[ROM][KERNEL][RECOVERY][01.08.2013] GeeWiz 2.9.2 EH03 TouchWiz Gingerbread (Retired)

Search This thread

lord dredd

Apr 4, 2011
take your time DJ
this is why we all love you :)
but on a side note , ( i know its too much and i must sday shamle4ss on my part ) but please give geeiwz an update based on the new showcase Rom if there is anything useful in it , also add some options in the kernel to have more options.

regards

PS : see when it comes to going on a tour or when i need my phone to work flawlessly on a busy day i always go back to Geewiz coz i know it wont ditch on any level ,
TBH i am on geewiz now since past few weeks coz i got sick of those random bugs in ICS and JB roms ( no offence intended to the RESPECTED DEVELOPERS )

Reactions: djp952

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Sorry GW Player is taking so long guys, but it is fairly Herculean of an effort for me. I spent the last 2 days fixing "Low Power Mode" (plugged in yet turned off), but I'm building what I hope to be the final iteration of that now. Turns out the AOSP battery charger works just fine on Fascinate, so I stopped fighting with the Samsung proprietary crap and switched to that. It required a new set of images for the charger to replace the stock green QMG animations, and I'm not very good at that stuff, so it took a while to come up with something I could be happy with. If you care, I've posted my (hopefully) final version of those graphics in the MODS/THEMES area (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1875977). I hope you like them.

I've crossed "Recovery" off my list for now and will be using the GW 2.8 Recovery instead. That will save gobs of time, but I do want to go in there and add deletion of a couple Android OS directories from the SDCARD during data wipe. The main time constraint is that I need to set up a Gingerbread development environment for the changes. ugh. Thank goodness for Virtual Machines.

There are still a few roadblocks to a BETA, but I am going as fast as I can for ya :crying: Hope you're still here when I'm finally ready to give you something that kinda/sorta does what I think it should!!!

phxshadow

Dec 26, 2011
Phoenix AZ
I am looking at getting the wife a new phone and was wanting to use the fassy she has a mini tablet. I was wondering if anyone has used google voice over wifi for phone calls? I am curious as to how well it works.

I am also having alot of reboots on my fassy. I think it might be an app but can't figure out which one it is. Where can I find the logcat on GW at ?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda app-developers app

swapnilss

Sep 9, 2008
mumbai
Eagerly awaiting for JellyWiz from you djp...... I hope it gets ready soon. Cant wait to have jelly bean experience on my fassy.

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Are you working on OCing the kernel at all? seems like you have a few projects going on. GeeWiz player, Jellywiz, and the kernel? not sure what to look for first.

The updated kernel supports 1.1GHz and 1.2GHz overclocking, 800MHz underclocking, and allows you to set bottom end to be set at 100MHz, 200MHz or 400MHz. In addition, I've added the Interactive, Interactive X and Smartass V2 governors. I won't be supporting over/undervolt. These are still pretty conservative options when compared to other kernels, I know, but it's something right? :p Those options are easy to back-port to the Ginerbread kernel as well, as is most of the application that controls it.

It also supports what I think are fairly unique new options (at least I've never seen them before) where I allow you to control the maximum state of charge for the battery as well as control how much drain is allowed before it will auto-recharge. The idea there is mainly for Player, devices that are likely to spend a lot of time plugged in on aging 2yr-old batteries. By limiting the maximum charge, the Lithium Ion battery lifetime can be extended quite a bit, of course at the cost of run time.

I completed my most ambitious set of DIY changes today, DIY because there was no reference to work from as nobody else I know of did these things. I have made the dock function like I believe it always should have. It can now seamlessly switch playback automatically to the line output when docked and it can force all volumes to 100% for you. I actually LIKE the stupid desk dock now! It works right! LOL. I don't have a Car Dock, but I was careful to at least consider it, I believe it will work OK.

The list is getting very short now for Player, and honestly some of it just won't make it in there, at least not anytime soon. I'm very close to Axing USB Tethering support and don't think I'll ever bother trying tp get device encryption working. USB Tethering would have been nice in only a very small amount of cases, since I imagine 99% of devices with a USB port also have Wifi here in 2012, so it's really likely not worth the effort. I tried and failed a couple times.

After tonight, the only "major" outstanding issue I have left is the camera. It barely works, and at the moment the flash doesn't work at all again. I made a custom Camera application from AOSP that allows for the Fascinate wide-screen picture formats, which required changes to Android, but for the moment I'm working with the Camera app from the Galaxy Nexus instead of my custom one.

Battery life is not great, nor is performance. I have some ideas as to why the battery life has gone down so much since my early builds (it's called the damn Radio Interface Layer), but it's totally workable. Battery life is on par with my Galaxy Nexus, just without all the speediness!

Player to-do as of right now:

> Encryption --Probably will never happen
> Camera issues in general
> Finish DBDATA hacks in INSTALLD --Probably not necessary other than to feel good about myself
> Port Linux 3.x kernel tracing code to enable ATRACE support -- May help me to improve performance/battery
> Bluetooth Low Power mode does not work
> USB Tethering -- Probably will never happen
> Finish Dock settings in AtlasParts -- still need to make some things mutually exclusive
> Customize JRO03O Launcher home screens
> Package a new RECOVERY.BIN with new base kernel and new startup scripts -- Unnecessary at this time

Oh, and my wife had a cute idea for a new name, since this device looks like a Galaxy Nexus now ... what do you think of "Fascinexus"? Too stupid? I like GeeWiz, I like JellyWiz, but ... there's no more Wiz in it!

edit: Added some eye candy attached images for ya. These are all the new kernel options as well as all the support I've built out for the Fascinate dock. (LOL, glad I did that .. the option should be named "Maximize Volume" not "Maximum Volume". Fixed.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-09-09-21-33-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-09-21-33-04.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_2012-09-09-21-32-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-09-21-32-37.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

lord dredd

Apr 4, 2011
getting restless now :p

cant wait for G'Bean / GellyWiz / Geez&Jelly ;)

my 1/2 cent just ;) .................

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
getting restless now :p

cant wait for G'Bean / GellyWiz / Geez&Jelly ;)

my 1/2 cent just ;) .................

Fair enough, it does seem like a bit of a tease at this point, doesn't it? How about a "preview" release for Player? Heck, I can upload an update-zip to mediafire and just link it in this thread for now if you'd like. Fair warnings: you need be on a stock-like setup already (no MTD), you can't use any other kernel, and you absolutely have to wipe data.

I just now solved a performance/battery life issue, too. I can see at least one or two more, but this was the biggest one. I found and eliminated a problem with the updated display driver that was causing 6-7% extra CPU at all times while the screen was on. So now I'm closer to about 4% CPU with the screen on and otherwise idle instead of more than 10% a couple days ago. Maybe I can track down that 4% as well, but the system has to use some manner of juice to keep updating the screen 60 times a second :) The system sensors also consume CPU that really can't be avoided.

OK, so you guys want a preview? Just for XDA GeeWiz 2.8 thread loyalists? If you don't need a camera flash, I think it's pretty damn close to being ready anyway. Most of the remaining work is tweaks and packaging. I can upload this latest build that completes the fix for the CPU usage after I smoke-test it.

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Am game
Shooooooooot plz

GWizzing on beautifully :) and freakin loving it.

I just hope you're not terribly disappointed :crying: I've spent like 6 weeks on this stupid thing and it's still not perfect! LOL. But hey, who knew the lengths you have to go if you want to try to do something your own way. I mean come on, I had to make graphics for the freaking battery charger! Crazy. I never tried CyanogenMod or the other big names on my Fascinate, but I would be very interested to know how it stacks up in performance/battery/etc (the GPS will always suck, that one I already know - ha)

Oh, and the first person that asks me for custom battery icon mods before the camera even works properly is gonna get e-smacked!! :silly:

Code is all checked-in, building now. Should be about an hour, maybe 2 if I messed something dumb up. I'll post back with the link and some quick commentary

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
OK, loyal GeeWiz bretheren ... I present to you a PREVIEW release of the long-teased GeeWiz 3 Player (or JellyWiz or Fascinexus or whatever you want to call it!)

[HA - you forgot how verbose I can be? READ ON! LOL]

This is an AOSP Jelly Bean [JRO03L] Wifi-Only ROM/Kernel for the Verizon Fascinate. There is no voice/data/3G support. The build itself is the same that I use for my Verizon Galaxy Nexus, so the included applications mirror that of what you find on the stock Galaxy Nexus, just without anything that uses NFC or the front-facing camera.

The intention of this ROM is to increase the functional life of the Verizon Fascinate beyond it's usage as a 3G cellular device. The Fascinate is about 2 years old now, so most people's contracts are up and will be (or already) have moved onto another phone. The Fascinate is still an excellent piece of hardware that is capable of serving as a media player.

Unlike the lionshare of ICS/JB ROMs for the Fascinate, this is based on the original device file system design (called BML), just like GeeWiz Froyo and Gingerbread were. So it's mandatory that you are either running stock or a stock-like setup (GeeWiz counts) before you install this. I have implemented the "DBDATA" volume similarly to how Samsung did it to keep the device performance as good as possible. It benchmarks very similarly to Gingerbread.

The ROM/Kernel must be used together; you cannot replace the kernel with another one. In order to maintain the stock-like file system and volume layouts, I had to (heavily) modify the GeeWiz 2.8 (Linux 2.6) kernel. Kernels based on Linux 3.x will not work, nor will any other Linux 2.6-based kernels. Sorry.

Known issues:
- No support for device encryption
- Camera is a trainwreck. No flash, previews are out of focus, 720p video recording isn't great, face detect (disabled) crashes. Just avoid it.
- Customized INSTALLD is missing some hacks for DBDATA, none of which seem to be necessary
- Android "ATRACE" support does not work (traces in Developer Options); this requires some additional kernel changes
- Bluetooth Low Power mode is not enabled; not sure what the impact to battery life is
- CPU usage with screen on and otherwise idle is still around 2-4% due to "events/0" process. I would like to reduce that further.
- Google Service Framework loses it mind if you flash anything after it's been set up (common problem not specific to this ROM). If your Wifi indicator never turns blue and you can't get into Play Store or browse web sites, clear data on Google Service Framework and reboot.
- USB Mass Storage mode seems to cause some issues with the device coming out of sleep (message about SystemUI not responding); have not looked into this yet

Notable Features
- Jelly Bean JRO03L with Galaxy Nexus application suite
- Stock volume/partition support, including DBDATA. RFS and EXT4 are supported on all volumes.
- Samsung support replaced with standard Android Mass Storage support; all the weird devices (CD-ROM/Kies) have been removed
- Custom power-button screen options (Reboot/Recovery/Download/Safe Mode)
- Full support for Fascinate Desk Dock audio (and probably Car Dock too) -- enable in Settings/Dock
- Dock Audio treated as a true USB Audio device, enabling automatic switching on/off when docked
- GeeWiz Kernel updated to have some over/underclocking features and better governors -- enable in Settings/Advanced
- Unique (I think) option to allow control over the maximum battery charge and how much discharge is required before a still-plugged-in device will start recharging again. The concept is to lengthen the lifespan of our aging batteries for a device that may very well just sit on a charger all day long for weeks on end!

Prerequisites
- You must be on a stock or stock-like setup, such as GeeWiz 2.8. If you are running an "MTD" ROM, you must revert your device back to stock before you can install this package. Please refer to the instructions provided by the ROM author.
- You need a recovery in place, GeeWiz 2.8 Recovery is fine, that's what I use. I didn't try Clockworkmod, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
- You MUST wipe data before installing this package if you are coming from any other ROM! SDCARD should be ok as-is.
- You agree to not ask me for any damn battery meter mods at least until this has a top-level thread of it's own, OK?

If you don't understand any of the pre-requisites or how to implement them, please wait until I can complete a non-preview release and create a top-level thread for this ROM. It's buried in here for a reason :)

Performance seems OK to me, not spectacular, as is the battery life. I am extremely interested in your thoughts and impressions!

NOTE: I strongly recommend letting the device "settle" after you first install the ROM, there are a lot of things that go on after you wipe data and frankly this device was never designed for Jelly Bean. I've observed it takes a fair amount of time and a couple reboots for it to really calm down and perform as well as it should. It's really quite disappointing at first, but trust me - it improves. You can tinker with the new CPU options in Settings/Advanced too -- I suggest trying out the "SmartAss V2" governor, but I still prefer "OnDemand" as the default!

So, go through setup, update the core apps, get a cup of coffee or a beer (or even perhaps a spot of tea or strawberry milk), reboot it. It will work better afterwards :)

Alright, enough of my incessant djp-babble already ...

GeeWiz 3 Player Preview JRO03L.20120912.133503 [update-zip]: (UPDATED: Does not include Google Earth)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/28s6exw86gg12sl/full_atlas-rom-20120912.133503.zip

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-05.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-11.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-16.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-24.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-31.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-07-40.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-22-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-22-27.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-23-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-23-07.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Update on the Player Preview ... after converting to EXT4 I've had problems and I was unable to re-apply the update-zip with SYSTEM formatted as EXT4. I believe there is an incompatibility with the old GeeWiz Recovery that I used to convert/re-format it. I suggest the RFS file system only until further notice.

If you want to go back to RFS, you have 2 options:

> Use ODIN to re-apply stock, then apply your recovery and flash the update-zip
> Use GeeWiz recovery to "convert file system" to RFS, then wipe data and re-flash the update-zip

Sorry. I knew this wasn't quite ready yet. My bad.

scarfman4

Jan 19, 2011
Boy you have been busy djp. Unfortunately I still have until Oct 1 before I can upgrade and I depend on my phone for now. But once I decide what phone I want to replace it with I would be happy to help test. This looks really cool.

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Boy you have been busy djp. Unfortunately I still have until Oct 1 before I can upgrade and I depend on my phone for now. But once I decide what phone I want to replace it with I would be happy to help test. This looks really cool.

Thanks! Hopefully it will "ready" by then! This version is OK, but I'm more than a little embarrassed I never tried EXT4 and it screwed everything up. Something to do next week, right? There's also always deploying exclusively with ODIN to force RFS until I can find out what went so horribly wrong there :)

@djp952 you're awesome man :D

would you include the voice call and data in the future?

Actually, I branched the baseline tonight into "atlas" and "atlas3g" to investigate exactly that. My concern is that the performance is too bad for a daily-use phone, and of course I have a bit of a snafu in that I have no activated Fascinates left other than my wife's to test on, so we'll see how that goes. Can't promise, but I am taking a crack at it. I think the limited ability to test will be the bigger of the problems.

Reactions: swapnilss

swapnilss

Sep 9, 2008
mumbai
I'll have to sit & wait on the fence till this a fully functional Rom (with voice and data) as i have no substitute phone for my daily use. I'll be happy to help you djp with feedback after that..

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Hi everyone. I found the problem with the Player Preview and EXT4 ... the ROM simply doesn't fit. I'm working to remove enough to get it working. It almost fits.

When I tested yesterday, I converted from RFS to EXT4 rather installing clean, which is why I started running into weird issues as files were missing from SYSTEM.

I've pulled the link for now, and will re-post something new once I have a solution. All I think I need to do is get rid of Google Earth - LOL. It's only in there because it's stock on the Galaxy Nexus.

edit: Fixed by removing Google Earth. The ROM now fits on an EXT4-formatted SYSTEM volume and so far is behaving normally, perhaps even a bit snappier thanks to EXT4.

GeeWiz 3 Player Preview JRO03L.20120912.133503 [update-zip]:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/28s6exw86gg12sl/full_atlas-rom-20120912.133503.zip

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaptinkrunk

JJ5150

Oct 16, 2011
Great work, now I know what to use when I upgrade my phone. Any chance of getting the geewiz kernel oc by itself... for geewiz and for us still using the fascinate as our main driver?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

Last edited:

bmeek

Jun 2, 2007
This sounds like a fun project but I've always been curious about the desire for a player version of a rom, with the phone and wireless data functions surgically removed, vs. any other rom in Airplane mode with Wi-Fi turned on.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the disadvantages of the latter?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GEEWIZ 2.9.2 SCH-I500 EH03 GINGERBREAD ROM/KERNEL/RECOVERY

RETIRED -- GEEWIZ 2.9.2 IS THE FINAL RELEASE OF GEEWIZ GINGERBREAD

Thank you all so much for your support over the past couple years with both this and the original GeeWiz Froyo project. It's been my pleasure to share it with you, and I invite anyone still keeping their Fascinate around to have a look at my newer projects listed below, as well as "GeeWiz Media" (A Wifi-only version for deactivated devices), which is also available here at XDA Developers. When I finally give up on this device and move on, I hope to be able to find a new niche where I can continue to contribute something to the XDA community... --djp952

OTHER AVAILABLE GEEWIZ VERSIONS:
    GeeWiz 4 - AOSP Jelly Bean 4.2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2088224

GeeWiz 2.9.2 is the Gingerbread version of GeeWiz based on the EH03 Verizon Fascinate ROM and Kernel. The goal of GeeWiz is to provide a clean and stable environment for the Verizon Fascinate Galaxy S device. GeeWiz doesn't provide a lot of bells and whistles, nor does it provide all the latest and greatest tweaks and enhancements developed by the community. What it does provide is my particular vision of the way Samsung and Verizon should have delivered this device to us.

I recommend you flash your device back to stock EH03 before installing this ROM/Kernel/Recovery. None of the components have been tested on a device that has been modified far from stock. If you need EH03, please refer to nitsuj17's post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1349895)

Installing this ROM/Kernel/Recovery or any other provided component(s) will void your device's warranty, and I cannot be held responsible for any damages of any kind (including data loss) that are incurred either directly or indirectly by these packages and components. What you do to your device is ultimately your problem!

FEATURES

SYSTEM ROM 2.9.2
    • Base: SCH-I500 EH03 VZW
    • Deodexed; Debloated
    • BusyBox v1.19.4
    • sqlite v3.6.22
    • AppWidgetPicker v1.2.3 (Boombuler)
    • SpareParts v2.3.5
    • Superuser v3.1.3 (ChainsDD)
    • su binary v3.0.3.2 (ChainsDD)
    • Samsung Keypad v2.3.5
    • Google Search v1.3.3.247963
    • Google Maps v6.14.2
    • Google Maps Street View v1.8.1.2
    • Google Play Music v4.4.811H.526848
    • Google+ v3.3.1.40177215
    • Google Play Store v3.10.10
    • Google Play Services v2.0.12 (543433-10)
    • GMail v2.3.6
    • Google Play Books v2.7.24
    • Google Drive v1.1.470.15
    • Google Translate v2.5.3
    • YouTube v4.2.16
    • Google Voice Search v2.1.4
    • Apply distinct multi-touch permissions fix
    • Replace LiveWallpaper pack with APK from Nexus S
    • [MOD] build.prop: Use default EI20 media files (ringtone/notifications/etc)
    • [MOD] services: use /system/wallpaper/default_wallpaper/default_wallpaper.jpg as default wallpaper
    • [MOD] services: Disable pending LED/BLN notifications when screen turns on
    • [MOD] DeskCradle: Change Voice Search to invoke Google Voice Search
    • [MOD] DeskCradle: Change Search button action to invoke Google Search instead of Bing Search
    • [MOD] SystemUI: Remove full battery notification
    • [MOD] SystemUI: Remove Location-Based Services (LBS) icon from status bar
    • [MOD] framework-res: Use battery meter and images from AOSP 2.3.5
    • [MOD] framework-res: Enable CRT screen off animation (nitsuj17) and slow-blur effect
    • [MOD] MusicPlayer: Localize strings for US English
    • [MOD] MusicPlayer: Disable "Download from V cast" prompt when no media exists
    • [MOD] Camera: Remap power button to trigger the shutter
    • [MOD] DialerTabActivity: Change Visual Voice Mail button to dial regular voice mail
    • [MOD] CarCradle: Change Bing application targets to Google application targets
    • [MOD] JobManager: Don't hide Google Maps, Magic Smoke Wallpaper or Clock from Task Manager
    • [MOD] JobManager: Hide various popular launchers from Task Manager
    • [MOD] AxT9IME: Remove keypress sound from Samsung Keypad
    • [MOD] android.policy: Stop boot animation services at the proper time
    • [MOD] android.policy/framework/framework-res: Add Reboot and Recovery options to pop-up menu
    • [MOD] Settings/framework-res: Show full kernel version and mod/rom version in About Phone
    • [MOD] SettingsProvider: Change default Transition Animation Speed to "Fast" (50%)
    • [MOD] SettingsProvider: Set default USB mode to 'Ask on connection'
    • [MOD] SettingsProvider: Don't disable wifi in airplane mode
    • [MOD] TwWallpaperChooser: Add some additional wallpapers
    • [MOD] liblights: Custom lights.s5pc110.so module for SCH-I500 BLN support (neldar/djp952)
    • [MOD] framework/services/Settings/SettingsProvider: Add new 'Charger Activation' option to Settings/Sound
    • [MOD] Browser: Replace EH03 Browser with EI20 Browser
    • [MOD] TouchWiz30Launcher: Replace EH03 Launcher with EI20 Launcher
    • [MOD] Bluetooth A2DP audio enhancements from CyanogenMod (Zong00/CyanogenMod)
    • [MOD/EXTRA] GW Kernel Settings Application
    • [UPDATE-ZIP] Custom MOUNTVOL tool that allows update to work with both RFS and EXT4 volumes
    • [UPDATE-ZIP] Dalvik-Cache automatically cleared after update of SYSTEM
    • [UPDATE-ZIP] Auto-Rotate configuration file automatically deleted after update; prevents screen rotation lock

KERNEL 2.9
    • Base: SCH-I500 EH03 linux-2.6.35.7
    • Compiled with Android 2.3.5 arm-eabi- toolchain
    • Root shell enabled
    • Busybox 1.19.4 preinstalled to /xbin
    • EXT4 file system support (no automatic conversion from RFS, but you can do it manually with GeeWiz Recovery)
    • GT-I9000 BCM4329 wireless driver (djp952)
    • WiFi Hotspot Monitoring completely removed (djp952)
    • Overwrite of RECOVERY partition during boot removed (djp952)
    • Default I/O scheduler set to DEADLINE (djp952)
    • Voodoo Sound v10 (supercurio/ccampos784)
    • Flashlight LED support (imoseyon)
    • Animation Chooser service [see above notes] (djp952)
    • Remove OEM battery authorization check (djp952)
    • Fix in-call volume (kangtastic); fix speakerphone microphone issue with in-call fix (djp952)
    • Automatically start recharging battery at 98% while plugged in and discharging (djp952)
    • Improved EXT4 file system Quadrant Benchmark scores (waldothecat)
    • Backlight Notification (BLN) v9 driver (neldar)
    • 15-second touchkey backlight timer (djp952)
    • Configurable touch-key timeout (djp952)
    • Configurable in-call volume boost (djp952)
    • Selectable Interactive / InteractiveX / SmartassV2 Governors
    • Support for 1.1GHz / 1.2GHz overclocking
    • Configurable maximum battery SOC (state of charge) / Recharge Point

RECOVERY 2.8
    • Base: SCH-I500 EH03 linux-2.6.35.7 / Android 2.3.5 Recovery
    • Busybox 1.19.4 preinstalled to /xbin
    • Includes symbolic link /sbin/mount->/xbin/busybox for better compatibility with non-GW update-zip packages
    • 15-second touchkey backlight timer
    • See below for more details

CREDITS
    At this point, it would be almost silly to try and list out all the individuals that have helped me along the way or posted their work for public consumption and reference. I try my best to give credit in the release notes and version history, but I've almost certainly omitted important people. I've pulled the named credits and instead will go with a very general thank you to all the developers, testers and end users that I've interacted with during this project. I wouldn't have gotten very far without everyone's assistance and feedback.

ANIMATION CHOOSER SERVICE
    The GeeWiz Kernel has a custom service called Animation Chooser that decides at boot time whether to show you the stock Samsung animation or a custom boot animation

- If a custom boot animation zip is located at /system/media/sanim.zip, that will override the stock Samsung animation
    - If neither a custom boot animation nor the stock Samsung animation is found, it will default to a basic "ANDROID" boot animation
    - This service is currently unique to the GeeWiz Kernel, please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about it and how it works

MAIN DOWNLOADS

EDIFY Update-Zip (ClockworkMod / GeeWiz Recovery) Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz 2.9.2 ROM (EDIFY Update-Zip)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/81epjiu1uyw1tdi/geewiz-2.9.2-system-01082013.zip
    MD5: 266a17e0980051e189d65008ca5d1fb6

GeeWiz 2.9 Kernel (EDIFY Update-Zip)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/700wb8a74c78w25/geewiz-2.9-kernel-09272012.zip
    MD5: 6e51b8178fc1e7d22a353fbd428d9cd1

GeeWiz 2.8 Recovery (EDIFY Update-Zip)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/dbvlf9415n5xpsj/geewiz-2.8-recovery-04162012.zip
    MD5: 9869d3138279d99f1237a442f7573cad

ODIN Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz 2.9.2 ROM/Kernel/Modem/Recovery/Data Wipe Full Update (ODIN)
    WARNING: This will delete all user data from your device, replace your RECOVERY with GeeWiz Recovery as well as replace your modem with the EH03 revision.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/9epeppiy0z88553/geewiz-2.9.2-fullwipe-01082013.tar.md5
    MD5: e9ace61be7aab15f9a362ddc763fbf7f

GeeWiz 2.9.2 ROM (ODIN)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/usoa9k319a66sxd/geewiz-2.9.2-system-01082013.tar.md5
    MD5: 082d1641363ce132c220f20d587c2e8b

GeeWiz 2.9 Kernel (ODIN)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/7pp2qt7lbtxbsb3/geewiz-2.9-kernel-09272012.tar.md5
    MD5: 280e9d1d5caf1f993dc5a016b4d23695

GeeWiz 2.8 Recovery (ODIN)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/tmzpsqjn23pyeea/geewiz-2.8-recovery-04162012.tar.md5
    MD5: b70d4063dffaa9cd89629f307d3beae5

EXTRAS

Kernel Settings App

GeeWiz 2.9 Kernel Settings (EDIFY Update-Zip)
    - Compatible with GeeWiz 2.9 (with GeeWiz kernel)
    - Provides access to all custom GeeWiz kernel settings (see post below for more information)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/y66yoy06rufcc5d/geewiz-2.9-atlasparts-09282012.zip
    MD5: 9fcef1a965080e4cfc814667f66d5ab7

Enhancement Packs

GeeWiz EI20 Enhancement Pack (EDIFY update-zip)
    This update rolls up the various individual EI20 enhancements below into a single update-zip
    - Compatible with GeeWiz 2.3 - 2.9
    - Includes: EI20 Boot Animations, EI20 Browser, EI20 Car Cradle, EI20 Desk Cradle and EI20 TouchWiz Launcher
    - Note: EI20 Browser and EI20 TouchWiz Launcher are included by default in GeeWiz 2.7+, but this update can still be applied
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3g3zqvafz5fgjrc/geewiz-2.x-ei20enhancementpack-02032012.zip
    MD5: 3ee55a24ef7a77d6a45c1cbc538e674b

Individual Extras

GeeWiz EI20 Boot Animations (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update replaces the Verizon Startup/Shutdown animations and audio with the generic Samsung versions from the EI20 ROM.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/q792avlod8kq3r8/geewiz-2.x-ei20animations-02032012.zip
    MD5: ef8ee1d14079564ac1ce73e7a2f7caa4

GeeWiz rxwookie BIOS boot animation [requires GeeWiz Kernel] (EDIFY update-zip):
    NOTE: To uninstall, delete /system/media/sanim.zip
    This update adds a custom boot animation from rxwookie that looks like a PC BIOS boot then uses a custom Galaxy S animated logo
    - Compatible with GeeWiz 2.3 - 2.9 (with GeeWiz kernel)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/0xodvkldc6gt0pq/geewiz-2.x-rxwookiebiosanim-04222012.zip
    MD5: 60df56fa997dd63fe922d2ead60f8817

GeeWiz rxwookie BIOS-DROID boot animation [requires GeeWiz Kernel] (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update adds a custom boot animation from rxwookie that looks like a PC BIOS boot then uses a custom droid animated logo
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/9yzhi9nb4rdg7uw/geewiz-2.x-rxwookiedroidanim-04222012.zip
    MD5: 8e4d142492469a90a64cc109766b81f5

GeeWiz rxwookie GOTROOT boot animation [requires GeeWiz Kernel] (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update adds a custom boot animation from rxwookie that displays a got root? logo and even says "GeeWiz" at the bottom
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/c99aicbjx0zdh45/geewiz-2.x-rxwookiegotrootanim-04222012.zip
    MD5: 44dfcdf18f540f2f7a942383355a9809

GeeWiz EI20 Cradles (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update replaces the EH03 Car and Desk Cradle applications with the ones from EI20
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/aa3dhta3o4bkui8/geewiz-2.x-ei20cradles-02032012.zip
    MD5: eda0a023fe92dd2c8c169192a46c4ae2

GeeWiz Nuance Voice Commands (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update adds back the Nuance Voice Commands application that was removed from the base ROM
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/yqlwts80q83u7n1/geewiz-2.x-nuance-02032012.zip
    MD5: 80a17ee95faa1cefb08a871c0dfae107

GeeWiz Remove Screen Capture Service (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update removes the Screen Capture Service from the base ROM
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/frdbdptpljdq43k/geewiz-2.x-removescreencapture-02032012.zip
    MD5: edd858f1f2d3badeaf6a62f9bb2d9e28

GeeWiz Samsung Widgets (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update adds back the Samsung widgets removed from the base ROM
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/o4pltybblr1d3y2/geewiz-2.x-samsungwidgets-02032012.zip
    MD5: 564e66d9d6820ead11d1cc02723fccdd

GeeWiz sbrissen Accurate Battery Meter (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update replaces the AOSP battery meter and graphics with the sbrissen Froyo meter and graphics
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/gcz55bzwyenb1j2/geewiz-2.x-sbrissenbatterymeter-02032012.zip
    MD5: ed6fe6e5fb06c470ec6eaf9fa8b372a8

GeeWiz Stock Battery Meter (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update replaces the AOSP battery meter and graphics with the original EH03 Froyo-style meter and graphics
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/xw980i5nk72l6i9/geewiz-2.x-stockbatterymeter-01082013.zip
    MD5: d69dee4c8843b0032c39973ee2134bd5

GeeWiz Fightspit SuperCircle "D" (Blue) Battery Meter (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update replaces the AOSP battery meter and graphics with the Fightspit SuperCircle "D" meter and graphics
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/c392nh3uhwtxn9h/geewiz-2.x-supercircledmeter-04222012.zip
    MD5: 5c95798262944a7cb19dee5c2ece5164

GeeWiz Fightspit SuperCircle "F" (Green) Battery Meter (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update replaces the AOSP battery meter and graphics with the Fightspit SuperCircle "F" meter and graphics
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/9y4mlu8937f6mpd/geewiz-2.x-supercirclefmeter-04222012.zip
    MD5: 51f59572116476e3518bb107112b6d87

GeeWiz Swype Keyboard (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update adds back the Swype keyboard removed from the base ROM
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/xnkdcvx1ulok0hd/geewiz-2.x-swype-02032012.zip
    MD5: 1e677f65568ba5d6a6c5ad20b83d8284

GeeWiz TAT Live Wallpapers (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update adds back the 'TAT' Live Wallpapers removed from the base ROM as well as the 'Beach' and 'Forest' Live Wallpapers from the Droid Charge
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/5tbw73y87c9mszr/geewiz-2.x-tatwallpapers-02032012.zip
    MD5: bdb4ec390da3a28cd920bb5a5a2c1e43

SOURCE CODE
    All Source Code for the GeeWiz Kernel, Recovery and ROM Modifications are publicly available on github. Explanation as to how to compile them or what tools you need to compile them are beyond the scope of this post, but please feel free to contact me if you give it a try and run into difficulties. (hint: start with build.sh or build-mods.sh and see what happens, it might even work!).

Kernel/Recovery/Platform Code: https://github.com/djp952/sch-i500-gingerbread
    ROM File Modifications Code: https://github.com/djp952/sch-i500-mods
    GeeWiz Gingerbread Recovery

Background
    GeeWiz Recovery is the project I started working on back in the day before trying to get into ROMs at all. I wanted to learn some of the ins and outs of Android/Linux development, but am also one of those annoying "non-Java" guys. Playing around with Kernels and ultimately a Recovery system was a much more comfortable fit for me.

Like all things I seem to try to do, it doesn't have extreme ambitions for cool new things never seen before, it's just supposed to do what it claims to do and do those things well. When compared with something like ClockworkMod, for example, it is a rather limited toolset. That said, I think it also can suit the needs of most folks that are just looking for a tool that will allow them to install updates, create and restore volume backups, properly wipe their devices, or convert from the RFS filesystem to EXT4 (so far anyway!)

GeeWiz Recovery is based on the Android AOSP 2.3.5 Recovery code and is not a derivative work of any other recovery. Many features are undeniably common, and I would be lying if I claimed I didn't need to look at projects like ClockworkMOD for assistance on more than one occasion. GeeWiz recovery is specifically written for the STOCK Samsung SCH-I500 (Fascinate/Mesmerize) device and cannot be properly used on any other devices without modifications. This tool also cannot be properly used on SCH-I500 devices that have been converted to "MTD" (CyangoenMOD, MIUI, etc).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> NAVIGATION <<

VOLUME UP: Move menu item selection bar up
    VOLUME DOWN: Move menu item selection bar down
    MENU: Go back to previous menu
    HOME: Go back to main menu
    BACK: Select highlighted menu item
    SEARCH: No operation

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> MENUS <<

MAIN MENU

Install Update Package - Opens an SDCARD file browser and allows you to select an Update-Zip package to be installed to your device
    Wipe Device Data - Shows the Wipe Device Data Menu
    Manage Volumes - Shows the Manage Volumes Menu
    Tools - Shows the Tools Menu
    Exit - Exits recovery and reboots the device

WIPE DEVICE DATA MENU

Wipe Cache - Wipes (formats) the CACHE volume of the device
    Wipe Dalvik Cache - Wipes (deletes) the DALVIK-CACHE from the device. Use this option after flashing any non GeeWiz ROM to your device (GW does it automatically)
    Wipe Battery Statistics - Wipes (deletes) the battery statistics file from the device. Use this option with a fully charged battery to reset your battery meter.
    Wipe all user Data (Factory Reset) - Executes a Factory Reset operation. All user data not on the SDCARD will be deleted, and all data volumes will be formatted. This option will reformat data volumes with either RFS or EXT4, depending on what file system is already in place. To convert file systems, please see MANAGE VOLUMES MENU below.

MANAGE VOLUMES MENU

Mount Volumes - Allows you to specifically mount a device volume by name. This operation is not required for other Recovery operations, they will automatically mount or unmount volumes as needed
    Unmount Volumes - Allows you to specifically unmount a device volume by name. This operation is not required for other Recovery operations, they will automatically mount or unmount volumes as needed
    Backup Volumes - Allows you to generate a backup of a device volume by name. Please see BACKUP/RESTORE below for more details.
    Restore Volumes - Allows you to restore a volume from a backup generated by this Recovery. Please see BACKUP/RESTORE below for more details.
    Convert Volumes - Allows you to convert device volumes to and from the RFS and EXT4 file systems. Volumes with only one valid target file system are not shown in this list.
    Format Volumes - Allows you to format device volumes with either the RFS or EXT4 file systems. Volumes with more than one valid target file system will prompt with an additional selector to allow you to choose the desired file system.

TOOLS MENU

Restart ADBD Service - Restarts the Android Debug Bridge (ADBD) service. Select this option if you are having difficulty connecting to the device through ADB while Recovery is running

>> BACKUP/RESTORE <<

This version of GeeWiz Recovery allows you to back up and restore the individual volumes of the device to the SDCARD, using a handful of different formats. Currently, the destination location of these backups on the SDCARD is fixed as /sdcard/backup/volume and cannot be changed. Future versions of GeeWiz recovery will provide for complete device backup/restore operations.

BACKUP FILE NAMES/FORMATS

When generating a volume backup, you will be prompted to choose from one of four different formats, which are listed below. All backup files will be generated with the filename format of VOLUME-YYYYMMDD[-N].EXT, where VOLUME is the volume name, YYYYMMDD is the current date, -N is an optional unique number used to differentiate between multiple backups made on the same day, and EXT is the default file extension for the selected backup type and compression setting. (Currently compression cannot be disabled)

EXT4 IMAGE [.ximg/.ximg.gz] - This option will generate an EXT4 image of the selected volume. These images can be used to create volume images that can be mounted and manipulated on other Linux systems. The generated image (uncompressed) will be of equal size to the source volume.

EXT4 SPARSE IMAGE [.simg/.szimg] - This option will generate a 'Sparse' EXT4 image of the selected volume. These images are similar to a full EXT4 image, but are only as large as the data on the volume requires. An android tool called simg2img is required to convert these back into a standard EXT4 image before they can be used on other Linux systems. When compression is enabled (.szimg files), a custom tool is required to unpack them into standard EXT4 images; this tool is available upon request, however I did contribute the necessary code changes back to AOSP with the hopes it will someday be included in Android.

RAW DUMP [.img/.img.gz] - This option will create a raw dump image file from the selected volume. If the volume is EXT4, the output is very similar to an uncompressed EXT4 IMAGE. If the volume is RFS, this image becomes an ODIN-compatible dump of the volume.

YAFFS2 IMAGE [.yimg/.yimg.gz] - This option creates a YAFFS2 image file from the selected volume extremely similar to, if not identical to, the backup files made by ClockworkMOD Recovery. These images are used for general-purpose backup and restore needs; they provide the fastest means of backing up and restoring a device volume. GeeWiz Recovery uses this format internally when converting volume file systems to provide the fastest possible conversion.

It is not necessary to know what format was used to generate a backup when it's being restored or if it has been compressed or not. The restore code will automatically determine this, and can successfully restore any format listed above. Backup files generated by other means or recovery systems are not guaranteed to be able to be restored with GeeWiz Recovery.

>> INSTALLATION <<

GeeWiz Recovery can either be installed by flashing it directly with ODIN or if you already have an Edify-compatible custom Recovery like ClockworkMod installed you can use that as well. Install it as you would any flash update with these tools, I wouldn't dream of being able to provide better direction than what already exists out here on the Internet for using them.

Download links for GeeWiz Recovery are included as part of the main post above, and will be maintained/updated in that post.

>> SOURCE CODE <<

All Source Code for GeeWiz recovery is included as part of my SCH-I500 Gingerbread Kernel GIT. Explanation as to how to compile it or what tools you need to compile are beyond the scope of this post, but please feel free to contact me if you give it a try and run into difficulties. (hint: start with build.sh and see if it works!). Enterprising types that see I also have a Froyo version out there, please be warned it's not up to date and exposes some potentially harmful functionality. This GB version was sanitized a bit.

https://github.com/djp952/sch-i500-gingerbread

>> REUSE <<

If anyone finds this recovery of value and would like to include it their SCH-I500 ROMs or KERNELs, please feel free to do so. Link back here, include it in your updates, compile your own and change the menu colors to purple, whatever you want to do with it is fine with me. If you want to mention my name, that'd be cool, but is certainly not a requirement of any kind. If I didn't want it to be used, I wouldn't have posted all the source code (so far) to github!!
    GeeWiz Gingerbread Version History

NOTE: Obsolete downloads are available upon request only; please PM me. I will no longer be linking to older versions in this post

Version History

---------------------------------------------------------------
    GEEWIZ 2.0 (ALPHA / BETA)

GeeWiz 2.0 (Alpha) - 09.27.2011
    Base: SCH-I500 EH09 ACG
    - Removed most bloatware (way too much to list individually)
    - busybox 1.18.4 (Denys Vlasenko/djp952)
    - SuperUser/su-binary 2.3.6.1 (ChainsDD)
    - AppWidgetPicker 1.2.3 (boombuler)
    - Adobe Flash Player 10.3.186.7
    - Android AOSP SpareParts 2.3.4
    - Google Books 1.4.4
    - Google Maps 5.10.0
    - Google Market 3.1.5
    - Google Search 1.1.2.64376
    - Google Voice Search 2.1.4
    - Gmail 2.3.5
    - Samsung Nexus S LiveWallpaper pack
    - YouTube 2.2.16
    - [MOD] Remove all default Browser bookmarks; set homepage to about:blank (djp952)
    - [MOD] Add Reboot and Recovery to power button long-press menu (djp952)
    - [MOD] Default TouchWiz wallpaper defaults to "Nexus" (djp952)
    - [MOD] Localize Music Player strings for U.S. English (djp952)
    - [MOD] Remove known defective battery history option from SpareParts (djp952)
    - [MOD] USCC MMS app with Verizon settings (ccampos784)
    - [UPDATE-ZIP] Custom MOUNTVOL tool that allows update to work with both RFS and EXT4 volumes (djp952)
    - [UPDATE-ZIP] Dalvik-Cache automatically cleared after update of SYSTEM
    - [UPDATE-ZIP] Auto-Rotate configuration file automatically deleted after update; prevents screen rotation lock

GeeWiz Kernel 2.0 (Alpha) - 09.27.2011
    Base: SCH-I500 EH09 linux-2.6.35.7
    - Compiled with 2010.09 armeabi toolchain
    - Root shell enabled
    - EXT4 file system support (does not provide you with a way to convert to EXT4, however)
    - GT-I9000 BCM4329 wireless driver (djp952)
    - WiFi Hotspot Monitoring completely removed
    - Overwrite of RECOVERY partition during boot removed
    - Default I/O scheduler set to DEADLINE

GeeWiz 2.0 (Alpha) - 10.03.2011
    Base: SCH-I500 EI20 ACG
    - Gmail 2.3.5.2
    - [MOD] Camera app power button functions as shutter button (djp952)
    - [MOD] Google Maps, Magic Smoke Wallpaper and Dual Clock apps are not hidden in Task Manager (djp952)
    - [MOD] Hide popular launchers from Task Manager (djp952)
    - [MOD] Add Lockscreen selection back to Display Settings (NOTE: doesn't work) (djp952)
    - [FIX] Fix Music Player issues from EH09 ALPHA

GeeWiz 2.0 (Beta) - 10.09.2011
    - Adobe Flash Player 11.0.1.152
    - Google Books 1.4.5
    - Superuser 3.0.2 / su binary 3.0 (chainsDD)
    - [MOD] Puzzle Lock screen works properly; can switch between Glass and Puzzle in Settings/Display Settings (djp952)
    - [MOD] CDMA Network Name / Status Bar drop-down properly indicates "Verizon Wireless" (djp952)
    - [MOD] Remove full battery notification / status bar icon (djp952)

GeeWiz Kernel 2.0 (Beta) - 10.09.2011
    - Voodoo Sound 10 (supercurio/ccampos784)

GeeWiz 2.0 (Beta) - 10.12.2011
    - Superuser 3.0.4 / su binary 3.0 (chainsDD)
    - [MOD] EI20 MMS Application ported for Verizon Wireless (djp952)
    - [MOD] Add TouchWiz 4.5 Launcher to Task Manager exclusions (djp952)

GeeWiz Kernel 2.0 (Beta) - 10.12.2011
    - Flashlight LED support (imoseyon)
    - Port Animation Chooser service from Froyo kernel (djp952)

GEEWIZ 2.1

GeeWiz 2.1 ROM - 10.13.2011
    - Busybox 1.19.2 (Denys Vlasenko/djp952)
    - Superuser 3.0.5 / su binary 3.0 (chainsDD)
    - Fix permissions for Google Maps multi-touch actions (Samsung)
    - Remove Adobe FlashPlayer due to issues pre-installing it. Download from Market.
    - [MOD] CRT screen off animation (nitsuj17) [Note: requires "Window Animations" set to Normal in SpareParts]

GeeWiz 2.1 Kernel - 10.13.2011
    - Fix EXT4 volume mounting bug due to typo in init.rc file
    - BusyBox 1.19.2 preinstalled to /xbin
    - [MOD] ADBD connections use busybox shell instead of default shell

GeeWiz 2.1 Recovery - 10.13.2011
    Base: SCH-I500 EH09 linux-2.6.35.7 / Android Recovery 2.3.4
    - Initial Release

GEEWIZ 2.2

GeeWiz 2.2 ROM - 11.20.2011
    - Busybox 1.19.3 (Denys Vlasenko/djp952)
    - Superuser 3.0.6 / su binary 3.0.3 (chainsDD)
    - Google Maps 5.12.0
    - Android Market 3.3.11
    - Google Books 1.4.6
    - YouTube 2.3.4

GeeWiz 2.2 Kernel - 11.20.2011
    Base: SCH-I500 EI20 linux-2.6.35.7
    - BusyBox 1.19.3
    - [MOD] Remove OEM battery check (djp952)
    - [MOD] Increase in-call volume (kangtastic); fix speakerphone mode microphone (djp952)
    - [MOD] Automatically recharge battery after drain from 100% to 95% on charger (djp952)

GeeWiz 2.2 Recovery - 11.20.2011
    Base: SCH-I500 EI20 linux-2.6.35.7 / Android Recovery 2.3.5
    - BusyBox 1.19.3

GEEWIZ 2.3

GeeWiz 2.3 ROM - 11.30.2011
    - New Base: Verizon Wireless EH03
    - Deodexed; Debloated
    - BusyBox v1.19.3
    - sqlite v3.6.22
    - AppWidgetPicker v1.2.3 (Boombuler)
    - SpareParts v2.3.5
    - Superuser v3.0.7 (ChainsDD)
    - su binary v3.0.3 (ChainsDD)
    - Samsung Keypad v2.3.5
    - Google Maps v6.0.0
    - Google Music v4.0.9
    - Google+ v2.1.1.219805
    - Android Market to v3.3.11
    - GMail to v2.3.5.2
    - Google Books to v1.4.6
    - Youtube to v2.3.4
    - Voice Search to v2.1.4
    - Street View to v1.7.1.0
    - Distinct multi-touch permissions fix
    - LiveWallpaper pack from Nexus S
    - [MOD] build.prop: Use default EI20 media files (ringtone/notifications/etc)
    - [MOD] services: Change default wallpaper to "Nexus"
    - [MOD] Browser: Remove all default bookmarks
    - [MOD] Browser: Set homepage to about:blank
    - [MOD] Browser: Allow deletion/edit of all bookmarks
    - [MOD] Browser: Set default search engine to Google
    - [MOD] Browser: Fix Smart URL Filter so all search engines (google/yahoo/bing) work
    - [MOD] DeskCradle: Change Voice Search to invoke Google Voice Search
    - [MOD] SystemUI: Remove full battery notification
    - [MOD] framework-res: Use battery images from EI20 ROM
    - [MOD] framework-res: Enable CRT screen off animation (nitsuj17) and slow-blur effect
    - [MOD] MusicPlayer: Localize strings for US English
    - [MOD] MusicPlayer: Disable "Download from V cast" prompt when no media exists
    - [MOD] Camera: Remap power button to trigger the shutter
    - [MOD] DialerTabActivity: Change Visual Voice Mail button to dial regular voice mail
    - [MOD] CarCradle: Change Bing application targets to Google application targets
    - [MOD] JobManager: Don't hide Google Maps, Magic Smoke Wallpaper or Clock from Task Manager
    - [MOD] JobManager: Hide various popular launchers from Task Manager
    - [MOD] AxT9IME: Remove keypress sound from Samsung Keypad
    - [MOD] TouchWiz30Launcher: Modify default home screen layout and application order
    - [MOD] android.policy: Stop boot animation services at the proper time
    - [MOD] android.policy/framework/framework-res: Add Reboot and Recovery options to pop-up menu
    - [MOD] SettingsProvider: Change default Transition Animation Speed to "Fast" (50%)

GeeWiz 2.3 Kernel - 11.30.2011
    Base: SCH-I500 EI20 linux-2.6.35.7
    - Update in-built modules and init.rc from EH03 initramfs

GeeWiz 2.3 Recovery - 11.30.2011
    Base: SCH-I500 EI20 linux-2.6.35.7 / Android Recovery 2.3.5
    - Update in-built modules and init.rc from EH03 initramfs

GeeWiz 2.4

December 27, 2011

GeeWiz 2.4 ROM - 12.27.2011
    • Google Docs v1.0.30
    • Google Translate v2.3
    • Android Market v3.4.4
    • Google Books v1.5.2
    • Google Maps v6.0.3
    • Google+ v2.3.0.240337
    • Google Music v4.1.511
    • [MOD] SystemUI: Remove location-based services (LBS) icon from status bar
    • [MOD] framework-res: Use battery meter and images from Gingerbread AOSP 2.3.5
    • [MOD] TouchWiz30Launcher: Modify default app tray layout for new apps; remove all icons from default Workspace 3
    GeeWiz 2.4 Kernel - 12.27.2011
    • Recompiled against latest Android SDK/NDK sources and tools
    GeeWiz 2.4 Recovery - 12.27.2011
    • Recompiled against latest Android SDK/NDK sources and tools

GeeWiz 2.4.2

December 29, 2011

GeeWiz 2.4.2 ROM - 12.29.2011
    • No changes
    GeeWiz 2.4.2 Kernel - 12.29.2011
    • Merged code changes from official Samsung EH03 kernel
    • Resolves Google Maps touchscreen lock-up issue
    • Resolves Custom Kernel EH03 LOGCAT issue
    GeeWiz 2.4.2 Recovery - 12.29.2011
    • Merged code changes from official Samsung EH03 kernel
    • Resolves Custom Kernel EH03 LOGCAT issue

GeeWiz 2.5

January 22, 2012

GeeWiz 2.5 ROM - 1.22.2012
    • Fixed issue with Google+ messaging (missing library file)
    • Updated Google Maps to v6.1.1
    • Updated Google+ to v2.3.1.242969
    • Updated Google Search to v1.3.3.247963
    • Updated Google Translate to v2.3.1
    • Updated SuperUser su binary to v3.0.3.2
    • [MOD] services: use /system/wallpaper/default_wallpaper/default_wallpaper.jpg as default wallpaper
    • [MOD] services: remove charging connected sound/vibrate
    • [MOD] TwWallpaperChooser: Add some additional wallpapers
    GeeWiz 2.5 Kernel - 1.22.2012
    • Add EXT4 filesystem tweak to DATA partition mount options in init.rc to improve Quadrant Scores (waldothecat)
    • Change auto-recharge point to 98% from 95% (note: charging begins between 98% and 97%)
    GeeWiz 2.5 Recovery - 1.22.2012
    • Add Convert File System option; allows for full-device conversion to/from RFS/EXT4
    • Add symbolic link /sbin/mount->/xbin/busybox; improves compatibility with non-GW update-zip packages

GeeWiz 2.6

February 3, 2012

GeeWiz 2.6 ROM - 2.3.2012
    • Updated Google Maps to v6.2.0
    • Updated Google Music to v4.1.512
    • Updated Google Docs to v1.0.43
    • [MOD] liblights: Custom lights.s5pc110.so module for SCH-I500 BLN support (neldar/djp952)
    • [MOD] services: Disable pending LED/BLN notifications when screen turns on
    • [MOD] SettingsProvider: Set default USB mode to 'Ask on connection'
    • [MOD] Settings: Show full kernel version and mod/rom version in About Phone
    • [MOD] framework/services/Settings/SettingsProvider: Add new 'Charger Activation' option to Settings/Sound
    GeeWiz 2.6 Kernel - 2.3.2012
    • Add BLN support (disabled by default; enable with BLN Control or an init.d script) (neldar/djp952)
    GeeWiz 2.6 Recovery - 2.3.2012
    • No changes

GeeWiz 2.7

March 29, 2012

GeeWiz 2.7 ROM - 3.29.2012
    • Updated BusyBox to v1.19.4
    • Updated Google Docs to v1.0.54
    • Updated Google Maps to v6.5.0
    • Updated Google Play Books to v1.5.4
    • Updated Google Play Music to v4.1.513
    • Updated Google Play Store to v3.5.15
    • Updated Google+ to v2.4.1.271037
    • Updated YouTube to v2.4.4
    • [MOD] Replace EH03 TouchWiz30Launcher with EI20 version (previously was a GeeWiz 'extra')
    • [MOD] Replace EH03 Browser with EI20 version (previously was a GeeWiz 'extra')
    GeeWiz 2.7 Kernel - 3.29.2012
    • Add a 15-second touchkey backlight timeout (djp952)
    GeeWiz 2.7 Recovery - 3.29.2012
    • Update BusyBox to v1.19.4
    • Add a 15-second touchkey backlight timeout (djp952)

GeeWiz 2.8

April 16, 2012

GeeWiz 2.8 ROM - 4.16.2012
    • Updated Google Play Books to v2.4.2
    • Updated Google Play Store to v3.5.16
    • Updated Google+ to v2.5.0.329322
    • Updated Google Maps Street View to v1.7.2.0
    • [MOD] SettingsProvider: Don't disable wifi in airplane mode (requires a data wipe or a manual DB edit to make this work)
    • [UPDATE-ZIP] An empty /system/init.d is automatically created and permissions are properly applied to it
    GeeWiz 2.8 Kernel - 4.16.2012
    • Configurable touch-key timeout (see next post)
    • Configurable in-call volume boost (see next post)
    GeeWiz 2.8 Recovery - 4.16.2012
    • No changes

GeeWiz 2.8.1

April 25, 2012

GeeWiz 2.8.1 ROM - 4.25.2012
    • [MOD] Replace Bluetooth audio modules with versions from CyanogenMod (Zong00)
    • Updated Google Maps to v6.5.1
    • Updated Google Drive to v1.0.77

GeeWiz 2.9

September 27, 2012

GeeWiz 2.9 ROM - 9.27.2012
    • Updated Google Drive to v1.1.4.12
    • Updated Gmail to v2.3.6
    • Updated Google Play Books to v2.6.30
    • Updated Google Play Music to v4.3.609.436083
    • Updated Google Play Store to v3.8.17
    • Updated Google+ to v3.1.1.32879387
    • Updated Google Maps to v6.12.0
    • Updated Street View to v1.8.1.0
    • Updated Superuser to v3.1.3
    • Updated Superuser su binary to v3.1.1
    • Updated Translate to v2.5
    • Updated YouTube to v4.1.23
    • [MOD] Add AtlasParts ("GW Kernel Settings") application to control kernel settings (extra; not mainline)
    GeeWiz 2.9 Kernel - 9.27.2012
    • Add Interactive/InteractiveX/SmartAssV2 Governors
    • Add 1.1GHz/1.2GHz overclock support
    • Add configurable battery SOC/Recharge point
    FYI, I've given up on the "GeeWiz Player" concept for now. Trying to get the YP-G1 ROM (Galaxy Player) to work properly has proven to be as hard as removing the phone/CDMA options from the stock EH03 ROM for me. These are changes above my skill level.

I think I would be better off and spend less time porting AOSP Ice Cream Sandwich to this device, and of course that's already been done, making the effort somewhat moot. The only value-add I can think of would be to bypass the "MTD" nature of all the current high-level mods and make something that would work with the stock partitions and RFS, but that doesn't seem like something anyone would want :(

I have one more idea to try, that would be to code up a custom RIL (Radio Interface Layer) that just kills CDMA/Phone and allows other things to work, but that would still feel like a pretty big hack that doesn't add a lot of value for anyone. What do you guys think? I gave it a couple tries and it's just not working out. Is this something that would really benefit us as our devices become obsolete and get replaced, or is this just a waste of time? I would honestly like to hear your opinions ...

FWIW, I am also working on GeeWiz 2.8, which I expect to be the final EH03/Gingerbread/GeeWiz 2.x release and is looking more and more like the "end" to GeeWiz altogether. I'm going to add some scripts to deal with the newer experimental kernel settings as requested and I have a really cool custom boot animation that was made for GeeWiz that I've yet to share, but unless Samsung releases that "Value Pack" for the Fascinate in the near future (which I find extremely unlikely), I think this may be it. I honestly believe that my contributions have run their course, and frankly it seems the lionshare of folks have understandably moved on from the Fascinate (or at least Gingerbread) at this point. All good, I'm very content knowing that for a short time I was able to make a few people's lives a teeny bit better :) :)
    It is with both pleasure and remorse that I have posted the final base version of GeeWiz Gingerbread for the Verizon Fascinate:

GeeWiz 2.8 - ** FINAL ITERATION **

April 16, 2012

GeeWiz 2.8 ROM - 4.16.2012
    • Updated Google Play Books to v2.4.2
    • Updated Google Play Store to v3.5.16
    • Updated Google+ to v2.5.0.329322
    • Updated Google Maps Street View to v1.7.2.0
    • [MOD] SettingsProvider: Don't disable wifi in airplane mode (requires a data wipe or a manual DB edit to make this work)
    • [UPDATE-ZIP] An empty /system/init.d is automatically created and permissions are properly applied to it
    GeeWiz 2.8 Kernel - 4.16.2012
    • Configurable touch-key timeout (see fourth post)
    • Configurable in-call volume boost (see fourth post)
    GeeWiz 2.8 Recovery - 4.16.2012
    • No changes

As always it's already out of date as Google updated Maps after I uploaded all the files. It wouldn't be a GeeWiz release if you didn't have to download some manner of update after flashing it!

There are still a couple outstanding to-dos on my plate that I am working on, but they will be released as "extras" or patches rather than a full release. I am also working on a "howto" guide to configure a GeeWiz-based Fascinate as a "Player" device that does not require a contract/CDMA access to work. Stay tuned, I'm not dead quite yet (but the body is getting kinda cold)

I also want to reiterate one more time how much fun I've had working on this. I learned an amazing amount of things about Linux/Android, but the real fun for me was communicating with all of you. I know I haven't been able to make everyone happy and from time to time have even backed out of changes I said I would do (sorry), but I am thankful for and extremely pleased with the way everything has ended up. I hope that I will become a contributing member of the community again someday soon, albeit with a different device (and hopefully with source code - lol).

I hope that GeeWiz 2.8 holds up for everyone until their Fascinates are long gone and replaced. Mine is now a couple weeks away from it's contractual demise, but it's been a great device and I look forward to passing it along as a wifi-only device permanently in airplane mode to my niece and nephew so they can play Angry Birds well after they were supposed to go to bed and be asleep. My sister-in-law will love me forever for this.

:cool:

djp952