Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

HTC Warranty Workaround ?

OP harshrocsu

30th August 2012, 10:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 36

175 posts
I read through few posts about people being able to claim their warranty even after unlocking their bootloader , now these people had almost the same problem ..there screen wouldn't display anything or their phone wouldn't boot up at all. So I guess HTC won't check for your warranty if your phone is not booting up ...they'll just check your bill and see if its under warranty and do it for free ...

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
30th August 2012, 10:58 AM   |  #2  
Flag Leek
Thanks Meter: 638

1,703 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well I've seen people get away with this, but I still darent unlock/root.
Because I know what my luck is like and I would be the only one that doesn't get repaired !!
30th August 2012, 11:10 AM   |  #3  
Flag Newbiggin by the Sea
Thanks Meter: 32

255 posts
More
It took me 4 weeks to pluck up the courage to unlock my phone and I'm glad I did. I now have no warrenty but I do have an awesome phone.

Also I heard that if your phone is completely dead there is no way to tell if the phone is unlocked or not. So there is a reasonable chance you'll get your phone replaced.
30th August 2012, 02:00 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 17

509 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awt67

It took me 4 weeks to pluck up the courage to unlock my phone and I'm glad I did. I now have no warrenty but I do have an awesome phone.

Also I heard that if your phone is completely dead there is no way to tell if the phone is unlocked or not. So there is a reasonable chance you'll get your phone replaced.

lol sounds like a good plan, now everyone who needs repair will burn it's phone and get new replacement under warranty
30th August 2012, 03:27 PM   |  #5  
Flag Leek
Thanks Meter: 638

1,703 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awt67

Yeah I've been debating for about 3 weeks now, would you really say its worth it?

What ROM you using?

And, about the warranty, what does completely dead mean?
Not booting?
Or bricked etc?

Cheers mate.
31st August 2012, 09:14 AM   |  #6  
Flag Newbiggin by the Sea
Thanks Meter: 32

255 posts
More
I am using Cyanogen Domination 10. It is still work in progress but it stable enough for everyday use. I would also say if you do unlock your phone try roms other as well because they all offer something different.

Dead as in bricked, although if you follow unlock steps carefully there is little chance of bricking your phone
5th September 2012, 06:08 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 36

175 posts
I unlocked my phone the day I bought it ... I'm not regretting it all but the little yellow spot in the bottom left corner is annoying sometimes ..

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
5th September 2012, 04:17 PM   |  #8  
Flag Berkshire
Thanks Meter: 136

811 posts
More
lets just make this clear, its certainly posted here already in many many threads...

if you read the unlocking stuff properly on the htc website, it clearly says that the warranty will be invalid for anything caused by unlocking the bootloader

so if you have a blatant hardware problem, ie the wifi antenna problem, they still have to repair it foc

so basically, unless you brick your device, you still have a warranty.

they might try insisting on replacing the main board for a cost, which i've heard quite often. the wifi fix requires changing the main board anyway, so for at least that problem, they shouldn't charge to fix.

still, it does depend on the type of problem as to whether you could convince them not to change the main board..

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread