Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,016 Members 50,248 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will a Hard Reset Unroot the Sidekick 4G?

Tip us?

jakfish
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default Will a Hard Reset Unroot the Sidekick 4G?

Now that I've got my apps chosen, I'm thinking about restoring factory settings and doing a clean install.

The phone is successfully rooted. If I hard reset, will the phone remain rooted?

As an aside: Settings/Privacy/Factory data reset vs. the power/volume down/clear storage deal? Are they both equally effective when working with the stock ROM?

Thanks,
Jake
T-Mobile Galaxy S-5, running unrooted stock ROM so far
T-Mobile Sidekick 4G, running MeMoRy ROM
T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro 2, running EnergyROM

Jax184
Old
Thanks Meter 155
A hard reset will remove root. It won't re-lock the phone if you've unlocked it though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax184 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jakfish
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax184 View Post
A hard reset will remove root. It won't re-lock the phone if you've unlocked it though.
Thanks, I hadn't known that. Owners of other types of Android phones had said the root remained.

I wonder why some other users here have posted about the difficulties of unrooting.

Jake

TheLastSidekick
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1923

DONATE TO ME
Yes to confirm with Jax, it does NOT retain root. You must use SuperOneClick again.

sent from my SGH-T839 (Sidekick 4G) running Glorious Overdose V3.0.3.
Team Inferno (Co-admin)
The Following User Says Thank You to TheLastSidekick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jakfish
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Thanks again. A follow-up: I think my phone is one update behind. I'm running T839UVKD1, and my googling tells me there's an update that came out 12/12.

If I use kies to flash that, I understand that I'll lose root, but will I lose my unlock?

Also, is the update worth it? Despite the complaining over at the TMobile Sidekick 4G forum, I have few complaints about the phone or the stock ROM. I've frozen Google Maps, Group Twitter, and other resource-hungry apps that I'll never use, and everything is generally fine.

Much obliged,
Jake

Jax184
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Once a phone is unlocked, it can't be re-locked. But as we've said, it can be de-rooted. The root occures at the OS level, while the lock is much more low-level.

The update is worthwhile. If you wish to stick to stock firmware, you'll want to use the very latest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax184 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jakfish
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Thanks, this is very helpful information. I'd love to find an update that allowed for the mapping of a CTRL key. Tried remapping the SEARCH key with CTRL WAKE_DROPPED, but no go.

On the other hand, changing SMILEY to TAB WAKE_DROPPED will give a functioning tab key. Makes the TextMaker beta a lot easier, though TM demands a CTRL for keyboard shortcuts.

Jake

lipico
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My sidekick is unlocked, if I update to the new original firmware, will it stay unlocked, and able to use my carrier?

Jax184
Old
Thanks Meter 155
I said it twice already, the phone will stay unlocked.