Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,760 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone (?) wifi crashing home router

Tip us?

Rudjgaard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 523
Default [Q] Phone (?) wifi crashing home router

Hi guys, I've been having trouble with my home router since i got a smartphone (xperia active).
I've had my current router for over two years, have the desktop wired to it and a laptop which uses wireless, and never had any particular issues. Eversince my phone got on the wireless network this causes the router to lockup in random and unpredictable ways. I've done a lot of searching on the web and found tons of people reporting wireless issues using multiple devices on home network, especially with tablets (KF in particular) but none gives a solution to the problem. The router is running fw from a USR9108, i never had problems with friends coming over for lan sessions or general browsing and never skipped a beat with up to 4 devices connected at the same time (no smartphones).
Since the phone came along i've been suffering from random wireless lockups, sometimes 3 in a day, sometimes once in a week, which require a hard reboot to get internet access back (once wifi is gone also eth loses connectivity)
Desktop (eth) + phone = no problem
Desktop (eth) + laptop (wifi) = no problem
Laptop + phone = wireless lockup

I tried switching wifi channel, giving the laptop and pc a static ip and making custom routing tables, i have removed anything which could cause overload of requests, double checked all dhcp settings, but all to no avail. After browsing a while leds on the router become static and the wireless one turns off. I've read somewhere it might be related to ipv6...
Has anyone got some suggestions I could try out before trashing the router for another one (with no gurantee this will solve the problem?)
Thanks for any advice

kuisma
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Try flashing your router using OpenWrt, DdWrt, Tomato or similar firmware, if your vendors software is buggy.
The Following User Says Thank You to kuisma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]