9th August 2012, 04:45 PM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Flag inside
Thanks Meter: 104

814 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Geek

Will check them both out, I appreciate that clarification.

You understand you already have splashtop 1, right? In asus mycloud. Really I've never heard of anyone being quite so generous with actually useful extra software as asus.

Quote:

Can someone highlight the major differences between this version and the THD version?

Quote:

THD is optimized for Tegra devices. Really, the only major difference is that it runs better graphics wise. There's a video out there where someone is playing Skyrim on their tablet.

There are also UI changes, improved security, and supposedly, better optimization (less bandwidth used). My guess is the gulf will widen as splashtop 2 matures. There's zero reason not to go ahead and grab this on your account for free while you still can. Easiest decision ever.
10th August 2012, 12:29 PM   |  #12  
Flag Gold Coast
Thanks Meter: 13

72 posts
More
Just want to add that this was in the support section of the splashtop site:

Why does Splashtop 2 have a Subscription Model?

We are maintaining a global relay server infrastructure to support Splashtop 2 users. We have related on-going costs to support the reliability, security, and high performance of Splashtop 2 over the Internet and 3G networks. Your support allows us to continue to invest in and deliver best-in-class products for our users.

Makes sense.

But it's still annoying the existing Splashtop iPad users get it permanently.
Last edited by Cousie G; 10th August 2012 at 12:36 PM.
10th August 2012, 02:48 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 308

877 posts
Donate to Me
More
I sent a ticket to Splashtop about the issue. I did get the 1 year free but I am still going to fight tooth and nail to get the perma because it is completely unfair.
Last edited by Skullmonkey; 10th August 2012 at 02:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skullmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th August 2012, 07:15 PM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member
Flag inside

814 posts
More
I tried out version 2 yesterday, and one nice thing I noticed was that the desktop mouse actually followed the tablet mouse around, making mouseovers and other things easier. I seem to recall in splashtop one (asus mycloud) you had to tap somewhere to get the cursor in place. I didn't exactly do a back to back comparison, but I felt like it was sharper and less jerky as well, possibly due to more optimization.
11th August 2012, 02:45 AM   |  #15  
Flag Glendale Heights
Thanks Meter: 207

1,067 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunz

I tried out version 2 yesterday, and one nice thing I noticed was that the desktop mouse actually followed the tablet mouse around, making mouseovers and other things easier. I seem to recall in splashtop one (asus mycloud) you had to tap somewhere to get the cursor in place. I didn't exactly do a back to back comparison, but I felt like it was sharper and less jerky as well, possibly due to more optimization.

That also worked on splashtop hd that comes with the tablet and splashtop thd :P

Oh and to everyone I'm working on a VPN solution to be able to use it anywhere ;D

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app
12th August 2012, 05:17 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Quote:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....remote.pad.v2

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08...-limited-time/

I'm not totally sure how many features listed in the press release (located at the android police link above) are actually new over the splashtop we have in Asus cloud. It does appear to have a new interface and different security methods. One thing I'd love to have is a virtual second monitor, but I don't see that listed as an option.

It also appears to have lost the free google chat api IP location feature in favor of splashtop access anywhere subscription fee. But I never used that feature anyway.

Awesome find!!! I am actually using splashtop right now to post this with my tablet through my desktop
12th August 2012, 06:12 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 963

3,420 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandry

Awesome find!!! I am actually using splashtop right now to post this with my tablet through my desktop

For what it's worth, SplashTop HD V1 (which comes with the TF700) actually has more features than version 2! Internet discovery is free in V1, but they charge a monthly fee for the same thing in V2! I actually paid for the HD version of Splashtop V1 - and now they want me to update to a "subscription" model? I don't think so! App upgrades should be free and not take away features.

So, if you need the ability to connect to a PC via the internet, stick with the version that came with your Transformer....

What's really messed up is that existing iPad users get Internet Discovery for free (for life) because of a "glitch" in the way the Splashtop authors wrote the app (or some BS like that)!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by jtrosky; 12th August 2012 at 06:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th August 2012, 07:06 PM   |  #18  
OP Senior Member
Flag inside

814 posts
More
After the backlash they've gotten after they did release the app for free, they probably will start hating android users as they've been accused of in the reviews. iOS users have paid way more for their software overall than we have, we have way more freebies. But the one time they get a better deal, our side throws the world's biggest tantrum and makes devs everywhere wonder once again why they'd want to commit too many resources to android development. This is why we have a larger install base, but they still have better apps. Get a grip.
12th August 2012, 09:45 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 963

3,420 posts
Quote:

After the backlash they've gotten after they did release the app for free, they probably will start hating android users as they've been accused of in the reviews. iOS users have paid way more for their software overall than we have, we have way more freebies. But the one time they get a better deal, our side throws the world's biggest tantrum and makes devs everywhere wonder once again why they'd want to commit too many resources to android development. This is why we have a larger install base, but they still have better apps. Get a grip.

The bigger problem is that I actually PAID for the HD version of Splashtop V1 and they said upgrades would be free (just like any other Android app). Now that they've come out with "Version 2" (and made it "free"), if I were to "upgrade", I just wouldn't have the same functionality that I originally paid for!

So when I asked about this, they said that version 2 wasn't really an "upgrade", but an entirely different product - so then why is it called "Version 2"??? The problem is that while version 1 is still usable, I'm sure they are not going to continue to update it, so in effect, I'm left with a "dead" product and would have to pay *again* (via the subscription fees) for features that I already paid for to stay with the current product.

It's bad business and obviously others aren't happy about it either (regardless of Apple "free upgrades" for life BS). All that they had to to was to continue to provide BOTH methods of connection over the internet in "Version 2" - they I could stay continue to do what I've always done and stayed on a current version of the software.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
12th August 2012, 10:12 PM   |  #20  
OP Senior Member
Flag inside

814 posts
More
I don't agree with you anymore than I did before, but I do regret the "get a grip" (which is more appropriate explicitly directed at play store reviewers who have gone overboard) remark. It was unnecessary, mea culpa.

Major version upgrades always screw someone -- the person who buys win7 right before win8 debuts (although in that specific case -- maybe they dodged a bullet ), or a gingerbread device just old enough to not get further upgrades, or Black Ops 1 just before Black Ops 2 gets a released date. I've been that person, and it sucks. But you do still have what you paid for in this case, and then some. Sales screw people too -- the ones who bought a little too early or a little too late. You can't please everyone. Given that support for the older version has either ended or will taper off, it isn't the best deal you've ever gotten, but then sometimes you get a lot more support for a lot longer than you expect, and it all comes out in the wash. This case is certainly no cause to declare splashtop some sort of lying, cheating, thieving enemy of freedom and democracy.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread