Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,180 Members 46,914 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

the LAG thread --__--

Tip us?

aidanbree
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Hi,
Had the same issue as everyone else is experiencing and can confirm the instructions on the Jays buttery goodness thread work to resolve the issue. You need root though...

It's in the development forum

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to aidanbree For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lordlad
Old
(Last edited by lordlad; 14th September 2012 at 08:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 10
I have not fully verified that this resolved the 'lag' issue but here's what i did...

I got a Nexus 7 16gb, running stock, rooted, running Franco Kernel R6.....

got about 2.6gb free...what i did is i turned off fsync(). screenshot as below

with fsync() on:

with fsync() off:

ChrisM001
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Turning off fsync which is done in Franco kernel or some other receipts for buttery smoothness is no real solution as it may cause data corruption. Device should be able to show acceptable IO performance without this tweak.

lordlad
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM001 View Post
Turning off fsync which is done in Franco kernel or some other receipts for buttery smoothness is no real solution as it may cause data corruption. Device should be able to show acceptable IO performance without this tweak.

i agree but in this case, i think the 'problem' is not due to android OS itself (since my Galaxy Nexus yield no such problem) but more of a hardware 'defect'.....now i put quotes on the word defect because technically, the hardware in question, which is the flash storage in itself, is working and not really 'breaking down'. However granted that Asus uses cheaper flash memory with pretty bad IO speed, i think it's pretty much that there's not much we can do about it. I don't think RMA from google will help too. For now, all we can do is apply all these minor hacks and tweaks and hope that their component quality selection will be much better in future nexus devices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lordlad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jay Aristide
Old
Thanks Meter 900

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM001 View Post

While I agree it should be able to show decent I/o out of the box, I will say I've been turning off fsync and remounting /data noauto_da_alloc for years and never had a problem. If it works to alleviate the problem then it works to alleviate the problem. While I accept and acknowledge there is a hardware defect somewhere in the nand on a lot of n7s, if this fix works for someone and they're happy, you've no business discounting it.
Google Nexus 4 16GB running the latest ParanoidAndroid with _motley's kernel.
Google Nexus 7 16GB running the latest ParanoidAndroid and Jay's Recipe for Buttery Goodness with _motley's kernel.

If I helped you, please hit the "Thanks" button (it makes me feel special )!

hyperspacey
Old
Thanks Meter 40
I'm thinking this is a launch-era hardware issue due to a dodgy memory controller or something (or Asus cutting corners to meet demand). If people would be so kind as to post their build date/ serial from the inside of the back plate I'd appreciate it, maybe we can narrow it down to a release hardware problem and know we could replace it with newer units.

Mine:
Build date 2012/05/26
14007-00530400
3DC

ExploreMN
Old
Thanks Meter 460
I have to admit, I loved my N7 since day 1 and would sing to its glory, but the lag is getting a little annoying. For example, this thing simply cannot download an app in the background and install it without hanging the whole system. I mean seriously, my G1 was able to do that and the Fascinate I have laying around the house that's what, 3-4 years old now...no problem. I can't sync email while browsing the web, etc. So even though I have no other issues at all, I might be calling Asus today. This is simply getting too bad and there is zero evidence that Asus or Google is addressing the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Network: Family Mobile (T-Mobile)
Current Devices:Galaxy Note 8.0 , Galaxy Nexus GSM/HSPA+, Nexus 7 (2012), Kindle Touch
Other/Family Devices: Samsung Galaxy S II, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2
Previous Phones: Evo 3D, Epic 4G, , Evo 4G, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung Intercept, T-Mo G1
Previous Tablets:Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 8.9, Kindle Fire, Dell Streak 7, Asus Transformer, iPad, Archos 101, Nook Color and aPad

jetbruceli
Old
Thanks Meter 434

DONATE TO ME
Hey all, I have come to the conclusion that if I have a root and cwm my device becomes laggy after some heavy gaming or useage. I relocked and went unrooted and no lag appears at all.
Not sure if it's a particular root app doing it or what. I just got my second n7 and will test both and report back

Sent from either Galaxy S3 intl or Nexus 7
both on stock at the moment!!

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExploreMN View Post
I have to admit, I loved my N7 since day 1 and would sing to its glory, but the lag is getting a little annoying. For example, this thing simply cannot download an app in the background and install it without hanging the whole system. I mean seriously, my G1 was able to do that and the Fascinate I have laying around the house that's what, 3-4 years old now...no problem. I can't sync email while browsing the web, etc. So even though I have no other issues at all, I might be calling Asus today. This is simply getting too bad and there is zero evidence that Asus or Google is addressing the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Mine downloads and works fine. But even then, I don't usually do much when downloading.

Sent from either Galaxy S3 intl or Nexus 7
both on stock at the moment!!
Forget thanks, I want a high five!

JNeail
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNeail View Post
So from what I can read here we're not yet clear on whats causing the slowdown/lag issue but with many thoughts linking this to free space?

My Nexus is:
- 16GB UK Version
- 1.8gb of free space (having deleted lots of stuff now now I've forced Google play/music to work in the UK)
- stock ROM
- not rooted
- has nothing odd loaded (twitter/facebook/onenote/a few other bits etc) and all from the official play.Google.com store except flash and BBC iPlayer (sourced from this forum)

Seems there may be other theories other than ram and io speed issues, but (and having called/mailed for support), both Google and Asus don't acknowledge these issues, yet the internet is rife with tails of woe like ours here!

So my question is - what are we able to do about it? Is here a way to en-mass register a complaint, surely there is a is patch that can fix this that Google can issue. I can't believe h/w is at fault here as the device isn't that unusual I.e same components in many other manufactured devices. Yet something is wrong, perhaps a petition, any takers?

Have spoken again to Asus UK Support today - and they have passed my issue to 2nd-line support but at this stage are still claiming to be unaware of any issues! Advise from support agent was to ensure I always ensure adequate free space, otherwise, just like a PC the device is likely to go slow....!! I did remind him of th 13.2GB I get to play with that means I only get around 10 before I run in to trouble - he didn't flinch!

sym_richard
Old
(Last edited by sym_richard; 14th September 2012 at 07:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Experienced unusable laggy after storage space dropped to under 5Gb. After did the backup, unlock, root, factory reset, back to lighting speed.

Hopefully Google or Asus can release the fix soon.