Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,899 Members 38,042 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Note 2 VS GSIII VS Next Nexus

Tip us?

averymlewis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 231

DONATE TO ME
I find it very difficult to commit to 1 phone for 2 years when technology changes so fast. I'll get the Note 2 and next year it'll be the Note 3 and so on so its naturally a challenge unless you have plenty of money to waste or enough lines that you can switch out phones as you please. But I think I may sell my S3 and get it granted it doesn't cost toooooo much.
Live Love Life

Kangal
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by averymlewis View Post
I find it very difficult to commit to 1 phone for 2 years when technology changes so fast. I'll get the Note 2 and next year it'll be the Note 3 and so on so its naturally a challenge unless you have plenty of money to waste or enough lines that you can switch out phones as you please. But I think I may sell my S3 and get it granted it doesn't cost toooooo much.
If you can do a month by month payment for services equal to a plan without a contract:
1- You will save yourself a lot of money
2- You can choose ANY phone that you want (as long as the gsm compatible)
3- You can quit anytime, you're not obliged to finish the contract

Here in my country, I'm paying $50 per month and am locked down.
I could be paying $18 per month for the same services. That's a saving over $500, which is sure to cover phone upgrades.

And if more people went prepaid, the profits of the Telecommunications would slim down. They'd have to be competitive to actually win customers. Overall, people would be voting with their wallets and the consumers would win.
Phase:
1) Nokia 5110 > 3315 > T610
2) LG U8360 + iPaq 2215 > O2 XDA II > iPaq rw6815 > Mitach Mio a702
3) N95 > HTC TyTN II > HTC TouchPro > iPhone 3G
4) DEXT > N900 > SGS > DZ + PlayBook
5) NOTE > NOTE 3

Classic Arsenal:
HTC Desire Z + GameGripper
Android 2.3.7 + MIUI DarkTheme + ItchyThumb

Current Arsenal:
Samsung NOTE 3, 4G, Black
vMOD, Apex, Kii, SwitchR
Matte Kickstand case, Glass Protector, Datel TurboFire2, Belkin Miracast
40GB's of Apps, PSX, N64, GBA, SNES, Sega Games
The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

martcerv
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
When watching videos the Status Bar hides. And if you have on-screen buttons, they hide too.

When using the NOTE, you primarily use it on Portrait mode. So the extra 80 pixels don't help for the Status Bar or the On-screen buttons. Its pretty much "wasted" on the empty spaces in the Browser and Apps, making things look a tad more "zoomed in".[COLOR="Silver"]
I havent used a stock rom in some time but on cm9 and paranoid android yes the status bar does autohide. But the screen doesnt expand to fill this space it just blacks out so the pixels the status bar consumed are lost in video playback. This is unless you actually expand the desktop which is pretty easy via long press of power and expand or gestures.

So if the screen 1280x720p and the status bar autohides and just blacks out it wont have a full 16:9 screen avaialable. This is if the status bar consumes any pixels because 720p has no extra pixels to use for this task. I also do like to have status bar visible at times when viewing videos to see battery level or notifications.

Saying when you use the note you primarily use it in portrait is just how you use it, I am quite the opposite. I use landscape for browsing the net and most tasks using portrait only for one handed quick use and phone calls. Having the extra pixels and 16:10 screen is very usefull giving more screen realestate to work with in landscape modes. 16:9 screen ratio will give you less lines on a webpage and if the status bar is on screen there is not much room on screen unless you force full screen mode just to get the same screen area as the current note. Expanding the 800p desktop is always going to be better then 720p and I think going to that ratio is a bad thing. A definite deal breaker for me, gs3 smaller screen and 1280x720 were the main reasons I avoided that.

If the note 2 follows that then I cant see me going for it and will just hang on to my note till something else comes along that is a bigger step above the current note.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium