Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,971 Members 43,603 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] ClipSync: easiest way to copy paste text between devices.

Tip us?

pwkip
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] ClipSync: easiest way to copy paste text between devices.

I noticed there are some questions on this forum that relate to copying text between phones and PC's.

I'm an independent developer and have written a free app that does just that. It runs as a service on both windows and android. It works over LAN. And it allows you to do 2 things:

1. You can copy text from android to your PC by simply copying some text in android (Long press -> copy) and then pasting it in Windows (CTRL+V or right click -> paste)

2. You can copy text from PC to android by simply copying some text in Windows (CTRL+C or right click -> copy) and then pasting it in Android (long press -> paste)

It's really that simple. Here's a quick demonstration of me showing you how it works:

Wondering why you would need this?

Have you ever wanted to copy paste a URL from your android device to your PC to look at it on a bigger screen? Ever wanted to send a text message by typing it on your PC? Ever looked up a route description on your computer and realize you had to type in the exact same address in your GPS client? Did you ever e-mail yourself because you needed some text on another device?

No? Well then you probably don't need it at all. Sorry to have wasted your time

If you do think the app is useful you can get it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....bdwm.clipsync
The Windows server is available at http://bdwm.be/cs

Hope you like it.

- Jules
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to pwkip For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HISOON
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Like what I'm searching for a long a long time

Thank you so so much
The Following User Says Thank You to HISOON For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Northernmost
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default Mutiple network addresses

Works a treat! Very simple to set up and use.

One wee problem I encountered though: where I'm at just now my PC has multiple network connections open: LAN and VPN. When the ClipSync server started up it was listening to the VPN address which ison an entirely different subnet to the LAN connection. So my Nexus, which was connected on the LAN subnet, couldn't find the server. When I disabled the VPN connection the server switched over automagically to listen on the LAN address and was found straight away by the Android app. A way to specify which IP address the server listens on would be great in this instance.

Another concern is using this in a multi-android environment e.g. at work the standard issue phone is a Galaxy Nexus so there's quite a few conected to the LAN at any one time. What's to stop someone installing the app and connecting to another users ClipSync server and getting / setting the contents of their clipboard? I'm being picky I know, but it's something I had to work around when writing a webOS app many moons ago that would use mDNS to broadcast stuff across a network. Setting a PIN on each client and using that to encrypt / decrypt broadcasts was where I ended up for that FWIW.

Also, if the server restarts, clients don't reconnect until you go into the app and manually reconnect.

I've just tried copying something on my Nexus 7 and it synced, not only to the server, but to my GNex as well Shutting down the server, unsurprisingly, stopped that particular magic from happening *sadpanda*. A feature request would most certainly be to allow clients to sync with each other without the need for a server to be running at all. You hate me, I know I've no idea what the mDNS capabilities of Android are but that would be one way of doing it.

All that said, this is a fantastic start to something extremely useful! So thank you very much for making the magic happen and apologies for the rather rambling post
The Following User Says Thank You to Northernmost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pwkip
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
Northernmost, thank you for this post. Seems like you have really thoroughly tested the app. I really appreciate that. I'm aware of most of the issues you mentioned and I have just moved them up in my TODO list. Will be working on it this weekend and next week.

One thing I wasn't aware of yet was the problem that your PC can indeed have multiple IP-addresses.
This will be solved in the next version of ClipSync Server. Thanks again for your great feedback and your support

Northernmost
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I wouldn't say I've thoroughly tested it... but I have been playing with it some more. Namely, I've been aiming at having the server program running on my home server (with a static IP so it's easy to find) and the clients connecting to it. Then having assorted desktops and servers sync their clipboards to the ClipSync server. The aim is to have all my devices keeping their clipboards in sync.

After forwarding the right port I could connect and sync clipboards between Android devices over any net connection rather than just a LAN one But the connection gets lost quite often (which is probably down to connectivity issues rather than the app itself) and you have to reconnect each device manually... which will get old real quick. Again, not the fault of ClipSync!
Then, using a program called Copycat to sync clipboards between various PCs (including the master ClipSync server) you end up with everything sharing the same clipboard automatically! Huzzah. Or that's what should be happening... but it looks like Copycat can get itself in a muddle and play clipboard changing loop-de-loop. There's a few other network clipboard syncing programs out there to try yet so hopefully I'll get that all ticking along nicely. Anyway, I'm rambling (again) but looking forward to where this all goes!

Whitecookie
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Thumbs up GREAT!!!

Just some days ago, i thought, that it would be a great feature, if i could copy and paste between my PC and my Phone.

Sooks
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Brilliant!

slugger7
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkip View Post
I noticed there are some questions on this forum that relate to copying text between phones and PC's.

I'm an independent developer and have written a free app that does just that. It runs as a service on both windows and android. It works over LAN. And it allows you to do 2 things:

1. You can copy text from android to your PC by simply copying some text in android (Long press -> copy) and then pasting it in Windows (CTRL+V or right click -> paste)

2. You can copy text from PC to android by simply copying some text in Windows (CTRL+C or right click -> copy) and then pasting it in Android (long press -> paste)

It's really that simple. Here's a quick demonstration of me showing you how it works:

Wondering why you would need this?

Have you ever wanted to copy paste a URL from your android device to your PC to look at it on a bigger screen? Ever wanted to send a text message by typing it on your PC? Ever looked up a route description on your computer and realize you had to type in the exact same address in your GPS client? Did you ever e-mail yourself because you needed some text on another device?

No? Well then you probably don't need it at all. Sorry to have wasted your time

If you do think the app is useful you can get it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....bdwm.clipsync
The Windows server is available at http://bdwm.be/cs

Hope you like it.

- Jules
I Used evernot to create a note to send it to my computers web browser this should make life soo much easier

MODEL: HTC Desire S
ROM: Project X Smooth & working camera
RECOVERY: 4EXT Recovery Touch
KERNEL: Tweaked 6.0 [3.0.42] WiFi tether fixed
UNLOCKED: HTCDev
ROOTED SuperOneClick
HBOOT: 2.00.0002 S-ON
RADIO: 3822.10.08.04_4
Check out my facebook page for usefull windows applications

Jackos
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 449
Hello,

I'd like to report a problem.

On my Win8 Enterprise RTM OS the desktop application crashes as soon as I connect.

If you need more information or debug data, I'd be glad to provide you as much as I'd be able to collect.
Read my reviews and editorials at ION!
"From my experience - it looks like the most popular ROMs have the worst memory management " - ultrashot

Primary: Sony Xperia Z2 D6503

Sold: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, HTC Sensation Z710e, HTC Touch Pro2 T7373 (Sold to Skrobel)

Haswell RIG: MSI Z87 MPOWER; Intel Core i7-4770K; Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz CL11 16GB; 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX w/ backplate SLI; Intel SSD 530 180GB; 2x WDC Black 3TB RAID0; 3x WDC Black 1TB RAID5; CHIEFTEC BPS-750C2; Fractal Design Define R3 w/ USB3; Logitech Performance Mouse MX + Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800; Samsung PX2370; Windows 8.1 RTM Genuine

soulaiman
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Hey well done. This is a simple and handy app that should have been integrated in Android frol the begining. Of you can patent the technology vecause I'm sure Apple will include this feature in a future release of iOS and call it revolutionary

Microsoft should at least have done this in Wubdows Phone since it runs on the same kernel.

Btw mooi dat iemand van Gent in het nieuws komt haha !