Messed up screen after ICS update

Search This thread

luisant

Feb 21, 2009
Hi everyone,

I tried to install the new ICS ROM for my P7310.
Had CM10 installed and first tried to install the modified one via CWM.
Worked like a charm, but after screen was off it became messed up just like this guy had it.

Then I tried to flash the Stock ROM via ODIN. Installed just fine, but now I have the same messed up screen.

Problem is: It is messed up in Stock Recovery, too
2012090222.13.58.jpg

Can I install an older ROM (which one, tab is from Switzerland) or CWM via Odin?
I think I could hit the download mode without seeing what is on the screen ;)

Thanks in advance!

fred_be9300

Mar 12, 2011
(Edit: for a solution, scroll to end of this post)

I've heard "garbled screen" a few times regarding the ICS update.

Have you seen these posts? They suggest a solution... (and there's even another reference to Switzerland...)

I don't have experience with the issue, and can't comment beyond what I read elsewhere.

I bought the Tab 8.9 in Switzerland recently... am fairly well informed about working around Android devices... updated the firmware on my stock Honeycomb to the US ICS release via Odin... no issues in the process, and the tablet came up smart and zippy running ICS... even got the Play Movies/Books/Music app which normally doesn't feature in devices sold outside USA... although not much use of them unless I use a VPN service...

the problem is that as soon as I lock the device, or the screen times out, on trying to unlock the device I am met by a garbled unworkable screen... there is no option but to hard-reboot the device to get it working again... somebody is having the same issue here, but I can't post in Development forums... have tried reflashing and all, but its always the same thing... even with stock USA Honeycomb its the same behaviour... is there a region limitation to this firmware for proper functionality?

Same issue here.. As whit every usa stock based version... I have bricked my tab 2 times, i will appreciate that this issue will be mentioned in new threads as not every xda member is from usa. No problems with jb aosp and cm based version. Waiting for some european stock version

I managed to workaround this issue... flashed the P7310UELA3 3.2 via Odin, booted into recovery, performed factory reset/data erase, again flashed P7310UELPB 4.0 via Odin, and this time the Tab has no issue! it works like it should and there is no garbled screen on unlocking... if you want to save your app data before you do these steps, use Titanium...

If you're not on ICS yet but plan on upgrading, flash P7310UELA3 first. It seems that for some, flashing ICS straight gives you the weird screen strobing.

Edit: confirmed solution
by now several people have confirmed that flashing the P7310UELA3 is a working solution to screen flickering after resume from standby. (Flash the UELA3 using Odin, then flash again the ROM you really want to run)

You can find UELA3 ROM via any of these links:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24482346#post24482346 (thx nirogu325 - also linked in post #1 same thread)
http://samsung-updates.com/gt-p7310-galaxy-tab-8-9-wi-fi/
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1483168

be kind and hit "Thanks" if this helped you :)

Last edited:

fred_be9300

Mar 12, 2011
Glad to know it helped. Good to have that confirmed, for others who may have this...

Click thanks to say thanks ;)

Reactions: luisant

djcasl

Oct 3, 2011
Back to HC and to ICS again?

I've seen this quote a day late.
" If you're not on ICS yet but plan on upgrading, flash P7310UELA3 first. It seems that for some, flashing ICS straight gives you the weird screen strobing."

Now I have screen problems on ICS when I connect a data cable http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31410065&postcount=21. If I downgrade via Odin to P7310UELA3 and then go back to ICS via Odin, will data be preserved?

Update after flashing:
I flashed the recommended HC version, Tab couldn't get through bootanimation sequence. I turned the Tab off and started download mode again. Reflashed with ICS and all data was still there. Only the homescreens were empty again. My screen problem is fixed though.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2012
Hi Everyone :eek:

I'm doing something wrong here, hope someone can help.

Every time I install a ROM (Jellybean or ICS) I get the garbled screen after standby.

So, I've tried flashing the P7310UELA3 via Odin and I get a fail, do I just upload it to Bootloader or PDA?

My P7310 is a French version and I have tried flashing the French bootloader too, but still get fail.

I am a noob at this, but I am so close to installing a good rom but fail at the final hurdle. Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers :)

prince93

Aug 11, 2012
Cairo
Hi Everyone :eek:

I'm doing something wrong here, hope someone can help.

Every time I install a ROM (Jellybean or ICS) I get the garbled screen after standby.

So, I've tried flashing the P7310UELA3 via Odin and I get a fail, do I just upload it to Bootloader or PDA?

My P7310 is a French version and I have tried flashing the French bootloader too, but still get fail.

I am a noob at this, but I am so close to installing a good rom but fail at the final hurdle. Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers :)

flash the full rom as PDA

Reactions: MikeMcGrathXmen

jfy65

Dec 26, 2013
Need ROM P7310UELA3 - hotfile links brokrn

Hi,
Thank you for sharing this solution.
Unfortunately , I could not find a working link to ROM P7310UELA3, since hotfile was shut down.
Could anyone share this ROM with me ?
Thank you, Jacques.

OmarEinea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 18, 2012
Sharjah, UAE
Hi,
Thank you for sharing this solution.
Unfortunately , I could not find a working link to ROM P7310UELA3, since hotfile was shut down.
Thank you, Jacques.

I think this P7310UELA3 is android 3.2, and the android ICS 4.0.4 is available
so even if you want an android 3.2, I don't think you'll find anyone who can share it with you

If it is OK to use android ICS there is a link I already uploaded to Dev-Host HERE
this is all I got, and this all I have and can share with anyone;)

jfy65

Dec 26, 2013
Need ROM P7310UELA3 - hotfile links broken

I think this P7310UELA3 is android 3.2, and the android ICS 4.0.4 is available
so even if you want an android 3.2, I don't think you'll find anyone who can share it with you

If it is OK to use android ICS there is a link I already uploaded to Dev-Host
this is all I got, and this all I have and can share with anyone;)

Thanks. This whole stream is about the problem with the installation of stock ICS ROM which results in screen flickering on some devices. It happened to me after upgrading with KIES: The tablet becomes completely unusable. The solution suggested and tested above is to flash P7310UELA3 before ICS. Unfortunately, I could not find a working link to ROM P7310UELA3, since hotfile was shut down.
Thank you, Jacques.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (Edit: for a solution, scroll to end of this post)

I've heard "garbled screen" a few times regarding the ICS update.

Have you seen these posts? They suggest a solution... (and there's even another reference to Switzerland...)

I don't have experience with the issue, and can't comment beyond what I read elsewhere.

I bought the Tab 8.9 in Switzerland recently... am fairly well informed about working around Android devices... updated the firmware on my stock Honeycomb to the US ICS release via Odin... no issues in the process, and the tablet came up smart and zippy running ICS... even got the Play Movies/Books/Music app which normally doesn't feature in devices sold outside USA... although not much use of them unless I use a VPN service...

the problem is that as soon as I lock the device, or the screen times out, on trying to unlock the device I am met by a garbled unworkable screen... there is no option but to hard-reboot the device to get it working again... somebody is having the same issue here, but I can't post in Development forums... have tried reflashing and all, but its always the same thing... even with stock USA Honeycomb its the same behaviour... is there a region limitation to this firmware for proper functionality?

Same issue here.. As whit every usa stock based version... I have bricked my tab 2 times, i will appreciate that this issue will be mentioned in new threads as not every xda member is from usa. No problems with jb aosp and cm based version. Waiting for some european stock version

I managed to workaround this issue... flashed the P7310UELA3 3.2 via Odin, booted into recovery, performed factory reset/data erase, again flashed P7310UELPB 4.0 via Odin, and this time the Tab has no issue! it works like it should and there is no garbled screen on unlocking... if you want to save your app data before you do these steps, use Titanium...

If you're not on ICS yet but plan on upgrading, flash P7310UELA3 first. It seems that for some, flashing ICS straight gives you the weird screen strobing.

Edit: confirmed solution
    by now several people have confirmed that flashing the P7310UELA3 is a working solution to screen flickering after resume from standby. (Flash the UELA3 using Odin, then flash again the ROM you really want to run)

You can find UELA3 ROM via any of these links:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24482346#post24482346 (thx nirogu325 - also linked in post #1 same thread)
    http://samsung-updates.com/gt-p7310-galaxy-tab-8-9-wi-fi/
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1483168

be kind and hit "Thanks" if this helped you :)
    Filename: P7310UELA3_P7310XARLA3_XAR_17.01.12_USA.zip
    FIle size: 450 556 896 bytes
    MD5: 16D8C773C3318364C0D3E073AAA6BDB9
    SHA-1: 7E534642B9C9502930BA7A2051BCA70F26F32445

Link:
    https://mega.nz/#!SdoHEAxQ!h4nl0spIZqLZ5uBhUN1GFwFKL3g_Que1vBAgp4QaJrI
    Hi everyone,

I tried to install the new ICS ROM for my P7310.
    Had CM10 installed and first tried to install the modified one via CWM.
    Worked like a charm, but after screen was off it became messed up just like this guy had it.

Then I tried to flash the Stock ROM via ODIN. Installed just fine, but now I have the same messed up screen.

Problem is: It is messed up in Stock Recovery, too
    2012090222.13.58.jpg

Can I install an older ROM (which one, tab is from Switzerland) or CWM via Odin?
    I think I could hit the download mode without seeing what is on the screen ;)

Thanks in advance!
    Unfortunately, I could not find a working link to ROM P7310UELA3, since hotfile was shut down.
    Could anyone share this ROM with me ?.

I will have a look when I get home, to see if I still have it... (could take a week). PM me if I forget to follow up

I notice on samsung-updates.com site that they say it's being uploaded (or will be). Did you check sammobile.com?

http://samsung-updates.com/details/652/Galaxy_Tab_8.9_WiFi/GT-P7310/XAR/P7310UELA3.html

Sent from the road
    Thanks a lot!
    Installed as supposed, everything is fine now