Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,856 Members 46,649 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

!General warning regarding latest 2.3.5 OTA!

Tip us?

Lokifish Marz
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3258

DONATE TO ME
Exclamation !General warning regarding latest 2.3.5 OTA!

Update at your own risk. If it bricks, go to the local Sprint Store and have them replace your phone.
If the OTA bricks your phone, there is no reasonable fix. You cannot SBF to a previous version.

I haven't been on much for medical reasons but I think a general "Update at your own risk" warning should go out on this latest OTA. I've received a number of calls from the local Sprint service centers regarding bricked Photons from this latest update asking me if there was any way to fix it. With the high number of bricks and no resonable way fix it, in my opinion, this makes the latest OTA very bad news.
Ubuntop- U4A/Webtop hybrid for all Tegra2 Motorola phones (Fully integrated Ubuntu Desktop)
Live ROM (One "ROM" over 12 phones) (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world and as base by many devs)
Imperium Initiative Photon (used as base by many Photon devs)
Imperium Initiative LS970 (used as base by many LS970 devs)
Imperium Agent LS970 (LS970 version of Live ROM)
Evo Desktop PC (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world)
(Nexus Q)uantum Singularity Project (Media Center, File Server, Website Server, LinuxonAndroid in little black ball of joy)
Umeox x201 EnSec Enhanced Security Patch and Live ROM Installer (used by multiple devs world wide on over 6 different models/versions of x201's)
Every Android device I've owned since the Hero- Media Center, File Server, Website Server
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Lokifish Marz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JohnH4
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Given that there is no reasonable fix, I would add that I would not even consider this OTA update if my phone was out of warranty or if I wasn't the original buyer, which amounts to the same thing.

cornelious2
Old
Thanks Meter 161

DONATE TO ME
I had the same issue try running the motimizer app it fixed a lot of that for me. Also messing with the LCD density can cause the compatibility issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

halfdriven
Old
Thanks Meter 23
BOTA should not brick a device, worst case you hard reset. What are the issues you were called about?

Lokifish Marz
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3258

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfdriven View Post
BOTA should not brick a device, worst case you hard reset. What are the issues you were called about?
Boot failure (varied) / starting RSD.
Ubuntop- U4A/Webtop hybrid for all Tegra2 Motorola phones (Fully integrated Ubuntu Desktop)
Live ROM (One "ROM" over 12 phones) (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world and as base by many devs)
Imperium Initiative Photon (used as base by many Photon devs)
Imperium Initiative LS970 (used as base by many LS970 devs)
Imperium Agent LS970 (LS970 version of Live ROM)
Evo Desktop PC (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world)
(Nexus Q)uantum Singularity Project (Media Center, File Server, Website Server, LinuxonAndroid in little black ball of joy)
Umeox x201 EnSec Enhanced Security Patch and Live ROM Installer (used by multiple devs world wide on over 6 different models/versions of x201's)
Every Android device I've owned since the Hero- Media Center, File Server, Website Server

LexLuger82
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz View Post
Update at your own risk. If it bricks, go to the local Sprint Store and have them replace your phone.
If the OTA bricks your phone, there is no reasonable fix. You cannot SBF to a previous version.

I haven't been on much for medical reasons but I think a general "Update at your own risk" warning should go out on this latest OTA. I've received a number of calls from the local Sprint service centers regarding bricked Photons from this latest update asking me if there was any way to fix it. With the high number of bricks and no resonable way fix it, in my opinion, this makes the latest OTA very bad news.
You work for sprint?

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

willyum
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i recently flashed a wrong rom and bricked the mopho, but luckily i had warranty. they fixed my phone and shipped it back to me in a weeks time. i didnt get a chance to burn/break the boot loaders hardware security?, so looks like i am screwed for future flashing for now. btw i had the recent update when i bricked it, it took me a week of reading before i figured its gone.