5,596,568 Members 41,029 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is enabling SWAP in Surdu's G9 ROMs possible?

Tip us?

KhenemetHeru
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Is enabling SWAP in Surdu's G9 ROMs possible?

Surdu, first let me say thank you, one of the things that finally sold me on buying the Archos 80 G9 was the fact of how much development effort you have put into the rooted ROMs for the G9s - I have been running your "Custom Rom - Archos ICS Firmware 4.0.7 - Root , Deodex & Busybox !" ROM since the day my tablet arrived a couple weeks ago and it's been pretty much rock-solid.

I have one question, though, for you - since my tablet is one of the 16GB Turbo models with only 512MB RAM... is there a way to enable using a swap file on the SD card? Does the Kernel 4.0.7 have swap enabled or is there a different Kernel I need to do that? This thread by Quinny899 has a script that will create the swap file, but when it attempts to enable it I get an error; perhaps I need to add the options manually in the build.prop or sysctl, but I don't know for sure what entries are needed; only entry I know of that the script tried to set is "swappiness" which is currently listed as "swappiness=60" (which afaik is what the script was trying to set it to).

Sorry for the noobish question for my first post here, but this was the only tweak I couldn't find a decent answer to implement. Before I go running amok I figured I'd better ask the author of the ROM and Kernal for advice.

Again, thanks for all your work!
- Shadowhawk

DeeDroid
Old
(Last edited by DeeDroid; 6th September 2012 at 09:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
There already is a thread for enabling swap here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1835315
It works but didn't make it any better for me.
I also got only 512 MB. It was just a wrong decision to buy anything with this ridiculous low amount of memory