Firmware MediaPad ICS 4.0.3 HWMOD C232B005

Search This thread
Jan 12, 2010
You cannot do this directly with TB on this rom. All google aps are moved to the /cust partition in this rom. And TB only intergrates apps to system partition. You can manualy overwrite the updated apk file with root explorer.

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using XDA Premium HD app

Ok thanks for the explanation, i've been explored cust/channel/normal/app with root explorer. There is phonesky.apk with playstore icon logo. Whether this file should be replaced?

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using Tapatalk 2

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
Ok thanks for the explanation, i've been explored cust/channel/normal/app with root explorer. There is phonesky.apk with playstore icon logo. Whether this file should be replaced?

Yes this is the file you need to replace if you updated the Google Market (PlayStore) application.

If you want to replace an application which is part of Google Apps then overwrite the .apk found in:

/cust/channel/normal/app​

If you want to add your own preferred applications to the list of preinstalled, add the .apk file in:

/cust/channel/normal/delapp​

If you want to add libraries put them in:

/cust/channel/normal/lib​

in this way your /system partition will remain intact as released by Huawei and the applications will persist and survive a "Factory reset".

Have fun !

.:HWMOD:.

Stransky

Mar 28, 2011
Newtownabbey
Xiaomi Mi 6
Xiaomi Pad 6
Hi
Just got myself an Orange Tahiti (Huawei Mediapad) and have just this moment installed your rom. I also have an Advent Vega 10.1" tab with a custom ICS
rom (VegaCream RC2). Am I correct in assuming that I can restore my apps
with Titanium if I switch the SD card from my Vega to the Tahiti just to restore
or is this not possible?

Thanks for your brilliant Rom.

Stransky

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
Hi
Just got myself an Orange Tahiti (Huawei Mediapad) and have just this moment installed your rom. I also have an Advent Vega 10.1" tab with a custom ICS
rom (VegaCream RC2). Am I correct in assuming that I can restore my apps
with Titanium if I switch the SD card from my Vega to the Tahiti just to restore
or is this not possible?

Thanks for your brilliant Rom.

Stransky

I believe you can do that but I never tried myself do do cross tablet backups.

Titanium saves the original application files ("*.apk") so I think it will be possible.

Have fun,

Stransky

Mar 28, 2011
Newtownabbey
Xiaomi Mi 6
Xiaomi Pad 6
I believe you can do that but I never tried myself do do cross tablet backups.

Titanium saves the original application files ("*.apk") so I think it will be possible.

Have fun,

Hi hwmod

Thanks I have transferred my SD Card from the Vega and was able to update
via Titanium after selecting the SD Card as primary storage.

Have now reverted to internal and replaced the SD Card.

Question: How does one see the SD Card under normal running to be
able to move apps to it.

Stransky

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
Hi hwmod

Thanks I have transferred my SD Card from the Vega and was able to update
via Titanium after selecting the SD Card as primary storage.

Have now reverted to internal and replaced the SD Card.

Question: How does one see the SD Card under normal running to be
able to move apps to it.

Stransky

You can use the default "File Manager" application, on top the first two tabs are: Local (Internal) and SD card (External)
By keeping pressing a folder or a file a selector will pop up with a list of action to perform on the selected item.

If you prefer something that is able to work with "root" privileges I would suggest "ES FIle Manager" (the free one from Market).
Be warned that while browsing the file system with "root" privileges you can easily mess up things by deleting system files.

Reactions: Stransky

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
how do you update to busybox 1.20.2?

Copy the busybox-1.20.2 executable in "/cust/normal/bin".

You must set permissions to "-rwxr.xr.x" (755) and the file must be owned by user "root" and group "root".
You must mount the "/cust" partition in read/write mode to be able to write to it.
To make it easy use a file manager that can work using "root" privileges.

mangoman

Dec 20, 2006
Ok, going to try it.titanium backup complains that it is not rooted despite it was working before the upgrade.

Ok downloaded busybox from one of those installers and copied it to cust/channel/normal/bin now mybackup does not complain about outdated busybox.

Still get error work titanium that it is not rooted

Failing command is "/system/xbin/su"

Superuser app does not find any binary files, is that normal?

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
Ok, going to try it.titanium backup complains that it is not rooted despite it was working before the upgrade.

Ok downloaded busybox from one of those installers and copied it to cust/channel/normal/bin now mybackup does not complain about outdated busybox.

Still get error work titanium that it is not rooted

Failing command is "/system/xbin/su"

Superuser app does not find any binary files, is that normal?

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using Tapatalk

"Superuser" version 3.0.7 (with "su" binary 3.0.3.2) is working perfectly (I suggest not to update them).
Unfortunately newer versions are too restrictive in relation to the locations where "su" can live.
Currently it seems "Superuser" is searching for the "su" binary only in predefined specific locations:

/system/bin/su
/system/xbin/su

instead it should consider searching the standard PATH environment variable (as was in 3.0.7).

However this happens only during the upgrade of the "su" binary, while it correctly uses the PATH environment variable when invoked through the API from other packages (this is an inconsistency in "Superuser" itself).

This same problem affects other software packages looking only in predefined locations and that do not use the "Superuser" API.
All the applications requiring "root" privileges that perform the request through the use of the "Superuser" API work flawlessly (this is a fact).

This looks wrong to me, but I am not in a position to change things. Maybe I have a solution (hack).

There is no need to update "Superuser" and the "su" binary that are working in the modified firmware.

Adding to that, the process of requiring "root" privileges through latest "Superuser" has turned incredibly slow (almost unacceptable).

Somebody has realized that and can confirm the additional slow down in Superuser 3.1/3.2 ?

mangoman

Dec 20, 2006
Ok, thanks.
I have not updated superuser or binary before.

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
Ok, thanks.
I have not updated superuser or binary before.

You can also use the new update I released in post #2 to achieve that.
It contains a new Overclocked Kernel and an update to the "cust" partition.

Just update the usual way by copying the "dload" folder present in the ZIP archive.
No need to use "fastboot/adb" or other tools to achieve a simple firmware update.

Hope this will let more users profit new overclocked kernels !

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
HWMOD kernel 3.0.42 + custom updates for firmware C232B005 (August 2012)

HWMOD kernel 3.0.42 + custom updates
For C232B005 firmware (August 2012)

The update will hopefully retain all your applications and data intact however I cannot be held responsible for loss of data. Do a backup first.

I tried getting this objective by including the "userdata.img.ext4" as found in an OTA update.
It only contains a "bootflag" file that inform the system to skip the "Factory Reset" after the update.

This update will rewrite two partitions on your device:

- boot (contains OC Kernel, startup ramdisk and initialization)
- cust (contains Google Apps, Huawei Apps, modules, utilities)

INSTALLATION

To install this update you should extract the downloaded archive on a PC, then copy the "dload" folder to the SD Card and reboot the device, as you do with a standard update from Huawei.
The difference is that you must press the power button for 10 seconds after the update finished successfully, it is not enough to remove the SD card as it happens after a complete reinstall.

So when the update is finished remember to remove the SD card before rebooting the device.
If you do not remove the SD card it will reapply the update again until the SD card is removed.
As an alternative It is also possible to start the update from the Settings menu:

"Settings->About Tablet->System updates (SD card)"​

ABOUT ROOT PRIVILEGES

Since certain application refuse to recognize the availability of "root" privileges, I tried to fix this problem in this update with a simple hack.
A file named "privileges" in "/cust/root/" let my custom script know that the user would like to make both "busybox" and "su" binaries available in the path these applications will search ("/system/xbin").

You can remove the "privileges" file from "/system/xbin" to go back to the standard "root" privileges recognized by all the applications using the "Superuser" API (as it should be).

Also, I highly suggest you avoid updating these system utilities there is no need to do it, especially now that privileges works.
If you really want or need to do it I suggest you do it manually and avoid executing the automatic installers found in many apps.
Info on how to use different kernels and customizations on XDA: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1725345

* FIRMWARE UPGRADE DOWNLOAD *

ZIP contains kernel (boot.img) and customization software (cust.img)
Size: 82.443.146 (∼80Mb) - md5: 50d8e8cafd78d5720c02e3f3dc8702ca

MIRROR 1 (GameFront)

==================================================

Changelog for this release:

- replaced kernel-3.0.42 Overclocked, clock up to 1.782 MHz
- undervolting from 750 mV @ 192Mhz to 1.275 mV @ 1.782 MHz
- default clock 1.188 MHz, as in stock, governor "ondemand"

- updated "busybox" executable version 1.20.2
- updated "Superuser.apk" version 3.1.3
- updated "su" executable version 3.1.1

- custom partition, added all folders recognized by the OS
- BCM4329 firmware to allow for Wifi WAPI certificates
- logo/media folders for preferred graphics/animations
- Phonesky.apk (Google Play Store) version 3.8.17

- improved "busybox" & "su" detection for incompatible apps
- made it easy to install or update to different kernels

HWMOD Kernel signature:
=======================

Linux version 3.0.42 (hwmod@kernels)
(gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT
Sun Aug 26 01:56:23 CST 2012

Huawei firmware versions:
=========================

ICS Build Version: 4.0.3 (S7-301uV100R002C232B005)
ICS Base Version: C002B010 (S7-30XuV100R002C002B010SP30)
Baseband Version: 314007 (S7-30XuV100R002C002B010_314007_AMSS)

Google Apps:
============

GAPPS Version: 4.0.4 (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip)

Last edited:
Reactions: keno7777

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FIRMWARE MEDIAPAD ICS 4.0.3 HWMOD C232B005
    Kernel: 3.0.8 (hid@tablet_server) Thu Jun 7 17:50:45 CST 2012
    Compiler: (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC)) #1 SMP PREEMPT
    Baseband: 314007 - Android: 4.0.3 - GAPPS: 4.0.4
    Incremental Build: V100R002C002B010SP030

This is a modified copy of the official firmware released by Huawei C232B005 General Version (June 2012). It doesn't require running "sanix" patches nor modifications to the system partitions "boot.img"/"system.img".

As in the original, the zip file contains instructions on how to upgrade from a MicroSD memory card. The firmware contains updated GAPPS ICS 4.0.4 (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip).

It has been said several time however you know you will void your warranty by modifying your device.
    I have tried these modified firmware several times on my MediaPad before rendering them available.

On "Androidiani.com", in the MediaPad forum, I have been releasing these same kind of modifications for the following firmwares:

C232B002, C167B003, C170B008, C170B009 and currently C232B005

I have to say thanks to many users on that forum for their contributions and suggestions.

Before you start the upgrade

Download the firmware ZIP file, unpack the file on your PC and copy the "dload" folder found in the archive on the external MicroSD card. In the same archive you will also find Huawei original PDF document in English explaining how to upgrade the device and a "readme.txt" file that lists version numbers of the various components of the firmware (kernel, baseband, build etc.).

Remember to use Huawei's "All Backup" (suggested) or similar tools to backup all the applications and data on the external MicroSD card before proceeding with the update. In this firmware it is possible to activate a remote Google backup of the applications installed from the Market using a personal Google account ("Setting -> Backup and reset -> Backup account").

Standard update method

Only copy the "dload" folder in your MicroSD card, reset the device by switching the device off (press "power" button for 10 sec). If the device doesn't start automatically again press the power button. If the update does not start repeat the operation and additionally keep pressing the Volume+ button (on the right).

Alternate update method

Use the phone application to dial the following number * # * # 2 8 4 6 5 7 9 # * # * then, from the menu that appears, select:
    "Project Menu Act -> Upgrade -> SD Card Upgrade -> SD Card Upgrade External Storage".

For both methods

Follow the instructions on the device screen (in green), the complete update process will be about 10 minutes, then the device will reboot a couple of times, be patient and let the device be quiet a couple of minutes more before touching it (while updating the sim, sn, touch & coulometer firmware).

I always suggest executing a "Factory reset" after a firmware upgrade. You can do that from "Setting -> Backup & reset -> Factory data reset" and if possible also check the box related with the formatting of the device internal memory (after ensuring you have made a backup of all you may need).

IMPORTANT !!!
    To avoid touching key partitions of the Android OS and the original firmware I decided to leave the duplicated "Gallery2" application (found in the "system" partition). For this reason, after the upgrade you will end up with two "Gallery" applications. Deactivate or remove the first one of the two, the one which is smaller in size. The second one has more options (Google+/PicasaWeb sync) than the one pre-installed by Huawei. Since the device is "rooted" any file manager capable of browsing folders with "root" privileges will be enough to perform the removal.

Informations

This firmware uses an alternate method to obtain "root" permissions on the MediaPad avoiding modifications to important parts of the original firmware ("boot" and "system"), at the same time it adds missing Huawei/Google applications and enable some of the functionalities that were not enabled in the original firmware.

Modifications have been applied exclusively to the device "cust" partition ("cust.img.ext4") all the remaining partitions and files have been left untouched compared to the originals Huawei ICS 4.0.3 firmware released 21 June (C232B005).

Updated:
    • all ICS Google Apps (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip)
    • modified permissions for "busybox" executable (755)
    • International language selected as "default" (English)
    • International wifi settings for channels (13)
    Added:
    • Huawei applications missing in the official version
    • GenieWidget application included in newer gapps-ics
    Removed:
    • "Huawei Input Method" add-on keyboard and all related Language Packs (42)
    • Gmail, Maps, Music2, PlusOne, Street, TagGoogle, Talkback, Youtube
    • Aldiko, Facebook, FoxitReader, Twitter, YozoOffice and related libraries
    • two space hungry games, Asphalt6, LGolf and related libraries
    • images and demo animations (media)
    List of added/updated applications and their versions:
    • AccountAgent-1.1.17.apk
    • AllBackup-4.1.33.apk
    • HiDisk-3.0.21.apk
    • HwOUC-2.3.8.apk
    • PhoneFinder-2.2.0.apk
    • PushAgent-2.2.1.apk
    • Superuser-3.0.7.apk
    List of functionalities added to this firmware:
    • "root" permissions, Superuser.apk, busybox v1.20.1, su v3.0.3.2
    • firmware updates from "Settings" (Huawei/Google components)
    • Google GenieWidget & Google Backup Transport functional
    • Huawei applications: All Backup, HiDisk, PhoneFinder

* FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD *

ZIP containing firmware and software (essential: huawei_apps + google_apps):
    Download size: 258.649.399 bytes (247Mb) - md5: 8c8bac1094d7dcb87d959a3be1482f6f

MIRROR 1 (GameFront)

* HUAWEI KEYBOARD DOWNLOAD *

ZIP containing the new keyboard and 42 additional language packs (Huawei Input Method):
    Download size: 16.266.684 bytes (15Mb) - md5: 22b4aeddd6c214ffc7e5ef753216d68b

MIRROR 1 (GameFront)

Have fun,

HWMOD Linux kernel 3.0.42 Overclocked + customizations update

This update replaces (overwrite) the "boot" and "cust" partitions of the device.

The update process should retain all installed applications and data.
    To achieve "non destructive" update I used the same method used in OTA updates.
    At the end of the update process the tablet will reboot once more after restoring the
    serial number, sim/imei, firmwares for touch-screen and coulometer etc.

The update methods remain unchanged (no need to use "fastboot/adb"):

1) download the compressed ZIP archive and unpack it on your PC
    2) copy the "dload" folder contained in the archive on the external SD card
    3) restart the device and follow exactly the on-screen instructions (in yellow)

The "boot" contains the new kernel 3.0.42 Overclocked and the initialization "ramdisk".
    The "cust" partition has been updated with the new "Superuser.apk", "su" and "busybox".

Inside the ZIP compressed archive you will find a "readme.txt" with expanded informations and instructions.

Credits to "arkusuma" for the modifications related to the touch screen driver and to "contributors/modders" on XDA.

* FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD (updated 2012/09/10) *

ZIP contains kernel (boot.img) and customization software (cust.img)
    Size: 82.463.617 (∼80Mb) - md5: 05dc4f0a5aa564dc8f628659540bbb8d

MIRROR 1 (GameFront)

* HUAWEI KEYBOARD DOWNLOAD *

ZIP containing the new keyboard and 42 additional language packs (Huawei Input Method):
    Download size: 16.266.684 bytes (15Mb) - md5: 22b4aeddd6c214ffc7e5ef753216d68b

MIRROR 1 (GameFront)

Have fun,

Other due informations ... to let you feel in full control :)

I wanted to explain the trick (hack) I am using to make "root" privileges more
    compatible with applications refusing to find "su" e "busybox" binaries in the
    "bin" folder located in the "cust" partition. Without ever modifying "system".

Before explaining that, be aware that I reduced the customization path of one level:

- before the path was "/cust/normal/..."
    - now that has become just "/cust/..."
    - "normal" folder disappeared

Well, I assembled a small "ext4" image containing the files that where originally in the
    "/system/xbin" folder and I added "busybox"+"su" to it (same versions found "/cust/bin").

The small "ext4" filesystem I created contains these 6 binary executables:

busybox - added
    dexdump - original
    hcidump - original
    iperf - original
    su - added
    wl - original

the size of this filesystem "ext4" is just 1Mbyte, the minimum to contain what is necessary.

During boot a script checks if both files "/cust/root/privileges" and "/cust/root/xbin.ext4" exists.
    In the case they exists it execute the following command to "mount" the small "ext4" partition
    over the "/system/xbin" folder:

busybox mount -o loop,noatime,ro -t ext4 /cust/root/xbin.ext4 /system/xbin

This is sufficient to "fake" all applications that are not 100% compatible with the "Superuser" API.

I apply the same process also for kernel modules, in this way I avoid forcing users wanting
    to install different kernels to manually copy all the kernel modules to "/system/lib/modules".
    Basically the "system" partition is never touched/modified/written.

So, in case you have applications wanting to write to "/system/xbin", they will probably fail.

If you absolutely need to allow some application to write in those folders you will have to
    remove the file "/cust/root/privileges" and restart the tablet. This can be achieved with any
    "file manager" that allow working on the filesystem with "root" privileges.

The file "/cust/root/privileges" is an empty file (size 0 bytes), if you recreate it and restart the tablet
    the trick to mount the file system "ext4" over the "/system/xbin" folder will be restored and will work
    as described above. Thus the user is in control of this process (enable/disable).

I hope there are no negative effects against this trick/hack, up to know I haven't found any problem.

I have updated POST #2 of this thread with a fixed kernel-3.0.42.

The fixed kernel resolve a problem with the integrated microphone not working.

Have fun :)
    GRAPHIC CUSTOMIZATIONS FOR HUAWEI MEDIAPAD

The instructions, as they are, work and have been tested on HWMOD firmwares (having "normal" as channel name). Obviously "root" privileges are required and already available on this firmware.

It should work on other firmwares if functionalities haven't been removed or replaced. For other firmwares it should be enough to modify the paths depending from versions and modifications applied. The most probable change you will have to do will be related to the name of the path used, which in turn depends from the name of the "channel" (for Huawei firmwares: yatai, china, russia, austrulia, t-mobile etc.).

All HWMOD firmwares have "normal" as name of the "channel", thus the same instructions should be valid also for previous release.

There are three animations available for customization of our MediaPad:
    • bootanimation (boot)
    • charginganimation (charge)
    • shutdownanimation (shutdown)
    If you just want to TRY some animation, put your "bootanimation.zip" file in:

/data/local/bootanimation.zip (no root privileges needed)​

if you instead you want to PERMANENTLY install it, put your "bootanimation.zip" file in:

/cust/channel/normal/media/bootanimation.zip (root privileges needed)​

With this last method your animations will survive a "Factory reset" and remain the active animations.

The same instructions apply to "charginganimation.zip" and "shutdownanimation.zip" (replace the names).

I have just tried "JellyBean" (640x640) boot animation, very nice and simple, but there are so many out there...