HTC Warranty Workaround ?

Search This thread

harshrocsu

Jul 30, 2011
I read through few posts about people being able to claim their warranty even after unlocking their bootloader , now these people had almost the same problem ..there screen wouldn't display anything or their phone wouldn't boot up at all. So I guess HTC won't check for your warranty if your phone is not booting up ...they'll just check your bill and see if its under warranty and do it for free ...

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Wilks3y

Aug 3, 2012
Leek
Well I've seen people get away with this, but I still darent unlock/root.
Because I know what my luck is like and I would be the only one that doesn't get repaired !!

Awt67

Jul 5, 2012
Newbiggin by the Sea
It took me 4 weeks to pluck up the courage to unlock my phone and I'm glad I did. I now have no warrenty but I do have an awesome phone.

Also I heard that if your phone is completely dead there is no way to tell if the phone is unlocked or not. So there is a reasonable chance you'll get your phone replaced.

rommark

Jun 4, 2008
It took me 4 weeks to pluck up the courage to unlock my phone and I'm glad I did. I now have no warrenty but I do have an awesome phone.

Also I heard that if your phone is completely dead there is no way to tell if the phone is unlocked or not. So there is a reasonable chance you'll get your phone replaced.

lol sounds like a good plan, now everyone who needs repair will burn it's phone and get new replacement under warranty :)

Wilks3y

Aug 3, 2012
Leek

Yeah I've been debating for about 3 weeks now, would you really say its worth it?

What ROM you using?

And, about the warranty, what does completely dead mean?
Not booting?
Or bricked etc?

Cheers mate.

Awt67

Jul 5, 2012
Newbiggin by the Sea
I am using Cyanogen Domination 10. It is still work in progress but it stable enough for everyday use. I would also say if you do unlock your phone try roms other as well because they all offer something different.

Dead as in bricked, although if you follow unlock steps carefully there is little chance of bricking your phone

harshrocsu

Jul 30, 2011
I unlocked my phone the day I bought it ...:D I'm not regretting it all but the little yellow spot in the bottom left corner is annoying sometimes ..

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
lets just make this clear, its certainly posted here already in many many threads...

if you read the unlocking stuff properly on the htc website, it clearly says that the warranty will be invalid for anything caused by unlocking the bootloader

so if you have a blatant hardware problem, ie the wifi antenna problem, they still have to repair it foc

so basically, unless you brick your device, you still have a warranty.

they might try insisting on replacing the main board for a cost, which i've heard quite often. the wifi fix requires changing the main board anyway, so for at least that problem, they shouldn't charge to fix.

still, it does depend on the type of problem as to whether you could convince them not to change the main board..