Slow Charging

Search This thread

Darkfibre50

Jun 17, 2009
I am travelling at the moment overseas (for work). At home my 10.1 usually charges every night in a docking station. I bought a spare lead and my trusty multi pined (world Wide) USB charger that I use for my phone etc when I travel. When I plug the Pad into the charger it only charges at about 5% per hour so from dead flat it takes a whole day. At home its recharged in a few hours. What gives?? The charger is plenty big enough and doesn't even get warm. I tried a different charger (Not a Samsung Charger) and I get the same charge rate. Any body know if there is something special about the charger and if so how can I get around this problem in the short term.

Next time Ill just bring the Samsung charger

DanielNTX

Aug 18, 2010
Austin, Texas
I am travelling at the moment overseas (for work). At home my 10.1 usually charges every night in a docking station. I bought a spare lead and my trusty multi pined (world Wide) USB charger that I use for my phone etc when I travel. When I plug the Pad into the charger it only charges at about 5% per hour so from dead flat it takes a whole day. At home its recharged in a few hours. What gives?? The charger is plenty big enough and doesn't even get warm. I tried a different charger (Not a Samsung Charger) and I get the same charge rate. Any body know if there is something special about the charger and if so how can I get around this problem in the short term.

You need a 2 amp charger. Most normal USB chargers are only 0.5 amps.

Localhorst86

Jul 5, 2011
Germany
DanielNTX is right. Our toy has a 7000mAh Battery. The normal charger provides us with 2A per hour which - by using maths - makes the tab charge from 0-100 in about 3.5 hours (slightly more as you have to calculate efficiency loss and also the tab uses power during that time (Wifi, 3G, whatever's turned on)

Phone chargers usualy only deliver 500mA (or 0.5A) per hour, some more (The Blackberry charger provides 700mA for instance). Depending on how much Amp your phone charger provides, it can take longer, in the case of a 500mA charger it takes 4 times as long. (14 hours+).

It is really hard to find a good wallcharger that provides 2A that is not either flimsy as hell or pricy. HP had a firesale a few days ago where they sold their Touchpad charger (5.3V, 2A) for a cheap 5€ (including shipping) unfortunatelly my order got cancelled due to the high demand, but you should definatelly search for a charger with a higher amperage.

Darkfibre50

Jun 17, 2009
Yes yoar are correct the Charger I am using although physically large is only one amp.

Looks like I am in the market for a 2 amp charger

G0000f

Aug 9, 2010
Perth
When you are charging, is there a red cross through the battery symbol in the bottom right of the screen?

If so, then the problem is that your charger does not signal to the tab that it is a charger and so the tab will only trickle charge (as it would from a regular USB port).

The solution is:

a) to buy a tab compatible charger which sends this signal

b) buy an adapter to send the signal, search for somethig like "Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 New PC Charging Power USB Cable Adaptor" on eBay

c) if you have electronics skills make up a little circuit to fool the tab. It involves soldering a couple of surface mount resistors between the +5, D+, D- & 0v. Several pages around on it. Here's one I found in a hurry, sorry, can't post links yet... h t t p : / / forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad-accessories/314741-how-get-full-power-charge-mobile-battery-car-hp-touchpad.html

Last edited:

LollieLaurie

Dec 6, 2011
Denderleeuw
www.spacebubble.be
I can't find my original wallcharger anymore :(

I use the original usb-cable and the charge unit from my SIII but it's slow as hell. And when the tab is on most of the time there is a red cross on the battery. It's very sucky :(

Localhorst86

Jul 5, 2011
Germany
Just go find any old wallcharger that provides 2 Amps then. I bought a second original charger off of amazon for "just" 15€. It's not the cheapest I could find, but easily the one I trust most not to burst up in flames :)

I would recommend staying away from cheap, flimsy adapters.

http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-ETA-P10E-Reiseladegerät-inkl-USB-Kabel/dp/B0044EAVB6/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

EDIT: I suspect the SIII charger does not output 2A, really. Such a poweradapter is very uncommon for phones (I have not seen one with such an amperage yet) and only common for "high power devices".

EDIT2: If it is this one you have (http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-ETA0U8...D2LC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345112597&sr=8-4), then yes, this does not provide enough power for the Galaxy Tab. This has an output of only 1A.

EDIT3: For you, my belgian friend: http://www.amazon.fr/Samsung-ETA-P1...AVB6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345112860&sr=8-2
a bit more expensive than in germany, but you have free shipping to belgium :)

Last edited:

general1977

Apr 29, 2008
Buying a 2A charger won't do because the tab is limiting the current it draws from the charger unless it detects the original charger. This is to comply with the USB standard maximum current of 0.5A. If the tab drew more current from a standard charger, chances are good that the charger either shuts off due to overload or simply goes defect.

To use a 2A standard charger using the full current, you need to buy/build an adaptor cable to fool the tab into thinking it's hooked up to the original charger.

Regards
Achim

abihakim

Nov 11, 2012

Completely turn off the tablets. Im pretty sure it'll work

Sent from my GT-P7500 using xda premium

eyekanspel

Dec 25, 2012
slow charging WITH samsung charger?

I've been using the samsung wall charger from the box with my galaxy tab 10.1 and a few days ago it started to only trickle charge when plugged in with it. It charges like 3-5% per hour, and says its "discharging" in the battery menu while its plugged in. Thing is, the charger I have is frayed a bit at the male-to-tab (not male-to-block) side of the cord. Could this be causing my problem? I don't want to buy another charger for no reason, but I also don't want to send in my tab for weeks on end to find out it was the charger...any advice?