Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 45,615 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

X1ButtonMapper - Extends the keyboard and other buttons

Tip us?

Angelusz
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandie View Post
At least someone having the guts to try my software - thank you for the positive feedback!

Regarding the Win-key, I wouldn't remap it because:

1. I'm using it often
2. The win key is often sent in combination with other keys and it will cause some side effects to remap it - that's why I gave up on this idea

When there's more feedback and some problems discovered that are necessary to change, I will have another look into this FN+Tab issue.

By the way, having Tab remapped to Ctrl also has a good benefit - accidental clicks on tab don't happen anymore.
I'm planning on testing this tomorrow.

What can exactly go wrong if you use the windows button? I understand more functions are tied to it, but as a test I remapped it with AE button + and that worked just fine. The windows key now locks my phone. (had to use something to test eh ) and does so every time I press it. Awesome thing is, shift + windows key opens the start menu like it normally does! Don't you think your script could do exactly the same, but then normally map it to ctrl and shift + windows be normal windows? I'd rather use that one as I use tab more often than the windows key.

Also, I understand that your prog can do all that AE button can do; so it can map to functions like tilt the screen. But as there's no UI, how am I supposed to figure out what commands do what? I haven't yet worked with mortscript and my understanding of programming languages is shallow yet sufficient to easily learn how to use it, but I wouldn't know where to begin. For exactly this reason I think the best way to develop this application is two ways combined; a UI with some basic, often-used options as well as an option within that UI to create custom scripted binds, using mortscript. That way you get best of both worlds and every user will be able to use your wonderful code.

The bottomline; I'll tinker with it a bit and you should take JKingDev's offer.
"There is no good, nor bad - only perspective, and opinion."

Past:
- Sony Xperia X1 (WM6.5)
- HTC HD2 (CM Android 4.0)
Present:
- ASUS Padfone + Station & Keyboard (Stock Android 4.1)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro

Dandie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Again: Actually, Fn+Tab = Tab should work and just pretend it will work in the future, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore. I wouldn't have thought that people would cling on their tab key so much - my fault.

Regarding the win key, it may cause trouble when sending it by another key - I use long softkey press for that. You get Fn+yxcvasdf to do whatever you want - still not enough?

About the scripting and screen rotation: Get a small program which does rotate the screen and assign it to any button by setting up a script with Run("Programpath"). Everybody can do this without any programming skills h no nee for a UI.

Once and for all: I won't make a UI for this software, because it doesn't add any functionality at all. If someone likes to do it I can provide the sourcecode of this application.

I would suggest, rather than talking about a program you haven't used yet, to simply test it and give me feedback about what you like and what you don't.

Dandie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco5150 View Post
Hmmmm MortScript messed up my OK button.
What exactly do you mean? I personally use PocketPlus shortcuts for close and minimize (long press) and it works with no problem at all.

I think MortScript allows to use SendOk() for that. I would recommend to use your own task manager for that though, assuming it allows assignment to buttons.

Old
Thanks Meter 0
thank you very much

Angelusz
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Again: Actually, Fn+Tab = Tab should work and just pretend it will work in the future, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore. I wouldn't have thought that people would cling on their tab key so much - my fault.

Regarding the win key, it may cause trouble when sending it by another key - I use long softkey press for that. You get Fn+yxcvasdf to do whatever you want - still not enough?

About the scripting and screen rotation: Get a small program which does rotate the screen and assign it to any button by setting up a script with Run("Programpath"). Everybody can do this without any programming skills h no nee for a UI.

Once and for all: I won't make a UI for this software, because it doesn't add any functionality at all. If someone likes to do it I can provide the sourcecode of this application.

I would suggest, rather than talking about a program you haven't used yet, to simply test it and give me feedback about what you like and what you don't.
Throughout your post I'm getting the feeling you're annoyed. I asked some questions, with - from my perspective - valid reasons. I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong here.

Alright, I get it. No win-key, we'll have to work with tab. I do think it's a bit messy having to install an extra application to rotate the screen, as you might be able to imagine it's easier if there's a built-in function. Is there any possibility that you can add that to your program? I don't know what it takes to rotate the screen, but I can't imagine it's much.

On the UI part, I never said you should be making a UI. JKingDev offered you to make a UI in one of his first posts. Like I said, if you'd take his offer, having him create a UI that also allows custom scripting, it'd be bliss.

I understand that you would like some proper feedback instead of requests and I'm looking for mortscript right now to test it. I only posted to show some interest and was a bit disappointed by the tone of your reply.
"There is no good, nor bad - only perspective, and opinion."

Past:
- Sony Xperia X1 (WM6.5)
- HTC HD2 (CM Android 4.0)
Present:
- ASUS Padfone + Station & Keyboard (Stock Android 4.1)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro

Loco5150
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
What exactly do you mean? I personally use PocketPlus shortcuts for close and minimize (long press) and it works with no problem at all.

I think MortScript allows to use SendOk() for that. I would recommend to use your own task manager for that though, assuming it allows assignment to buttons.
No I just meant that after installing MortScript and your files the OK button does not minimize programs anymore. Complains about X1ButtonMapperScripts\OK_Short.... Not found.

Dandie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco5150 View Post
No I just meant that after installing MortScript and your files the OK button does not minimize programs anymore. Complains about X1ButtonMapperScripts\OK_Short.... Not found.
Mh, does the file exist? If not, add it and write the script with the action you want to perform. I call the close function of SPB PocketPlus Task manager.

anaadoul
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
good idea to publish the source code on http://www.codeplex.com
i can help out with that. BUT, is it written using C#, VB or C++?
we can collaborate and do something even better

great app, i really need the mapping functionality

Dandie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
@Angelusz

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude at all. Maybe it's just because I'm german - we like to put things straight. Don't take it personal, ok?

Dandie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaadoul View Post
good idea to publish the source code on http://www.codeplex.com
i can help out with that. BUT, is it written using C#, VB or C++?
we can collaborate and do something even better

great app, i really need the mapping functionality
I can mail the code to anyone who is interested. The program is basically plain C. No .net at all. I think that .net is far too much overhead for the scarce resources on a Smartphone. It is certainly possible to PInvoke into the specific Dll functions when you know how to do that.