my flicker is gone or drastically reduced.

Good job. I had done this test on the GPS contacts which made no difference but forgot to do it for the WIFI contacts before returning it. If you alternate covering just one of the WIFI contacts at a time and the screen flicker doesn't occur then there's a good chance that breaking the loop by cutting out a thin strip with an exacto knife down the center of the antenna tape will fix the issue while retaining the signal strength. Don't cut it too wide as you can further experiment with closing the loop by soldering a tiny surface mount resistor with enough resistance to hopefully mask the short/flicker or zero value resistor to restore to original state. Good luck but you're on to something.
4th August 2012, 01:50 PM   |  #297  

15 posts
Ordered a replacement today due to this issue. Also, left side of the screen started raising a bit as if it was not glued properly. Funny thing is that the guy @Google support knew only of the raised screen issue, says he never heard about the flicker (and started attributing that to the raised left side). Serial is C70KBC0.... not sure if the new one will have any of the issues resolved. I also played around with developers options, to see if that would somehow reduce the flicker but no luck really.

Will give an update for the new one when it gets here.

4th August 2012, 02:06 PM   |  #298  
Thanks Meter: 4

49 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by webad_13

Ordered a replacement today due to this issue. Also, left side of the screen started raising a bit as if it was not glued properly. Funny thing is that the guy @Google support knew only of the raised screen issue, says he never heard about the flicker (and started attributing that to the raised left side). Serial is C70KBC0.... not sure if the new one will have any of the issues resolved. I also played around with developers options, to see if that would somehow reduce the flicker but no luck really.

Will give an update for the new one when it gets here.

When I returned mine last week, the guy didn't know if the flicker was covered by the warranty. He had to go ask his boss, lol. On a brighter note, my new n7 doesn't have any issues

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
4th August 2012, 02:09 PM   |  #299  

15 posts
Lol, and what is the starting serial number of the new one? Seems that some people reported C70KCC to work without this issue.

4th August 2012, 05:12 PM   |  #300  

1,154 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webad_13

Lol, and what is the starting serial number of the new one? Seems that some people reported C70KCC to work without this issue.

Getting one of the new SSN's from a shipment that arrived this week doesn't guarantee a perfect unit. When I bought my 3rd unit SSN C70KBC168xx had flicker while C70KBC163xx was fine.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread