[SOLVED] MTP device driver (code 10) Help!?

Search This thread

Sparrow245

Mar 7, 2011
THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED!

If you have the MTP usb device driver error (code 10), then scroll down and try what worked for me.

Last edited:

iTz KeeFy

May 15, 2012
Atlanta
So, I used Odin to reset my vibrant back to stock 2.1. I then tried to get it to 2.2 using Samsung Kies, but when ever I try to use it, MTP Device fails to install. Anyone know how to get the driver to install / work correctly so that I can use Kies? Thank you in advance.

You should really avoid using kies if possible. It is notorious for hard bricking phones, meaning they become paper weights if something goes wrong. You should install clockwork mod recovery and install a custom 2.2 ROM, there are literally tons to choose from and they are pre-rooted. Some of the custom ROMs have odin images so you could actually skip the clockwork recovery step. I'll link you to the 2.2 ROM I'm using or you can search for something different. Here is Axura 2.2, use the odin image in the 3rd post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1787267.

EDIT- if you also need drivers for your phone then go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=728929
Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Toast6977

May 17, 2012
If you want 2.2 (Froyo) installed on your Vibrant, like the other poster said, there are literally tons of great builds.

Here is a link to one that I really liked, it had great battery life, and overall good performance. Bionix V - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=21324042

As stated above, please avoid using the Kies software, it generally creates many more problems than it is worth.

Sparrow245

Mar 7, 2011
I've used Kies many times, so I know what I'm doing. But apparently this time something about the MTP driver isn't going alright. Could be that I have this fairly new computer? I've already tried installing the vibrant drivers, but for what ever reason I keep getting a code 10 error for the MTP usb device. :/

Toast6977

May 17, 2012
Well if your not doing so already, try running the program as administrator.

However, not sure why you are so hell bent on running the stock Froyo via Kies, when there are so many other amazing Froyo/GB/ICS/and now JB custom ROMs that work MUCH much better, and have way better support than Samsung could ever provide.

However, to each his own. Good luck to you with your endeavors! :)

Sparrow245

Mar 7, 2011
Which ROM I want has nothing to do with my question. The problem is the MTP usb device, which apparently fails to start. (Code 10)? I've seen that it's a common problem, but there isn't any one definite answer. I was hoping maybe someone here knows how to fix it?

samsgun357

May 3, 2012
Which ROM I want has nothing to do with my question. The problem is the MTP usb device, which apparently fails to start. (Code 10)? I've seen that it's a common problem, but there isn't any one definite answer. I was hoping maybe someone here knows how to fix it?

Google code 10 error mtp

You should find a link that says fixed code 10 mtp error Samsung galaxy
It is a post on android forums or phandroid??? You should see it and it should fix your error.

sent from my magic box to yours

Sparrow245

Mar 7, 2011
Ah! Finally found a solution! :D Not sure if this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

1. Plug up your phone like usual. Connect with Samsung Kies. Obviously, you will get get MTP code 10 error.
2. Go to the device manager, and then uninstall the driver. Unplug your phone.
3. Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers and rename wudfrd.sys and winusb.sys to wudfrd1.sys and winusb1.sys respectively.
3. Plug your phone back in, and connect with Kies.
4. The computer will try and install the driver again, but fail.
5. Go to the device manager again, and attempt to update the driver. It should fail, and you should get a (code 28) error this time. Make sure you have a code 28 error!
6. Go back to c:\windows\system32\driver and rename the 2 files back to it's original names.
7. Go to c:\windows\inf and look for a file named wpdmtp.PNF. Take the file, and move it somewhere else (like your desktop) don't delete it.
8. Now go to the MTP usb device again, and attempt to update drivers. It should update, and recognize your device now.

This is what worked for me, I don't know if it will work for you. I'm not responsible for anything that goes wrong.

samsgun357

May 3, 2012
@sparrow, that's exactly what I read but it was to much to type.

sent from my magic box to yours

bbayless

Nov 7, 2011
Denton,TX
Please Help

hey man did you ever get the MTP driver to start? I am still at a loss with this myself.

samsgun357

May 3, 2012
Ah! Finally found a solution! :D Not sure if this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

1. Plug up your phone like usual. Connect with Samsung Kies. Obviously, you will get get MTP code 10 error.
3. Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers and rename wudfrd.sys and winusb.sys to wudfrd1.sys and winusb1.sys respectively.
5. Go to the device manager again, and attempt to update the driver. It should fail, and you should get a (code 28) error this time. Make sure you have a code 28 error!
6. Go back to c:\windows\system32\driver and rename the 2 files back to it's original names.
7. Go to c:\windows\inf and look for a file named wpdmtp.PNF. Take the file, and move it somewhere else (like your desktop) don't delete it.
8. Now go to the MTP usb device again, and attempt to update drivers. It should update, and recognize your device now.

This is what worked for me, I don't know if it will work for you. I'm not responsible for anything that goes wrong.

This is the steps used to fix.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Israelleite

Now is really solved.

For some reason, any of those options helped me to make it work:

- Reinstall Windows Media Player
- Remove registry key
- Clean up old usb drivers
- re-install 100 times drivers from Verizon, Samsung. Even old versions.
- Install from Windows Update. I tried to do that 1000 times. Gosh!
- enable UMT access (mass storage) on the phone.

The only thing that worked was, for some reason , getting the drivers from a random computer that was the only computer that worked.

Windows 7 x64

Attached the files. Go to the devices manager and update the drivers.

Israel Leite

Attachments

• Galaxy_S3_MTP_driver_win7x64.rar
    569.3 KB · Views: 940

rakhihere

Feb 27, 2014

Thanks a ton...saved my day.

Top Liked Posts