I HAD A BIG DREAM... BUILDING MY EXYNOS QUADCORE DREAM TABLET... Ideas Wanted!!

Search This thread

JSchlossstein

Sep 19, 2012
Berlin
Hello XDA! Greetings from Berlin. :highfive:

My name is Johann I'm a Berlin based Electronics Engineer.

You may be wondering why I'm posting here... Right? Well... I'm building my big dream... The fastest ever Android QuadCore tablet based on an Exynos SOC. Yes, the 4412.

Is there anybody here who wants to give me some suggestions?

From now on, my team and I have successfully integrated the SOC, a GPS + BT module, and, an HD Screen.

What would you like to see on a tablet?

Reactions: eko3484

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

You may be wondering why I'm posting here... Right? Well... I'm building my big dream... The fastest ever Android QuadCore tablet based on an Exynos SOC. Yes, the 4412.

From now on, my team and I have successfully integrated the SOC, a GPS + BT module, and, an HD Screen.

Isn't that essentially the Note 10.1?

Reactions: JSchlossstein

PantechBurstOwner

May 21, 2012
Detroit, MI
Well first let me say this is the coolest thing i've seen on here, i know nothing about phone/tablet hardware but i know a LOT about computer hardware, since this is a tablet would a laptop GPU work in it? Also if possible you should try and take a 4G antenna from another tablet and put it in here, Also could you give us detailed specs? Like the PPI and such of the screen?

JSchlossstein

Sep 19, 2012
Berlin
Well first let me say this is the coolest thing i've seen on here, i know nothing about phone/tablet hardware but i know a LOT about computer hardware, since this is a tablet would a laptop GPU work in it? Also if possible you should try and take a 4G antenna from another tablet and put it in here, Also could you give us detailed specs? Like the PPI and such of the screen?

Hi PantechBurstOwner

That's a good idea. We've been researching about the 4G module, and, actually testing it.

The screen we're testing now is an HD 1024x768px, this one is a normal IPS screen (132PPI from LG), but there's a better one comming. I'll update as soon as it arrives here.

For the 4G modem, the main challange is to find a module thin enough to fit on the casing. On the picture attached you can see the left prototype has 3G module in (A 4G one will fit too), and, the right one is much thinner, and, a 4G module doesn't fit :(

Attachments

• Comparation_3Gmodule.jpg
    Comparation_3Gmodule.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 654
Reactions: lavaclaw

PantechBurstOwner

May 21, 2012
Detroit, MI
Hi PantechBurstOwner

That's a good idea. We've been researching about the 4G module, and, actually testing it.

The screen we're testing now is an HD 1024x768px, this one is a normal IPS screen (132PPI from LG), but there's a better one comming. I'll update as soon as it arrives here.

For the 4G modem, the main challange is to find a module thin enough to fit on the casing. On the picture attached you can see the left prototype has 3G module in (A 4G one will fit too), and, the right one is much thinner, and, a 4G module doesn't fit :(

I think the dimensions of the nexus 7 is prefect, yours looks a bit more like kindle fire HD, personally not a fan of it but I'd still use it :p. Also what are your plans for the speakers and GPU?

JSchlossstein

Sep 19, 2012
Berlin
I think the dimensions of the nexus 7 is prefect, yours looks a bit more like kindle fire HD, personally not a fan of it but I'd still use it :p. Also what are your plans for the speakers and GPU?

Thanks for the comments. For the GPU it'll be the ARM's Mali400 MP (4 Cores Version), the same being used by the Galaxy S3. The CPU will be clocked at 1.6GHZ, so it'll be smooth.

Now we're thinking about the Firmware, as our prototype is now running on Stock Android, but my idea is to do something more impressive.

Which firmware would you love to see running on it? Cyanogen?

thebeastglasser

Mar 11, 2012
Cyanogenmod would be great, if it's smaller though (think 7 inches) think Paranoid Android.

What would really differentiate it, would be if you already had a dual boot preinstalled on it with a little taste of everything. i.e. MIUI, CM10, and one more ultra customizable ROM (I suppose CM10) with themes that could be applied straight through the software. I understand this would probably be a pain to do, but it would make your tablet the MOST versatile tablet out there.

Also, consider like Asus, you may want to consider shoving a port on the bottom for a keyboard dock. Big fan of keyboards...

(Yes I understand I'm practically spamming you with ideas and not many of them are possible, nonetheless, lots of ideas are better than none... no?)

Reactions: thebobp

PantechBurstOwner

May 21, 2012
Detroit, MI
Thanks for the comments. For the GPU it'll be the ARM's Mali400 MP (4 Cores Version), the same being used by the Galaxy S3. The CPU will be clocked at 1.6GHZ, so it'll be smooth.

Now we're thinking about the Firmware, as our prototype is now running on Stock Android, but my idea is to do something more impressive.

some magical custom firmware with an awesome name, :) also whats the specs on the battery?

Whitesands

Sep 18, 2012

Would you consider a proposal to the cyanogenmod team? It'll be nice to see a highly customizable stock firmware on a tablet..

Rebellos

Senior Recognized Developer
May 13, 2009
Gdańsk
Big +1
Ain't using separate 4G module too expensive? I don't think there should be any problem in fitting it onboard if you integrate it into one PCB design.
I'd like to see all unused cpu I/Os breaked out into set of pads onboard and documented, like UART, second USB port, I2C bus, FIMC interfaces and so on. :)

Also, don't get me wrong but if this project doesn't get realised (I really wish it does) - please publish non-NDA documentation. :]

Reactions: trevd

E:V:A

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2011
-∇ϕ
This goes straight to my Christmas wish list!

But instead of a crippled Cyanogenmod I'd rather see dual-booting to Ubuntu and perhaps some Linaro builds. Staying close to Samsung SGS3 stock, may be a good idea for compatibility issues.

USB3 + HDMI + Front-facing Cam + JTAG over USB support (1149.7, NIDnT) + possibly UART HW debug

But perhaps more importantly, everything should be easily accessible from outside your platform so we can help hacking it back into shape when something goes wrong! Second, make sure we can freely mess with the boot configuration... I'd be happy to help sponsoring the low profile SMT DIP switch for boot config.

attachment.php

If you have space problems you should seriously consider using a quad-core (Krait) Snapdragon S4 Pro (MSM8960T) PoP SoC instead. Because if not, you'll need external modem support. So in your current configuration, what modem are you using? If you use the Intel XMM6260 you'll need a lot more support components, AFAICT, unless their new flagship (XMM7160) has managed even more integration somehow.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• ramka_1389.jpg
    ramka_1389.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 903
Last edited:
Reactions: thebeastglasser

thebobp

Feb 16, 2012
Exynos 4 going to be outdated soon.

Regardless, I hope this tablet sees the light of day. A tablet that lets you easily install custom ROMs by default has been long overdue.

(Or, yes, an ubuntu tablet, though I'm not sure if even A15 would be fast enough.)

Last edited:

mfsr98

Nov 26, 2011
Porto
Well, this is a great idea :D First I would consider not using 4G if you don't want to go in an expensive way... I would also consider using Stock Android ROM for the fans out there :D (like for example with the G Nexus) Processor you can use the powerful one from the Galaxy Note 10.1, but I also like tegra processors.
Subscribing to this thread! :D

E:V:A

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2011
-∇ϕ

It's the "latest" ST-Ericsson NovaThor LP9600 (aka Nova A9600)!

2.5GHz, 28 nm Technology. Dual ARM Cortex-A9 Harvard Superscalar processor core, Multi-layer AHB/AXI bus, ARM TrustZone, ARM NEON SIMD engine, dual-channel LP-DDR2 SD RAM interface, 1080p HDMI, Rogue GPU, 1080p video encode, 1080p video decode, 3D HD video capture and display, QXGA display support, Dual camera support up to 20 Mpixel and 5 Mpixel, USB 2.0
But because of ST-Ericssons financial troubles, it's unlikely we'll see any full scale production of this chip within the next 6 months...if ever.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Isn't that essentially the Note 10.1?

Hi PantechBurstOwner

Cyanogenmod would be great, if it's smaller though (think 7 inches) think Paranoid Android.

What would really differentiate it, would be if you already had a dual boot preinstalled on it with a little taste of everything. i.e. MIUI, CM10, and one more ultra customizable ROM (I suppose CM10) with themes that could be applied straight through the software. I understand this would probably be a pain to do, but it would make your tablet the MOST versatile tablet out there.

Also, consider like Asus, you may want to consider shoving a port on the bottom for a keyboard dock. Big fan of keyboards...

(Yes I understand I'm practically spamming you with ideas and not many of them are possible, nonetheless, lots of ideas are better than none... no?)