Why Do People Complain About Battery?

Search This thread

skatin707

Jun 23, 2011
Honolulu, HI
My battery life sucks right now, but I'm using a work in progress rom. It's to be expected that I'm not going to have days and days.

I typically get 2 to 3hrs screen on time with 10hrs off charger right now. I'm working some kinks out, but it's getting better and better. Brightness is all the way down, always. Gps is never on, same with blue tooth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

pngface

Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
With AMOLED and Android u gotta take special measures to get good battery life:
- kill bloatware. NostalgiaTurboSlim script will help. Or freeze unneeded apps - like Maps and enable them only when needed.
- disable various notifications - Play Market, WiFi etc
- disable ads - root and download AdAway app - they steal your mobile traffic, battery life and make you blind!
- put dark nonLive Wallpaper
- remove any widgets you don't use. I just removed all of them.
- disable animations and transitions
- disable haptic feedback
- disable touch tones/sounds/vibrations
- try using nonAuto brightness (I gave up on that - sunlight does not allow me to change anything manually)
- disable autorotation
- use dark Opera browser user.css
- use inverted or dark themed apps and Gapps, there is dark MMS, Twitter and Facebook in my ROM
- downclock CPU to 1GHz, or enable PowerSave On.
- use modern KToonsez kernel with PegasusQ governor, it downclocks CPU during screen off
- use CPU1 disabler script if your ROM/kernel supports it
- keep chargers around you, buy them at amazon
- buy spare OEM battery - I'm against aftermarket batteries, they are all fake rated

Or just buy latest iPhone 5 and enjoy.
Remember: Android is for tinkerers! That's why we love it! :victory:

You might as well use a feature phone :p

Reactions: zmore

cloudyphiz

Jun 9, 2010
I can easily get 18h with 3h screen time before charging (and that includes 9h at work with a terrible signal). My first phone was barely half of that though,luckily for me it died and the replacement has been awesome. I have to wonder if many people who are complaining about poor battery life don't have similarly defective phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

kristophor

Sep 20, 2011
i heard bad case can cause phone to over heat and the battery goes faster this way. wondering if this is true. =/

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda premium

skatin707

Jun 23, 2011
Honolulu, HI
i heard bad case can cause phone to over heat and the battery goes faster this way. wondering if this is true. =/

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda premium

This is very true, at least the higher heat part. I don't truly understand how heat changes can affect battery discharge, but it's possible as well.

Euphoria64

Sep 13, 2012
Dallas area
Coming from an iPhone 4 here, from what I can tell the battery use is fairly similar between the two. However, the iPhone was leaps and BOUNDS better with idle battery usage. My iPhone would barely move if at all during the night while asleep, but my S3 will lose 7-10% battery during a 7-8 hour period of just sitting there. This may not seem like much but like I said my iPhone 4 would literally have no change in battery or if it did it would be 1-2%. If you add up all this idle usage over an entire day, that equates to a lot of wasted battery use in my opinion.

liltitiz

Aug 15, 2012
Québec
Coming from an iPhone 4 here, from what I can tell the battery use is fairly similar between the two. However, the iPhone was leaps and BOUNDS better with idle battery usage. My iPhone would barely move if at all during the night while asleep, but my S3 will lose 7-10% battery during a 7-8 hour period of just sitting there. This may not seem like much but like I said my iPhone 4 would literally have no change in battery or if it did it would be 1-2%. If you add up all this idle usage over an entire day, that equates to a lot of wasted battery use in my opinion.

Use a screen off profile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Nexii

Aug 9, 2012
Houston,TX
It's funny to see how some people are like, og I take my smartphone and turn off all the smart features my phone does. If battery really does concern you, get a stoneage Nokia.

Reactions: liltitiz

liltitiz

Aug 15, 2012
Québec
It's funny to see how some people are like, og I take my smartphone and turn off all the smart features my phone does. If battery really does concern you, get a stoneage Nokia.

Even using every smartphone features you have more than enough battery to last all day. I don't understand this way of thinking either :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 CM10 + KT747, 96-2106 MHz, noop, ktoonservative, undervolted, 3150mAh battery.

Thanks to: Ktoonsez, Task650 and Cyanogen for their amazing works!

pdelponte

Jul 31, 2012
I had to root, flash CM10, and flash KToons kernel, and undervolt by 50, so my battery would last all day.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347563703365.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347563703365.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 127

TBayTom

Mar 17, 2011
Orlando
Why do people still use some sort of battery management app life JuiceDefender or the like.

GET RID OF THEM NOW !(most of you that use it are probably coming over from an Iphone so you may be new but aren't well educated in how the Android OS works)

This phone comes with its own Task Manager as well as removing unwanted apps that are running in the background that you have previously used and don't need running.

So get rid of these dumb apps that don't do anything.

-End rant.
I use Juice Defender as a data manager, not a task killer... when my screen is turned off, my data is off. Real simple, this isn't a standard feature that the phone provides. Definitely saves battery life at work with 4g LTE running in the background, not sure what you're talking about. I know all about the standard task manager, I have used the captivate, gs2 and now the gs3...

Last edited:

Medlock87

Aug 2, 2012
I was happy with the battery with the stock ROM. After rooting now running jelly bean with ktoonsez kernel, I'm pretty much blown away. :p

liltitiz

Aug 15, 2012
Québec

If you are using kt747 go in the extras option of ktweaker. If using another kernel use something like setcpu and go under profile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 AOKP + KT747, 96-2106 MHz, noop, ktoonservative, undervolted, 3150mAh battery.

Euphoria64

Sep 13, 2012
Dallas area
I'm really curious about that 3150 battery....how much bigger does that make the phone though?? Also, I'm on stock rooted Rom, how would I go about getting a screen off profile? I unfortunately don't have the luxury of a fast internet connection so I literally can't download huge ROMs on my 889 kbps. I've tried thinking I'd just wait hours for it but any link to any ROM that I try to download spontaneously fails an hour or two into the download. Very VERY frustrating.

liltitiz

Aug 15, 2012
Québec
I'm really curious about that 3150 battery....how much bigger does that make the phone though?? Also, I'm on stock rooted Rom, how would I go about getting a screen off profile? I unfortunately don't have the luxury of a fast internet connection so I literally can't download huge ROMs on my 889 kbps. I've tried thinking I'd just wait hours for it but any link to any ROM that I try to download spontaneously fails an hour or two into the download. Very VERY frustrating.

it doesn't make the phone any bigger, exact same size as original battery.
also try this app for your screen off profile:
View attachment SetCPU_for_Root_Users_v3.0.7.apk

you can always flash a custom kernel usually they're way smaller than rom and is what really help battery life

Reactions: Euphoria64

ant_129

Nov 15, 2008
Hey lit, what brand/model number is that battery? Did a quick search on eBay and couldn't find 3150 replacement battery. Found several extended batteries and cases but no 3150 original size battery.

Sent from my At&t GSIII running CM10

liltitiz

Aug 15, 2012
Québec
Consultez cette annonce que j'ai trouvée sur eBay*:

Heure de fin: 2012-09-18 04:52:01

Objet: New 3150mah High Capacity Battery For Samsung Galaxy S III 3 i9300

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261050131364

Autre URL: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-3150mah-High-Capacity-Battery-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-3-i9300-/261050131364

(Envoyé à partir d'eBay*Mobile pour Android)

Try this! It is what I have right now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 AOKP + KT747, 96-2106 MHz, noop, ktoonservative, undervolted, 3150mAh battery.

Reactions: ant_129

artisticcheese

Aug 26, 2003
www.unixsucks.com
How on earth some Hong Kong manufacturer was able to produce battery with higher capacity and for $10 while multinational giant like Samsung failed to do so? I smell placebo big time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Best battery life for SGS3

- kill bloatware. NostalgiaTurboSlim script will help. Or freeze unneeded apps - like Maps and enable them only when needed.
    - disable ads - root and download AdAway app - they steal your mobile traffic, battery life and make you blind!
    - try using nonAuto brightness (I gave up on that - sunlight does not allow me to change anything manually)
    - disable autorotation
    - use inverted or dark themed apps and Gapps, there is dark MMS, Twitter and Facebook in my ROM
    - use modern KToonsez kernel with PegasusQ governor, it downclocks CPU during screen off
    - buy spare OEM battery - I'm against aftermarket batteries, they are all fake rated

- disable autorotation

You might as well use a feature phone :p

it doesn't make the phone any bigger, exact same size as original battery.
    also try this app for your screen off profile:
    View attachment SetCPU_for_Root_Users_v3.0.7.apk

you can always flash a custom kernel usually they're way smaller than rom and is what really help battery life
    Consultez cette annonce que j'ai trouvée sur eBay*:

Heure de fin: 2012-09-18 04:52:01

Objet: New 3150mah High Capacity Battery For Samsung Galaxy S III 3 i9300

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261050131364

Autre URL: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-3150mah-High-Capacity-Battery-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-3-i9300-/261050131364

(Envoyé à partir d'eBay*Mobile pour Android)

Try this! It is what I have right now