"Unfortunately maps has stopped"

Search This thread

ESTEEeFFY0U

Aug 15, 2012
For some reason while I'm using the N7, just browsing various websites or looking at videos, the error notification "unfortunately maps has stopped" pops up.

I searched around for a fix or even other threads about this on the N7 but have not seen any.

I've tried re-installing the Maps application on my N7 but it seems like it can't be uninstalled. I disabled the app and the error message stopped, but when I wanted to use the Map app, I had to enable it, and after use did not disable and noticed the error notification pop up at around the same frequency.. (every other day or so.)

I have not rooted the device, and have only downloaded/installed a handful of apps; am using Apex launcher as an alternative for the lack of landscape view on the home screen. Thanks in advance for any help.

kilometers4

Mar 6, 2012
Same problem I'm having. Not rooted, completely stock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

andy o

May 6, 2012
I'm also having this problem with the Nexus 7 and CM10, but good to know it also happens in stock, saves me some trouble.

elementur

Aug 20, 2007
Tampa
For some reason while I'm using the N7, just browsing various websites or looking at videos, the error notification "unfortunately maps has stopped" pops up.

I searched around for a fix or even other threads about this on the N7 but have not seen any.

I've tried re-installing the Maps application on my N7 but it seems like it can't be uninstalled. I disabled the app and the error message stopped, but when I wanted to use the Map app, I had to enable it, and after use did not disable and noticed the error notification pop up at around the same frequency.. (every other day or so.)

I have not rooted the device, and have only downloaded/installed a handful of apps; am using Apex launcher as an alternative for the lack of landscape view on the home screen. Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you tried this: Goto Settings > Apps > Maps > Force stop, clear cache, clear data. Then try rebooting your N7.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

I'm also having this problem with the Nexus 7 and CM10, but good to know it also happens in stock, saves me some trouble.

Have you tried fixing permissions in recovery or through ROM Manager?

andy o

May 6, 2012
I've tried both, and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling maps, it still happens. Yesterday it interrupted me twice while I was playing a game. It's starting to get annoying.

MrSchroeder

Oct 15, 2011
Lombard, IL
If you don't *use* maps, and all the attendant programs (like local, navigation, etc) you can always go into your appdrawer, longhold the app and drag it up to App Info. (or go settings>apps>maps) and choose to "disable" the program.

(This *should* be possible stock, not rooted. I may be wrong, I didn't leave my N7 stock very long ;P)

andy o

May 6, 2012
I might have figured it out. Go to maps, settings, location settings, location reporting, select "do not update your location". So far no message this past day or so (crossing fingers).

[edit] Spoke too soon, just got one.

Last edited:

slixzen

Jan 9, 2010
Call Google Apps support.

I had this issue happen to me for the Gmail app, and unfortunately, this was happening on two devices, occured after Factory Resetting two devices, and removing and re-adding the account.

Google might have changed/switched a setting, and it may have affected your ability to access any saved data you have on your account.

StillDRE

Oct 23, 2010
Same problem here, maps has stopped. Happend when my N7 was stock, andre now when it is rooted.

andy o

May 6, 2012
FWIW, this has never happened to me again since I installed AOKP some days ago.

andy o

May 6, 2012
AOKP is a custom ROM. Build 2 just came out a couple of days ago and build 3 is on the way. Cyanogenmod 10 may also have fixed this problem but I haven't tried any recent builds. Also, maps was updated very recently, are you on the last version?

samehabnir

Oct 5, 2012
Cairo
Same Here

i have same problem with google maps on my xperia neo after i flashed my last rom.
after a fresh installation. it s runnning but when i restart i have that message "unfortunatly.. app stoped"

chickenmusket

Mar 13, 2012
L.A.
note 2 l900 Unfortunately maps has stopped using favorites

No solutions recommended thus far have worked (fix permissions, clear cache, disable download reenable).

Every time I select a favorite or home or work in maps, it crashes andi get that error message. If I select from the history or manually enter, there's no issue.

Rooted stock Android 4.1.1. Version 6.10 maps.
But not the updated version. I hate the maps updated version. It worked fine until about a month ago (give or take).

Why are so many having this issue?

Last edited:

neo45215

Feb 6, 2013
It may be the same prob fr evry1....or diff prob with similiar manifestation...post your logcats if you can....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

guritaburongo

Jun 4, 2013
i've read somewhere that could be a font size problem, go to settings and configure the smallest font size and try again, to me i didnt worked, but somehow the crash is delayed 1 or 2 seconds more

edit: i fixed it, my solution was to change the language
on android 4.4.2 (paranoid) you go to settings>>language & input>> english (United states)
don't know why i've set it to [ Developer] Accented English (zz_ZZ), that was the problem

another solutions i've read:
clean cache app
turn off phone, remove battery, wait 5 secs, turn on
flash gapps downloaded from your custom rom web
reset gps and agps, you can do this with "gps status" (search on play store)
try with another wifi, or mobile data plan (some people had problems with wep encrypted wifi's)

Last edited:
Reactions: BiAlH

BiAlH

Sep 6, 2010
Riyadh
i've read somewhere that could be a font size problem, go to settings and configure the smallest font size and try again, to me i didnt worked, but somehow the crash is delayed 1 or 2 seconds more

on android 4.4.2 (paranoid) you go to settings>>language & input>> english (United states)
don't know why i've set it to [ Developer] Accented English (zz_ZZ), that was the problem

clean cache app
try with another wifi, or mobile data plan (some people had problems with wep encrypted wifi's)
Changing the language from (zz_ZZ) to english (United states) worked for me thanks man

I was gonna buy a new tab cuz i use map regularly

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

clean cache app