Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,368 Members 51,621 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Are OEMs actually allowed to market a vanilla Android device that isn't a Nexus line?

Tip us?

generic.imitation
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Default Are OEMs actually allowed to market a vanilla Android device that isn't a Nexus line?

It's a simple question, but without a simple answer. With all of the OEMs in the Android environment, none of them have ever released a phone with vanilla Android without the direct partnership (or prodding) of Google in some way.

Most everyone agrees that the OEMs want to differentiate themselves from the competition and this is how they go about it, but why hasn't one ever released a phone without additional "features" or UI overlays? It doesn't make sense to believe Google isn't somehow leveraging their brand recognition of the Nexus line when dealing with OEMs.

Has an OEM pushed out a vanilla Android Jellybean device (or ICS) not in the Nexus line that still comes with Gapps?

Edit:
Meant for Android General, not Nexus 7 forum.

daveid
Old
Thanks Meter 284
The LG G2X was pure AOSP and not a Nexus, I'm sure there are other examples. But your specific question is about Jelly Bean, which is probably still too new for a manufacturer to release a phone with a vanilla build. Either way, you are certainly wrong in assuming no OEMs have released a pure AOSP device that wasn't a Nexus.

gagdude
Old
Thanks Meter 564

DONATE TO ME
There's a world out there of stock Android phones non Nexus.
Mostly low end phone though. Also the first Android phones like the G1, mytouch 3g, Motorola Droid, etc. were all stock.
Still phones being released quite lately (t mobile prism, zte avail) are stock.

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium
MY LINE OF DEVICES

Bold indicates daily driver, r indicates rooted/ROM'd

iPod Touch 4 | Motorola Cliq - r | LG Ally - r | Motorola Droid - r | Motorola Droid 2 | Samsung Focus | Motorola Flipside - r | LG MyTouch Q - r | Kyocera Rise | LG Nexus 4 - r | Motorola Atrix 2 | HTC Droid DNA - r | LG Nexus 5 - r | HTC One M8 - r

zacthespack
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1740

DONATE TO ME
In the old days OEMs rrleased with stock android both my htc magic and motorola milestone came with stock android (1.6 and 2.0 respectively).
But these days most phones have very simlar hardware and with so many phones on the market the only way they can stand out is to include there own UI or enhanced apps. Since HTC released there first version of sense there has become a big market for companys to build and change android to make it "better" (some cases done better than others)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Code:
question = 2*b || !(2*b)
"The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents."

Code:
class Luke extends Jedi {
    function checkFather($father) {
        if ($father-]name == 'Darth Vader')
            die('NOOOOO!!');
    }
}

sarreq
Old
Thanks Meter 15
they're certainly allowed to. it's the OEMs who choose to much their phones up with their custom crap.

vetvito
Old
Thanks Meter 179
And Carriers who don't the same looking phone on store shelves.

⚡sent from my Nexus S 👽

tatperson
Old
Thanks Meter 170
If you look at the Asus Padfone and those from Acer, they all come with vanilla Android. So yes, they are allowed to

Sent from that Atrix... Motorola, where's my ICS?!
HTC Touch 2. BlackBerry Bold 9000. Motorola Atrix 4G. Samsung Galaxy S4.