google talk video chat not on wifi

Search This thread

natetrim

Oct 19, 2007
I've had my S3 for about 3 weeks now. A couple of days ago I stopped being able to do google talk video calls on the ATT network. It says I must be connected to wifi. Anybody else have this problem? It worked for 2 weeks then it stopped.

TheChefSLC

Oct 16, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Video over gsm has been disabled on the device. If you are rooted, you can make a simple database edit to allow video over 3g. If you have already done the edit 2 weekes ago, its possible that there may have been an update and causing you to have to redo the change

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Reactions: natetrim

PMDColeslaw

Dec 3, 2008
Memphis
Video over gsm has been disabled on the device. If you are rooted, you can make a simple database edit to allow video over 3g. If you have already done the edit 2 weekes ago, its possible that there may have been an update and causing you to have to redo the change

Can you link me to the database edit please?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

natetrim

Oct 19, 2007
Thanks all. I'll work on rooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

natetrim

Oct 19, 2007
So, no dice. I rooted and installed that app. When I run it, it asks for root, then kicks out the message: database error unable to access database is video chat enabled talk installed. I must be missing something.

Andrew149

Jul 17, 2010
Modesto CA
So, no dice. I rooted and installed that app. When I run it, it asks for root, then kicks out the message: database error unable to access database is video chat enabled talk installed. I must be missing something.

Here, you go, i just did it and it works perfect!

1. Download SQLight editor from the market
2. If you don't have a good file manager also get Root Explorer from the market.
3. After both are installed - use Root Explorer to browse to /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db and click on it
4. Now click on "main"
5. Scroll down to gtalk_vc_wifi_only - highlight and hold
6. Press "Edit Record" and change the "value" to false instead of true

natetrim

Oct 19, 2007
Sweet, thanks! Changed it false, rebooted, and I'm good to go. Thank you!

2. If you don't have a good file manager also get Root Explorer from the market.
3. After both are installed - use Root Explorer to browse to /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db and click on it
4. Now click on "main"

uzii305

Jul 14, 2012
Question... when u say Google talk video chat.... u mean Google+ hangouts? If not.. how do u use this Google talk video chat??

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

paleman27

Dec 29, 2010
San Juan

4. Now click on "main"

I did the procedure. Now I'm not getting the error when I select the Gtalk Enabler, then I reboot, go to talk, press video chat icon with whomever I want to video chat, it starts ringing a couple (2) of times (before I used to get the wi fi message), then it cuts out and it displays on the recepients box the following message: "Sorry! The video chat with Anglo (that's me) failed because of a problem with our servers at 11:15 AM. Please wait a bit and try again."
However, if I use Vtok this error doesn't happen.

Any help will help appreciated.

cc999

Aug 4, 2011
Tango

I did the procedure. Now I'm not getting the error when I select the Gtalk Enabler, then I reboot, go to talk, press video chat icon with whomever I want to video chat, it starts ringing a couple (2) of times (before I used to get the wi fi message), then it cuts out and it displays on the recepients box the following message: "Sorry! The video chat with Anglo (that's me) failed because of a problem with our servers at 11:15 AM. Please wait a bit and try again."
However, if I use Vtok this error doesn't happen.

Any help will help appreciated.

Just get TANGO from the App store, works pefectly....

CC

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta

I'm having the same problem. I made the database fix, which now lets me attempt a video call without getting the wi-fi only message. But when the other side tries to answer the call, I get disconnected and they get an error saying that GTalk servers have an error.

Has anybody else gotten video chat to work on the SG3? If so, what other step do I need to take? And I don't really want to load another app to do what this one is supposed to do.

radeonddr

Jun 4, 2010
I to was wondering I used talk video before but now i dont have a mic or video camera beside any of my contacts..Wierd

gregt0410

Dec 12, 2012
New York
Was working

My Google Talk video was working then I tried it today and go the WiFi message again. I went into the db using ashell and the gtalk_vc_wifi_only is no longer there. I have been searching but can't seem to find it.

cjkpkg

May 25, 2011

4. Now click on "main"

Just did this on my SGSIII and worked perfectly...Thanks!

The Gtalk Enabler worked while I was on CM10 but the bluetooth worked horribly so I went back to the stock JB rooted. I tested after I made the change and will uninstall the enabler now.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndroidLonghorn

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta

4. Now click on "main"

I looked at this database, and I don't see "gtalk_vc_wifi_only" in that database. If the key is not there, do I need to add it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4. Now click on "main"

Can you link me to the database edit please?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

There is an app on Play store for Root that allows this. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.innodroid.gtalkenabler&hl=en

4. Now click on "main"

Just did this on my SGSIII and worked perfectly...Thanks!

The Gtalk Enabler worked while I was on CM10 but the bluetooth worked horribly so I went back to the stock JB rooted. I tested after I made the change and will uninstall the enabler now.
    I performed the database edit mapped out by Andrew149 and all went well but, I noticed value reverted to "true" after a few days. I haved redone the mod several times and now it reverts within 24 hours. Apparently AT&T systems can detect and undo this change.

In case anyone is still having this problem, I found that copying that entry from "main" to "overriides" and then changing it to false, will keep functionality. The entry in main will revert to true, but the one in overrides will stay set to false and will take precedent.