Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,349 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Apps without rooting

Tip us?

abhijitxp
Old
(Last edited by abhijitxp; 21st September 2012 at 04:30 AM.) Reason: Update
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default Google Apps without rooting

I have got YouTube, Gmail, Currents and Google Maps working in the Kindle Fire HD without rooting. However Google Maps is not able to get the location from Wifi and is not able to sign in using the following process. I was unable to get GTalk (also attached) to work so far. The following process does not use GoogleServicesFramework as was used in the Gingerbread version of Kindle Fire.

I have modded the apps with high resolution 256x256 icons for display in Kindle Fire Carousel using the following guide.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1495854

I have used You Tube 3.5.5 modded for HD playback. Alternatively this works with any of the APKs found in the following topic or built for Ice Cream Sandwich.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1529715

1. Enable installation of applications from unknown sources in Kindle Fire Settings.
2. Install GoogleLoginService.apk.
3. Reboot.
4. Install the Google Apps.
5. Start YouTube. Sign In. It will take you to Google Account Manager to create/use existing Google credentials.
6. Same goes for other apps. In case sign in fails for any of the apps (except Maps/GTalk) drag down the Kindle Fire notification bar, click on the notification for "Permission requested....." and assign required permissions.

The files can be downloaded from here
https://www.box.com/s/kf6n8qpdncscnhmsz3ox

UPDATE: Thanks to alkemist80, installing GoogleServicesFramework.apk, rebooting & installing Talk from the following post, Talk works perfectly fine on Kindle Fire HD, unless it goes into sleep mode.
(If existing apps stop responding at this point, remove and reinstall them)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=20
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to abhijitxp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

robertc88
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Wow! Guess I owe you one big time!

Followed the directions provided and viola!

Misfit77
Old
(Last edited by Misfit77; 19th September 2012 at 09:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitxp View Post
I have got YouTube, Gmail, Currents and Google Maps working in the Kindle Fire HD without rooting. However Google Maps is not able to get the location from Wifi and is not able to sign in using the following process. I was unable to get GTalk (also attached) to work so far. The following process does not use GoogleServicesFramework as was used in the Gingerbread version of Kindle Fire.

I have modded the apps with high resolution 256x256 icons for display in Kindle Fire Carousel using the following guide.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1495854

I have used You Tube 3.5.5 modded for HD playback. Alternatively this works with any of the APKs found in the following topic or built for Ice Cream Sandwich.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1529715

1. Enable installation of applications from unknown sources in Kindle Fire Settings.
2. Install GoogleLoginService.apk.
3. Reboot.
4. Install the Google Apps.
5. Start YouTube. Sign In. It will take you to Google Account Manager to create/use existing Google credentials.
6. Same goes for other apps. In case sign in fails for any of the apps (except Maps/GTalk) drag down the Kindle Fire notification bar, click on the notification for "Permission requested....." and assign required permissions.

The files can be downloaded from here
https://www.box.com/s/kf6n8qpdncscnhmsz3ox

Any help getting GTalk to work would be appreciated.

When I first got my fire I side loaded Gtalk after installing GoogleServicesFramework and it worked fine. I just installed the GoogleLoginService.apk and was able to log in to Youtube just fine but that does seem to have broken Gtalk for me. The gtalk .apk I was using just hangs while trying to sign me in. The one you provided immediately force closes when I try to open it. It seems to be trying to log me in as "@youtube.com" as opposed to "@gmail.com". I have been able to get it to let me sign incorrectly with gmail/drive/youtube but I don't get a chance to choose my log in as gtalk tries to start right up. That is weird that is was working before and now it's not. Any ideas?

Update: Using a google maps .apk I had as opposed to the one you included I was able to get maps up and running flawlessly as well as Navigation with turn by turn. I was also able to get Google Drive working as well. Here is the maps .apk I used:https://www.dropbox.com/s/lh5a4h9i6e...pps.maps-1.apk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misfit77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abhijitxp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Thanks for the maps apk, I will try it out. Well, multiple google/drive/youtube login thing never happened for me. Are you having both of these files - Gingerbread version of GoogleServicesFramework.apk and ICS version of GoogleLoginService.apk in the system? It could cause a problem. Otherwise doing a Clear Data on the GoogleLoginService (Google Account Manager) may clean up those ids.

dmullens
Old
(Last edited by dmullens; 20th September 2012 at 05:17 AM.) Reason: misspelled
Thanks Meter 17
Default drive

I can't get drive to.work. keeps telling me that drive has stopped. I installed it from 1mobile and app brain. Any suggestions?

Misfit77
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitxp View Post
Thanks for the maps apk, I will try it out. Well, multiple google/drive/youtube login thing never happened for me. Are you having both of these files - Gingerbread version of GoogleServicesFramework.apk and ICS version of GoogleLoginService.apk in the system? It could cause a problem. Otherwise doing a Clear Data on the GoogleLoginService (Google Account Manager) may clean up those ids.
I believe they are both ICS. Not to sound like a noob but what do you mean "clearing data ont he GoogleLoginService"?

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmullens View Post
I can't get drive to.work. keeps telling me that drive has stopped. I installed it from 1mobile and app brain. Any suggestions?
I had just GoogleServiceFramework installed and it did not work. After I also installed GoogleLoginService from above I could able to get looged into Drive and able to access my files. I hope this helps.

dmullens
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit77 View Post

I had just GoogleServiceFramework installed and it did not work. After I also installed GoogleLoginService from above I could able to get looged into Drive and able to access my files. I hope this helps.
Okay. Do you have a good source for that apk?

Also I believe he is referring to going into the Application Management settings area and clearing the data.

Thanks!

javier21
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks..

Varlokkur
Old
Thanks Meter 2
thanks! Has anyone tried side loading Google Calendars or Reader yet?

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

alkemist80
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit77 View Post
When I first got my fire I side loaded Gtalk after installing GoogleServicesFramework and it worked fine. [/URL]
How did you get gtalk to work? Which apk did you use? My fire HD is rooted and GoogleServicesFramework installed and every time I open gtalk, it force closes immediately. I hardly even get a chance to see the error screen before it clears. Everything else I have installed works, play, maps and youtube.

The Following User Says Thank You to alkemist80 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]